test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It's SHOWTIME! Giant Robot Concepts!

logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Costumes and Concepts
Ok, this is a semi re-post of some earlier concepts I've posted before. But I've added updates.

So - what follows starts with an homage... to an homage... Hear me out.

Anybody remember Shogun Warriors toys?

If not, maybe you're at least passingly familiar with some of the Super Robot shows that graced Japan's airwaves (ex: Raideen, Danguard Ace, Combattler V, Gaiking) before Gundam turned the whole genre upside down. Then decades later, Evangelion deconstructed (rather brutally) the whole genre (son pilots robot designed by genius father who's a bit of a crackpot etc.)

Well Marvel comics got the license to both Shogun Warriors and Godzilla in the mid-70s and set about making comics of them.

Needless to say - as a wee tot I was in love with em. No matter how bad they actually were. :D

Anyway - appearing in the pages of the Earth 616 Godzilla was another piloted robot clearly inspired by the Shogun Warriors/Super Robot type - Red Ronin.

Around September/October of last year I was playing around with the character creator and came upon a combination of Robot face and mecha wings that sparked my memory of that old series and Red Ronin. So I made an homage.

He's in the game as "Robot Ronin".

Lqzs23e.jpg

I also used Smackwell's child templates to create the pilot of said Kaiju pummeler - Kenji.

Continuing in the great tradition - the robot now will only answer to him.

I even have an explanation for why the robot is NOT Godzilla-sized at the present time and fights normal super-powered crime. Check it -
Rob's own son Kenji was exploring the old test facility when the Qulaar attacked. He decided to try piloting the robot, and it accepted him.

After subduing Cazulon (whom the Qulaar had expanded to full size again) the robot was restraining the monster when Microman's shrinking beam caught both of them.

The robot (and Kenji!) are now slightly 'out of phase' with the rest of the world in regards to their size. The Robot is now 1/10th the size it was before. So is Kenji when he pilots it! He can return to his regular size by disembarking.

So yeah - He's piloting the robot from a cockpit in the head. But if he stepped out of the hatch while the robot is still "human-sized" (which is still about 8-9 feet tall!) he'd be the size of an action figure himself! (In addition to the Super Magnifier device I now have - I also kinda need a Super Shrinker too! Heh)

Anyway - so I've got the concept all solidified.

But there's NOTHING I can do with the other costume slots! I can't think of a bloody thing to do in concept!

So I decided to just use the other slots to make OTHER giant robots for out of character fooling around. :D

And that's where the rest of this post comes in - I've got a few more familiar looking Robots to show you. ^_^

(BTW - since all of these are alt-costumes of a character that uses a partial Devastator build and weaponry, I've got poses in the editor that show a sword (or a hammer). Mind - that's not in-character for some of these robots. But it does allow for a cool "action pose" that's not as easy to get out in the open world, and leaves one hand open so you can see details.)

Big O! It's showtime!
oEysRLt.jpg

Big O with hammer

A standard "Gundam" style. (No particular one - don't ask)

Voltron - Savior of the Universe!

Autobots! Transform and roll out!

Optimus Prime
CPaaum2.jpg

OP with blade

Bumblebee

Bee with a stinger (blade)

(BTW I made BB with a face more like his "Prime" version than G1 or movie, because it was easier that way)

And lastly - this one was tough to get even close to right. But I'm reasonably pleased with the results - who knew that Roinesh helmet was going to work out so well?

Evangelion Unit 01
WywwdS4.jpg

MUCH better than a prog knife!

And that's all I have for now. Anyone want to see anything else? I do have some vague ideas for more Transformers and Decepticons. So I might add a Megatron soon. I could also try modifying the Eva-01 to do the other models maybe?

(Edit: DAMN you Photobucket and your stupid new 10GB limit! I'm slowly transferring everything displayed there to different sites. Not going to pay you 30 bucks a month just to display images. GRRR...)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Stop playing with nostalgia!!!!! it makes me to automatically love everything in this thread hahahaha. You so hit a sensible string with Red Ronin... somehow I had a Toho-dejavu =p.

I loooooooooooooove what you did here, really good stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • d0m1nusdrak3d0m1nusdrak3 Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My goodness, why did u have to make the robots so dang cool. I have never seen anyone make costumes of these characters and actually look 99.9% like them. Great job. :D
    ====================================
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ====================================
    Dominus Drake Primus Database ,Also @Pyromasher ingame
  • mangog2mangog2 Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Red Ronin is very cool, but I absolutely love Big O
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have a little SG that's a team of little kitties in big mecha!

Mechanized Emergency Operatives of the World - M.E.O.W.

=^_^=

Very much in the style of Japanese robot shows.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • steelshogunsteelshogun Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Always been a big Red Ronin fan. In fact, my username (@steelshogun) is actually a toon I designewd as sort of a Red Ronin/Shogun Warriors homage.
    Steel Shogun

Awesome job OP! :cool:
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    LOVE that Optimus.
  • tharkantharkan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    DAMN those are awesome.

Robot Ronin looks like a classic giant robot, Big O is near spot on, and EVA 01 looks as creepy as I remember him/her/it.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very nice indeed. I have a robot toon called i-Bot, but he isn't manned. I originally called him Robo Santa and used him to fight Clarence when the event first launched. The back story was Toymaker made him to fight Clarence. I had intended to use him for every special event, such as Easter, Halloween etc, but I realized this would be limiting and the name would need to be changed. Thus he became self aware and was renamed i-Bot, part in tribute to I Robot and also a pun on Apple.

He has many looks, including his original Xmas ones. He too has a few inpsired by Manga:

Giant Robot

'Apple' Bot

Don Quixote :tongue:

Robo Santa

He has a few other looks, which i will add once I have screen shots. They include a Gort tribute, a cutesy Manga robot and a 'I Robot' homage.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2012
    Optimus and Bumblebee are great. Big O is nice in a very classic way. Couldn't care less about rest of these, as it's inspired by japanese cartoons so obviously it's not my cup of coffe - but great work at rebuilding even these with CO character creator.
    Too bad we can't have Megatron's homage as we don't have a proper forearm mounted cannon. The rest of the classic Meg should be really easy to build, but the fusion cannon... ;/
    edited July 2012
    Optimus and Bumblebee are great. Big O is nice in a very classic way. Couldn't care less about rest of these, as it's inspired by japanese cartoons so obviously it's not my cup of coffe - but great work at rebuilding even these with CO character creator.
    Too bad we can't have Megatron's homage as we don't have a proper forearm mounted cannon. The rest of the classic Meg should be really easy to build, but the fusion cannon... ;/

You do know that Hasbro bought the concept of the transformers from a Japanese toy company, Takara aka Tomy ? :tongue:
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    You do know that Hasbro bought the concept of the transformers from a Japanese toy company, Takara aka Tomy ? :tongue:
    Nope. CONCEPT wasn't japanese.
    Hasbro bought only toys from rather obscure franchises, but all storylines and character bios were written in US.
    Even more, initial toylines were barely similar to the comic and cartoon characters - toy accuracy was almost nonexistent. Character designs were made by Marvel (production of G1 comic started even before cartoon, but was finished later) and were only slightly similar to the original toys. The Seekers, Optimus, Soundwave and Megatron were really lucky - they could be easily recognised on toys.
    This improved later, when new toys were made by eastern manufacturers but accordingly to the US made character designs.

Example: original japanese toy:
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Ratchettoyg1.jpg
    And classic G1 ratchet by Marvel Comics:
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/0/09/Ratchetwarriorschool.jpg

Autobots, Decepticons, Cybertron, Unicron, Primus - whole TF universe lore was made in US. Only moulds for toys were invented in Japan.
    In fact, every time when Japanese tried to make their own incarnation of TF franchise, results were (to put it mildly) less than stellar. Not to mention one attempt that ended on borderline of pedophilia, enraging many of die-hard TF fans.
    So there is very little japanese in the TF franchise. Thankfully.

So, nope.
    TF concept wasn't bought from Takahara - what was sold to the Hasbro was only a generic toyline of transforming non-sentient (manned) robots.
    edited July 2012
    Nope. CONCEPT wasn't japanese.
    Hasbro bought only toys from rather obscure franchises, but all storylines and character bios were written in US.
    Even more, initial toylines were barely similar to the comic and cartoon characters - toy accuracy was almost nonexistent. Character designs were made by Marvel (production of G1 comic started even before cartoon, but was finished later) and were only slightly similar to the original toys. Only The Seekers, Optimus, Soundwave and Megatron were lucky - they could be recognised on toys.
    This improved later, when new toys were made by eastern manufacturers but accordingly to the US made character designs.
    So there is very little japanese in the TF franchise. Thankfully.

Example: original japanese toy:
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Ratchettoyg1.jpg
    And classic G1 ratchet by Marvel Comics:
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/0/09/Ratchetwarriorschool.jpg

Autobots, Decepticons, Cybertron, Unicron, Primus - whole TF universe lore was made in US. Only original toys were invented in Japan.
    In fact, every time when Japanese tried to make their own incarnation of TF franchise, results were (to put it mildly) less than stellar. Not to mention one attempt that ended on borderline of pedophilia, enraging many od die-hard TF fans.

So, nope.
    TF concept wasn't bought from Takahara - what was sold to the Hasbro was only a generic toyline of transforming non-sentient (manned) robots.

If you really can't see the similarities between Transformers and any EARLIER Japanase Robotic toys and manga then you are really blinkered. This whole thread is about looks, not bios. All Hasbro did was buy the concept and designs, then make new bios and universe for them. The original looks were very similar, but of course they changed, as all toy lines and comics do. None the less, the origin is Japanese and I fail to understand your apparent distaste of all Japanese manga. Whilst some of it is distasteful, a lot of it isn't and has inpsireed much in the West. To deny this is frankly borderline xenophobic.
    edited July 2012
    There is no similarities between TF and japanese mecha except:
    - graphical design (in this regard you are correct), though much of it was lost after initial run of G1 comics,
    - and that both are big transforming robots (which is pretty generic concept of japan origin).
    Just because first (and after that - reworked many, many times) designs were made in Japan that doesn't make TF japanese in origin.
    Many of US cartoons were animated by japanese companies (original US cartoons, not repackaged anime episodes) and that doesn't make it anime.
    It's perfectly understandable that I can be an avid Transformers fan even if I can't stand 99% of manga and anime. When it comes to the big robots, I simply don't care about series others than TF.
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very nice indeed. I have a robot toon called i-Bot, but he isn't manned. I originally called him Robo Santa and used him to fight Clarence when the event first launched. The back story was Toymaker made him to fight Clarence. I had intended to use him for every special event, such as Easter, Halloween etc, but I realized this would be limiting and the name would need to be changed. Thus he became self aware and was renamed i-Bot, part in tribute to I Robot and also a pun on Apple.

He has many looks, including his original Xmas ones. He too has a few inpsired by Manga:

Giant Robot

'Apple' Bot

Robo Santa

He has a few other looks, which i will add once I have screen shots. They include a Gort tribute, a cutesy Manga robot and a 'I Robot' homage.

I remember your stuff from before the purge! I was impressed by the "Mazinger" look of your Giant Robot very much and still am! Good use of the Golden Age Mask to add just that right touch of Super Robot... * (And WHERE do you get that chest piece from? The one with the ENORMOUS looking beam port on it?) Same with the "Apple I-Bot" one.

Did NOT see the Don Quixote or Robo Santa though. I am in AWE of Quixote! That's just outstanding! (I hope you have at least one single blade or Dual Blade power so you can fence with him!)

The Robo Santa is made-of-win as well! I LOVE the steampunk back part to stand in for the sack of toys! LOL!

But am I weird that I immediately thought of "Evil Robo Santa" from Futurama? :D

*EDIT: And you JUST GAVE ME A GREAT IDEA!!!! (Scampers off to log in and start building a new costume!)
    edited July 2012
    And guys? Could we not get into an argument about what/who came first? Isn't it all academic anyway? Can we just agree that they're cool regardless of origins? God kills a catgirl every time you argue about this anyway - think of the catgirls! :rolleyes:

( Keep going with it and I'll whip out the "Who would win, Enterprise or Star Destroyer?" silliness. Don't make me pull this thread over to beat a dead horse, kiddies! :biggrin:)

(This post humor tagged with every smiley face I can lay my hands on to let you know I'M KIDDING!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: )

(Mostly... *Pats baseball bat in open hand... Still smiling...* )
  • zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, pretty cool design of the robots.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
    edited July 2012
    I remember your stuff from before the purge! I was impressed by the "Mazinger" look of your Giant Robot very much and still am! Good use of the Golden Age Mask to add just that right touch of Super Robot... * (And WHERE do you get that chest piece from? The one with the ENORMOUS looking beam port on it?) Same with the "Apple I-Bot" one.

Did NOT see the Don Quixote or Robo Santa though. I am in AWE of Quixote! That's just outstanding! (I hope you have at least one single blade or Dual Blade power so you can fence with him!)

The Robo Santa is made-of-win as well! I LOVE the steampunk back part to stand in for the sack of toys! LOL!

But am I weird that I immediately thought of "Evil Robo Santa" from Futurama? :D

*EDIT: And you JUST GAVE ME A GREAT IDEA!!!! (Scampers off to log in and start building a new costume!)

Thanks again :) The chest-piece was a crafted one, from before alert, as are the bracers and thigh guards. Not sure if they can be still obtained now. Here is a link.

Don Quixote was created for a forum costume contest, which were regular features run by Adogg, but sadly he quit. I won, so I kept him and re-used it despite not using a sword weapon. I really should get one to complete the manga look, but I-Bot is a ranged toon, not melee, as I have another bot called Sergeant Steel who is a might and munitions PA toon already.

The steampunk back pack was originally a mini factory from which he produced 'toys', as in munition bots, drones and attack toys. Since his rebirth he is now purely a PA DPS build. You are not the first to mention the Futurama link, in fact his other version is even more like it, but I haven't got a screen shot yet.
    edited July 2012
    Okay - the idea that c3rvand0 gave me?

Well it worked, but not the way I had first thought it would. But that's just fine.

See - that Golden Age mask element? Turns out the vague memory that the mask sparked was that of Dragun, from Shogun Warriors. But that's not the real name of the robot and I knew I had seen something - a revival of the original series in the late 90s/early 2000s maybe? I couldn't remember! Argh!

So I had to search a bit to find it - turns out it's Getter Robo. And the newer version is Shin Getter Robo. Aha!
    Shin_getter_robo.jpg

Okay - the Golden Age mask c3rvand0 used isn't exactly the right thing. And I didn't use it. But I'm satisfied with the results.

Here's my take on Shin Getter Robo.
    Getter_Ronin.jpg

"And my Axe!"
    Getter_Ronin_Axe.jpg

One really cool thing about the design from the POV of this game is that Shin Getter Robo is one of the few super robots that has a CAPE!!! Naturally, in the anime it's some kind of Batman Begins style "Memory Wing" which snaps open. But that's even MORE over-the-top coolness! :biggrin:

Another cool thing is that this actually is not bad as a true alt-costume for Ronin himself in concept. Wouldn't be hard to tweak for that purpose if I wanted to make it a little more original.

Thanks c3rvand0! ^_^
    edited July 2012
    Simply awesome! I especially love the moon shot of him, makes him look magnificent.
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd comment more elaborately on how awesome these turned out, but I'm too busy picking my jaw up off the floor... :biggrin:
    edited July 2012
    OK, as promised my other versions of I-Bot:

My very loosely inspired by Tetsujun version. and close up

My also loosely inspired by Gort version.

Finally my 'I Robot' homage.

PS Robo Santa won a prize at last nights CC, Xmas in July, held by the Society of Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen. Thanks for hosting and selecting my toon :)
  • aristarchos01aristarchos01 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012

My very loosely inspired by Tetsujun version. and close up

What....
    jetpack....
    is....
    that??????

Its awesome!!!!!
    Quest : The Kidnapped Bride Short Code : NW-DP3KMHTRP Author : @Aristarchos
    edited July 2012
    What....
    jetpack....
    is....
    that??????

Its awesome!!!!!

It was a Xmas event prize. I got it via Steam for giving away 10 presents, but I believe it was also a rare drop and also available in the grab bags, if you were daft enough to buy them. Here is a link to the wiki.
  • aristarchos01aristarchos01 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Arg! Yet thanks. My play time was limited during the Christmas events and only snagged the sword and..... some other weapon.
    Thanks again
    Quest : The Kidnapped Bride Short Code : NW-DP3KMHTRP Author : @Aristarchos
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited July 2012

How did you get the Feet (boots) to look like that. I think I recognize the feet yet the only options are steampunk/art deco/normal and none of them allow you to have the pattern that you are using:confused:
    edited July 2012
    nightr0d wrote: »
    How did you get the Feet (boots) to look like that. I think I recognize the feet yet the only options are steampunk/art deco/normal and none of them allow you to have the pattern that you are using:confused:

It's as follows:

Costume Piece: Armor Tech Plated Smooth

Material: Metal

Pattern: Flame

Detail: Armored

It lets the legs be both skinny and armored and have that "spat" look to the armor. My only quibble is that it doesn't have a rising bit of armor at the Knee Joint like the Evas do. Oh well. Nothing is perfect.
  • cyberruckcyberruck Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    great job!
  • deadbison2deadbison2 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Those are really cool! I love em all! I am gonna go home and rebuild my toons into Robots now! I like the Voltron, as well as well all of them.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • dbn006dbn006 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Giant Robot

'Apple' Bot

Robo Santa

I really love the Giant Robot look but...I don't have the Blaster Large chest piece. Any was to still get it?
  • herodad1herodad1 Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    love these pics. how do you guys/gals post them? i've got ideas i'd like to share.:smile:
  • cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    herodad1 wrote: »
    love these pics. how do you guys/gals post them? i've got ideas i'd like to share.:smile:

Just go to photobucket and create an account. That should let you upload any pictures, and link them in here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.