test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is CO still worth playing?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Im not sure if im gonna have fun when it first came out, how much has it changed

would it just be the same grind thing kill this bring me these ect

this will be my 3rd time coming back if i choose to
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jedite1000 wrote:
    Im not sure if im gonna have fun when it first came out, how much has it changed

would it just be the same grind thing kill this bring me these ect

this will be my 3rd time coming back if i choose to

Well, "worth coming back" is subjective. All MMOs include a certain amount of grind and repetition. The *way* that grind and repetition is presented is the key to whether you find it fun or tedious. It's no secret that CO is light on content - has been since launch.

Personally, I'm still having fun here - but for me it's more about seeing a concept develop into a full fledged hero in their own right. Sure, some new storyline or zone would be great, but to play CO and stick around for any length of time is to accept those shortcomings.
    edited July 2012
    I can say that I still have a lot of fun playing this game. Then again, I have a near-terminal case of altoholism...
    edited July 2012
    The game has changed considerably. You might want to look at this link, which provides blurbs on some of the recent changes.

Some folks seem to be leveling solely in Alerts. However, the "regular" content is the same stuff you remember. There have been some changes to improve and streamline missions at lower levels (for instance, Westside is now a level 5-15 zone rather than 14-18), but most of that is still the standard kill x of y, collect w of z stuff found in most MMO's.

CO seems to be a game enjoyed by those who like the super hero genre, character looks and power customization, and the fast-paced combat, and are also willing to overlook the bland quests. If most of that describes you, you might enjoy a return. And maybe Alerts will float your boat.
    edited July 2012
    Is it worth going gold or stay silver, or is silver a waste of time
    edited July 2012
    Silver is fine. The basic archetypes are cool. Not perfectly tricked out as a freeform, but cool. Some of the premium purchasable archetypes are cool too, some are more lackluster. The restrictions on Currency, AH slots and Bank slots are meaningless so far (1year).

Still I spent more than a few Euros on the C-store: many costume sets, 4 additional character slots, two premium archetypes, hideout, hideout bank slots.

As a Silver player I wanted a taste of Gold and purchased a few freeform slot grab bags (i.e. lottery ticket) to get a freeform slot. I got one, enjoyed it a lot, and then got greedy and went back to the lottery store (no luck on the second slot :S). Then cursed myself when the freeform slot was offered on the store, struggled a bit and then bought one.

All I can say is that Silver with the new freeform slots available is cool and I feel no urge to go gold, as long as you buy a few things from the store.... check out how much you plan to spend on the store and balance it against the subscription!!
    edited July 2012
    Worth playing? Yes.
    Worth subscribing? Nope, unless you are REALLY into freeform or alting - in any other case paying monthly fee for a game with no production quality, customer service, bug fixing and meaningful development is simply wrong.
    edited July 2012
    Playing yes

Paying no.
    edited July 2012
    I was going to put my last post in one of the goodbye forums threads but this caught my eye.

Yes. It's worth paying for.

Weird but nice community.

If you have been playing casually/alting there is likely much you haven't seen content wise that while posseing some flaws is still pretty cool.

Returning players that are tired of missions already played a million times over to level a character? Bam alerts are here.

I would recommend subbing a couple months, and testing out as much as possible. That's the real strength here, expirementation, obversation, summation, and creation while making an alter ego.

Sorry for the derail.

And the forums were fun.
    edited July 2012
    any ideas on a champion creation, im kind of out of ideas
    edited July 2012
    jedite1000 wrote:

How about Captain Sprinkles the muffin man \o/
    edited July 2012
    i still think its worth playing but the best way to get ideas for charecters is to just try to think of a poem
    edited July 2012
    I wouldn't play without a subscription, since ATs are simply to much gimped for me.
    edited July 2012
    jedite1000 wrote:

Wrong forum. Try here: http://forums.champions-online.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173

Personally, I won't stop playing and I don't think CO is lost yet.
    For a good restart, it would take someone with the skills to do it going after the bugs. With them out of the way, the game would become a lot more enjoyable.

In other words: We need a hero. :o

The next step to get CO back up would be content that isn't just alerts and costume sets.
    edited July 2012
    has the nemesis system changed? or are they do not care about it anymore, it seems they just keep bringing out costume pieces and travel powers

oh and have they fixed the character creator bug, where sometimes the costume becomes black or invisible
    edited July 2012
    jedite1000 wrote:
    has the nemesis system changed? or are they do not care about it anymore, it seems they just keep bringing out costume pieces and travel powers

No changes to nemesis system.
    oh and have they fixed the character creator bug, where sometimes the costume becomes black or invisible

I haven't seen or heard of anyone reporting this for a while now.
    edited July 2012
    Only you can decide if the game is worth playing for you.

My suggestion: Create a Silver account and take a look. Its free and should provide enough insight to decide whether or not you can justify spending money on the game right now.

The only thing you lose by checking it out is a little time, and if you are an MMO player you can probably spare a few hours.