test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Build for a Melee & Ranged character?

cosmiclad1cosmiclad1 Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Power Discussion
Hello all!

I signed up for the @#$% Perfect World account just so I could return to the forums to post this question!

I've just been returning to the game the last few weeks, and there have been changes from the last time I played, like the specializations, and I don't think Ego did that much specifically for ranged damage previously. And I sure didn't get 3 super stats, so it's been a bit.):eek:

So, I have an older toon, who I LOVE, but I'm not sure quite how to have him be built with some of the more recent changes.

I tend to give him some of the Might powers, like Roomsweeper, and some of the Darkness powers,like Shadow Bolt and Shadow Embrace, along with Rebuke and Invulnerability.

I know it's kinda an odd collection...he's kinda supposed to be super strong, and a powerful energy weilder...
Now, if Strength does Melee damage, and Ego does ranged, should I go with those 2, and then what...? Constituion for HP? Recovery for the Equilibrium (I love having my energy be up), Intellegence for reduced costs...?
Does ANYONE do STR & EGO together...? Or am I just crazy???:confused:

Thanks for any help!!
:biggrin:
Post edited by cosmiclad1 on

Comments

• Options
    magitek3magitek3 Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You can certainly go STR/EGO as a themed build, but unless your heart is really set on having both melee and ranged, it's better to just stick to one.

Even then, STR and EGO don't really do a whole lot other than boost melee/ranged damage, and it's not difficult to get a fair amount of the appropriate stat without choosing it as a Superstat. STR is kind of useful against knockback mobs, I suppose, but you can just as easily go CON as your primary stat and pick up the anti-knockback specialization.
  • Options
    stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you like mixing Darkness with melee, try doing this: Pick Con for your third SS. Get the shadow lunge with emerging nightmares (Emerging Nightmares causes enemies around you to be feared).

Pick up the darkness EB (which is based off con and grants energy when striking a feared enemy with dimensional attacks)

Get Burning Chi Fist from Unarmed, and get the adv Fist of Righteous Flame (charging it up fully gives your melee attacks an added dimensional damage buff).
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    All things told, I'm actually really curious what the Vindicator Mastery would do for a Str/Ego character.

One of my characters is a DEX/Str/Ego guardian, and will probably be using that mastery or just the DEX one. The build handles energy extremely well and completely destroys mobs with Laser Pulse Beam and Avalance for ranged, and Dragon's Wrath and Gauntlet Chainsaw upclose. Use of Form of the Tempest gives it a slight melee-bent as far as damage goes, but the fact it stacks regardless of attack type makes it still very versatile.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Shadow Embrace, Roomsweeper, Invuln...? So it's... some kind of Darkness/melee tank?

I think I can do that....

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Ego (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Scourge
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training
    Level 9: Martial Training
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina
    Level 15: Relentless
    Level 18: Quick Recovery
    Level 21: Wordly

Powers:
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Dark Displacement, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 14: Enrage
    Level 17: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Chi Flame)
    Level 23: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 26: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia, Paranormal Paranoia)
    Level 29: Open Palm Strike (Rank 2, Focused Chi Blast)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Shadow Shroud
    Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Power Flight
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
    Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (1/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Quick Healing (1/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    cosmiclad1cosmiclad1 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thank you everybody for all the responses, it's given me a lot to think about!

I think I might try that last build that was suggested...although I may still try to sneak Roomsweeper & Haymaker in there as I found them quite fun. (I may still try and squeeze Rebuke in as well...it gave him a nice light contrast to the darks...and a heal... (It's for my Cosmic Lad character, super strong, with 'space-like' powers of 'stars' and 'dark matter'...silly? Perhaps...but I like him...!

I've been having lots of fun this weekend updating old characters to the new systems...

Thank you for the input - any more ideas, I'd love to hear them!:smile: