test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Archetype: The Invincible

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sorry for cross-posting; I honestly don't know which thread to best post on.

Invincible Suggestion: Tactical Missiles - Add the ability to apply the Lock On (Targeting Computer) debuff to target when fully doing a charged attack.

Aesthetically: I noticed the 3 second timing of the Lock On animation actually matches very closely with the charging time of Tactical Missles and including that Lock On FX animation during the charge sequence would greatly reinforce the core Powered Armor "Tech" themes within the AT.

Mechanically: it would expand it's use by allowing the player to alternate between Tap/Charge to either increase his damage output or reapply the Lock On debuff. Especially in conjunction with Mini-Gun active using the multi-power mechanic.

Lock On would also give Invincible a way to actively mitigate damage via the Tracking damage resistance buff, till it acquires the Invulnerabilty passive.

---

Background behind Suggestion: Note - Not necessary to read, more just thoughts overall and a general feedback report of the testing I did that resulted in the above suggestion.

I decided to tested all the ranged Tank AT's (Glacier/Mountain/Invincible) for survivability prior to recieving their support passive to compare initial impressions.

What I found off was that The Mountain & Glacier's survivability was better primarily due to the debuffs, knocks & holds attributed to their powers. While Invincible actually had a much lower survivability in comparison. Mainly due to the focus on DPS of the Power Framework.

That made me realize the inherent playstyle options between these 3 builds.

Glacier: Tank w/ Support characteristics (Holds/Snares)
    Mountain: Tank (more pure Tank style & knocks)
    Invincible: Tank w/ Damage role characteristics (Higher relative DPS)

As Invincible's core deviation from the basic Ranged Tank AT leans more towards damage output; it unfortunately doesn't produce enough DPS to survive well during its initial impressions without its passive. This may be the cause of some disatisfaction that I've from silver players on the forms have expressed on the boards after purchasing the AT. I believe one individual stated that his son really wanted to like it, though struggled with it and it felt slow.

My basic impression was that the charge time felt too long on the Starter Power (Tactical Missles) vs. the Threat I was generating due to inherent Tank role attributes forced on me. Though looking at it in comparison it's overall cast time when fully charged is essentially identical to the other ranged tank sets.

Then the "superhero movie hype" brain-patterns started firing off on my head and realized that Shoulder Launcher (the power) is "fun" to use mainly due to that extremely excessive setup animation it has while waiting for that darn thing to fire! It met my expectations of what a "Shoulder Rocket Launcher" would feel like using.

So in the original movie of said inspiration, the protagonist used the the tactical missles power on a tank that knocked him out of the sky. When using it I thought, hey. That missle is actually going through its targeting functions inside his shell-head HUD while its getting ready to fire.

Soon afterwards, I tried a freeform character completely blank of any stats and only selected the EB, Tacticle Missles and Targeting Computer as a passive. Went inside the training room and tried out just the missles while charging.

That's when it looked "right" in my minds-eye and felt really awesome. Lock On's combat output also actually provided that small boost I was looking for that was missing by playing the AT setup as it is currently stands.

And there ya have it. So if you read this far, thank you and I really hope you guys consider this and try it for yourselves.
    edited June 2012
    w8, you wrote this twice. -_-'
    thanks
    edited June 2012
    Just wanted to update the test I was doing post-slotted passive (8+).

Invincible felt that it got a noticeable boost in performance (on par, and sometimes even better than Glacier & Mountain) after receiving Invulnerability & its Secondary Characteristic - Constitution (level 10) while previously, it was noticeably under-performing.

While it seems that Glacier and Mountain have played pretty consistently regardless of whether or not it had the Slotted Passive.

That kind of sum up for me currently that Invincible in its current state relies too much on it's Slotted Passive to be considered a Tanking AT. Which means most people who start playing the AT after purchase might not get sold on it cause it doesn't initially meet the expectations they may have of what a Ranged Tanking AT would "feel" like in this game.

I'm still kinda sold in my previous suggestion of adding a Lock On buff attribute to Tactical Missiles in that it would improve that "initial impressions" performance, though I only have a Freeform mockup to base it on (sacrificing Mini-Gun for Targeting Computer at level 6). So I couldn't tell you how it compares in that small window between (6-8) in that situation.

Gonna keep playing those to see how receiving the Form affects the feel in comparison between the ranged tanks. Though I really don't expect anything dramatic than anyone else hasn't already commented on in a general sense so this is just for entertainment purposes at this point.