test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you think?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Costumes and Concepts
Post removed by OP due to a certain poster's unwillingness to leave it be. Life's too short man:cool:
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Pretty cool one.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Looks more like an homage to The Scarlet Pimpernel, the world's first super hero.

Well done.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Post removed by OP due to a certain poster's unwillingness to leave it be. Life's too short man:cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Why, because he's wearing red? The Scarlet Pimpernel may have been the precursor to masked super heroes such as Zorro or Batman, but "V" was based on a real person, Guy Fawkes, who took part in the failed gunpowder plot more than 100 years before the fictional Pimpernel. It's also interesting to note how politically opposed they were.

Below are a couple of thumbs, first one is V, second one is Guy Fawkes. If you can post any images of the Scarlet Pimpernel to show me what you mean then please go ahead.

P.S. thanks for the encouragement Finn and Kitty

No, his costume looks more like something the Scarlet Pimpernel would wear with a bit of three muskateers thrown in for extra flair. I honestly don't see anything very V in it (I blame the fact that you used a Masquerede mask).
  • Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well, as I said, would you care to show me a pic of the Pimpernel in his threads that I seem to be copying? Please show me the error of my ways.
    Can I just ask? Are you the same MadDemon that was heavily, and with no real reason, having a go at another poster in this forum over her Power Armour toon today and yesterday?
    There seems to be some ulterior objective going on here. You criticise me and the other poster's toons without any real arguments or back up, are called on it but can give no real reason behind your very UN-constructive criticism. Perhaps we should all press the random button like you seem to have done in your avatar.
    Unless you have something constructive to add, may I suggest you find some victims in another mmo.

P.S. You do realise what homage means don't you? Google it and come back to me.

Here are two images that the Scarlet Pimpernel wore
    http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/web/bjsimmons/premieres/images/713/713_1.jpg

http://john-flynn.com/costumes/sp3.jpg

That is why I think your hero looks more like the Scarlet Pimpernel than V.

For the record, yes I am that same MadDemon64, but I had my reasons to criticize said toon. Why you can't understand said reasons is beyond me, but they are valid reasons, despite your preconceived notions on what constitutes good and bad criticisms.

As for ulteriour motives, mine was to COMPLIMENT you on your design, but say that instead of seeing V, I see the Scarlet Pimpernel. If you had bothered to read past the first sentence, you would have cought that. I have not criticized you in any way, which makes me question why you think my criticisms of said "power armor" toon are baseless or without proof, as you can't even tell the difference between a two sentence complment and a several paragraph criticism.

Also, just because an avatar looks random, doesn't mean that they are. I actually put a lot of thought into the design, and change her every so often to show that she is progressing through super-herodom. She first started out in street clothes, which consisted of a biker jacket and cargo pants. She then moved onto less bulky cothes for a change of pace (plus she felt they were slowing her down), and then she finally made her first super hero costume. She has since added to it trophies from defeated enemies, specifically Qliphothic bracers/shoulderpads and the Jewel of Edom (plus a spiked belt for street clothes which she usually wears. Putting on the costume is a sign of her getting serious).

As you have asked, I have constructive criticism: look over a person's post carefully before responding so you don't miss the meaning of it and look like an a**.

P.S. I used the same definition of homage as you did.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I like your design a lot. I see more Guy Fawkes influence than the Scarlet Pimpernel to me honestly. Its more roguish than aristocracy. Has more of a classic D&D swashbuckler swinging from he chandelier influence to me, more than anything else.
    All in all excellent costume.
    However, please tell me he has the Swinging travel power because that would complete the look.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    However, please tell me he has the Swinging travel power because that would complete the look.

I had completely forgotten to ask about what travel power he has, but yes, that does seem to suit him (hopefully though when we get vehicles, they will add horses, because this hero + horse = awesome).
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I like your design a lot. I see more Guy Fawkes influence than the Scarlet Pimpernel to me honestly. Its more roguish than aristocracy. Has more of a classic D&D swashbuckler swinging from he chandelier influence to me, more than anything else.
    All in all excellent costume.

Thanks Aristarchos, and yes he has swinging. I couldn't have given him anything else :D

Post edited by OP due to a certain poster's unwillingness to leave it be. Life's too short man:cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Kinda different but nice. I tought you made it for your new Forum avatar... I'm wondering how it looks in action; it looks promissing already style-wise.

Mmmm just picked up noises about Forum closing down and region bans? Kinda scary :S

Is Canada in the middle of it? And... What is that??? If I do a wide search on the internet it redirect me to Region Banks and not Bans.

Anyway... Hoping for the best. It is rare not to like your costumes Millenium Guardian. So in case that ban, those new account protection, that Cryptic merging into PWE, keep many players apart and we get unlucky.
    So you'd see me comment before forum goes "Pouf"! ^^

I wish you the best, not just online, and to share with most.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    BTW MadDemon, your images of the Scarlet Pimpernel look nothing like my toon. Just leave it out man.

Not to you, but to me they do. He is what I see in your character, not V. If you don't like it, then too bad, as I am permitted to voice my opinions.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Kinda different but nice. I tought you made it for your new Forum avatar... I'm wondering how it looks in action; it looks promissing already style-wise.

Mmmm just picked up noises about Forum closing down and region bans? Kinda scary :S

Is Canada in the middle of it? And... What is that??? If I do a wide search on the internet it redirect me to Region Banks and not Bans.

Anyway... Hoping for the best. It is rare not to like your costumes Millenium Guardian. So in case that ban, those new account protection, that Cryptic merging into PWE, keep many players apart and we get unlucky.
    So you'd see me comment before forum goes "Pouf"! ^^

I wish you the best, not just online, and to share with most.

You will be okay PAL, there is no ban in Canada and there is no ban here in Scotland either. So we'll still see each other around. It's a damn shame for those in the banned areas, particularly those that have paid out money for this game.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    You are permitted to voice any half-cocked, unsubstantiated opinion you like. Fill your boots mate.

Are you this hostile to everyone who compliments you? Just curious.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    MadDemon64 wrote:
    Are you this hostile to everyone who compliments you? Just curious.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Are you always so hostile to those you "compliment"?

You would be the first. Of course you are also the first person I ever met who read a compliment and viewed it as a criticism and verbally attacked me for it.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Looks spectacular! Nice design.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    MadDemon64 wrote:
    You would be the first. Of course you are also the first person I ever met who read a compliment and viewed it as a criticism and verbally attacked me for it.

This is, however, becoming a pattern for yourself. This is twice now. Perhaps, some self reflection on how this continues to keep happening is in order.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    sockmunkey wrote:
    This is, however, becoming a pattern for yourself. This is twice now. Perhaps, some self reflection on how this continues to keep happening is in order.

Thank you for noticing this sockmunkey.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Bah, no worries. I was getting irritated with it as well.

I like your design. The way you put the fancy mustache over the toy face to get the Guy Fawkes mask look is brilliant. Awesome job :D
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    sockmunkey wrote:

Sorry, but there is no pattern, and this is the ONLY time that this has happened. The "other" time that you think it happened was not a compliment that was mistaken for criticism, it was straight up criticism. I am terribly sorry, but both you and milleniumguardian are seeing patterns where none exist.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    sockmunkey wrote:
    Bah, no worries. I was getting irritated with it as well.

I like your design. The way you put the fancy mustache over the toy face to get the Guy Fawkes mask look is brilliant. Awesome job :D

Thank you very much. I like your celtic warrior Andraste. I'm from "north of the wall" myself:D
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    MadDemon64 wrote:
    Sorry, but there is no pattern, and this is the ONLY time that this has happened. The "other" time that you think it happened was not a compliment that was mistaken for criticism, it was straight up criticism. I am terribly sorry, but both you and milleniumguardian are seeing patterns where none exist.

Sooo, that's a no on self reflection. Pity.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    sockmunkey wrote:
    Sooo, that's a no on self reflection. Pity.

Sorry, but milleniumwarrior here needs self reflection, not me. After all, I was the one who complimented him, and HE was the one who snapped at me, thinking I criticised him (plus, if he couldn't stand criticism, he shouldn't have asked for people's opinions).
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Girls, girls. you're all pretty.

Demon, your "Well done" in your initial post did read rather sarcastically and is the source of the misunderstanding

Guardian, like he said, it IS a misunderstanding and he wasn't trying to suggest it was bad.

Can we play nice? For me? *puppy dog eyes*

Edited for... well. Past tense.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sprawler wrote:
    Girls, girls. you're all pretty.

Demon, your "Well done" in your initial post does read rather sarcastically and is the source of the misunderstanding

Guardian, like he said, it IS a misunderstanding and he wasn't trying to suggest it was bad.

Can we play nice? For me? *puppy dog eyes*

Fine fine, I'll do it for you on one condition.

Galtoid the Infallible makes cookies for us.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Only if they have mind control serum in them.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sprawler wrote:
    Only if they have mind control serum in them.

Make it mind control serum that only affects Grondlings and we have a deal.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I just want to say first, Millennium, that I think you have some fantastic characters. Swashbuckler is great, in both costume and background.

That being said, I think you got way too defensive off the bat. MadDemon's comment, although it may have come off sarcastically, seemed like a compliment to me. Maybe because of his/her comments in another thread.

Unfortunately, I see too many people get defensive about their costumes. I get it, but it's not needed. I've grown so tired of people complaining at a costume contest because they didn't get picked. That their costume was CLEARLY the best.

We make these characters, their costumes, based on our own tastes. Not everybody else is going to like them. When we go to costume contests or post them here on the forums, we put ourselves "on the line" to be judged by other peoples subjective opinions. I don't think others should go around and say "oh your costume is ugly" and such. That is just rude, but on the other hand, it's the internet so take negativity with a grain of salt. But truly constructive criticism never hurt anybody.

As far as Swashbuckler's new costume, I think it was well done in what you were going for. I think his costume you had used in your old avatar is the best though. That's my personal taste.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Benevon wrote:
    I just want to say first, Millennium, that I think you have some fantastic characters. Swashbuckler is great, in both costume and background.

That being said, I think you got way too defensive off the bat. MadDemon's comment, although it may have come off sarcastically, seemed like a compliment to me. Maybe because of his/her comments in another thread.

Unfortunately, I see too many people get defensive about their costumes. I get it, but it's not needed. I've grown so tired of people complaining at a costume contest because they didn't get picked. That their costume was CLEARLY the best.

We make these characters, their costumes, based on our own tastes. Not everybody else is going to like them. When we go to costume contests or post them here on the forums, we put ourselves "on the line" to be judged by other peoples subjective opinions. I don't think others should go around and say "oh your costume is ugly" and such. That is just rude, but on the other hand, it's the internet so take negativity with a grain of salt. But truly constructive criticism never hurt anybody.

As far as Swashbuckler's new costume, I think it was well done in what you were going for. I think his costume you had used in your old avatar is the best though. That's my personal taste.

Hi Benevon, first off, I'd like to say that I respect you and often read your posts. I don't expect everyone to love my costume designs. I just wanted to share the look I discovered and always welcome CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I just felt that the comments from a particular poster were not at all constructive and that there seemed to be some agenda there that I was not privy to, particularly after seeing exactly the same behaviour from said person on another similar thread. The sarcasm you noticed was also felt by myself and a couple of other posters.

This is the only the second mmo I have played (first was CoH and that wasn't for long). And as such, this is the first time I have really frequented any forum on the internet. It has been a steep learning curve. I am constantly shocked and annoyed at some peoples behaviour when hidden behind the anonymity of the internet. I will, in the future, carry whole sacks of salt with me.

I tried to put a stop to all this yesterday by editing/removing most of my posts when I considered that it had all gone too far.

I appreciate your post and also that of Sprawler. See you in game guys.