test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dark mystery and adventure await! The Ordo Vero Niveus is recruiting.

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
The Ordo Vero Niveuss is an RP-heavy Lovecraft-themed SG. We're looking for mature Role Players with a love of horror, forbidden knowledge, and clunky, adjective-laden prose to join us in our fight against horrible monsters and insane cults. Read below to see if we're a good fit for you!

* We're Mature, not Erotic: If you like ERP, that's great! It's just not what we do. When we say 'mature' what we mean is capable of nuanced thought and reasoning and possessing a complex view of morality and the like. We'll occasionally explore mature themes and a mature outlook helps in enjoying them.

* We're focused on horror, not being horrible: Horror is great! A vulnerable character struggling against a powerful foe can create a lot of drama. The OVN are almost always the underdogs in our conflicts. Any character who has, in all seriousness, uttered the phrases "I have slain gods!" or "I was old before your kind walked the earth" is probably a poor fit. Also: Hilarious!

* Fun RP is the Best RP: Despite our focus on horror and serious business, a sense of humor and a desire to have fun are important. We're all playing the game to enjoy ourselves, after all.

So, folks, that's the pitch! We'll explore grey moralities, the effects of power on the human psyche, and all sorts of other interesting things. All that we ask is that you're willing to explore it with us with a proper sense of adventure and willingness to have fun!

Just send a message to @ambigue if you're interested!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    *Teh boomp*

Current story arcs:

A young girl has been decoupled from the passage of time for a hundred years, her body frozen and unable to react with the rest of the world. Can she be recovered from her strange state? We travel to hill country of West Virginia to search for answers.

What starts with an investigation into secretive and villainous corporation turns strange when the shadowy cabal running it start to disappear one by one. Should an evil be saved from the greater evil consuming it?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ambigue wrote:
    *Teh boomp*

Current story arcs:

A young girl has been decoupled from the passage of time for a hundred years, her body frozen and unable to react with the rest of the world. Can she be recovered from her strange state? We travel to hill country of West Virginia to search for answers.

What starts with an investigation into secretive and villainous corporation turns strange when the shadowy cabal running it start to disappear one by one. Should an evil be saved from the greater evil consuming it?

I'd love to join, but I'm not sure I want to investigate... Lovecraft's world is the kind of place where if you're in one of his towns and your car's broken down, you stick to your car, keep your head down, don't look at anything, and don't think too much about the palor or fishy smell of the mechanic. Thank him, go on your way, don't look back, and don't ask questions.

The moment you start walking around town, you'll see something move in the corner of your eye, maybe a shadow. You go to investigate and you'll hear a door close. You turn to look and you see a shadowy silhouette though the frosted over window. Another door close and there's these thumps going down wooden stairs. You look through the window at ground level that peers into the basement and you think you can make out a body being dragged, but the lighting isn't very good. Then, suddenly, you hear this wet, loud crunching sound, and what sounds like some kind of horrific half man, half beast chomping on some poor soul's body.

You, having already investigated something out of sheer curiosity, wonder what exactly is going on in that basement. You want to investigate. You know it's a bad idea, but you want to anyway. The fact that you want to despite knowing it's a VERY bad idea just scares the crap out of you. You should probably have just left well enough alone and stuck to your freaking car, but noooooo. You had to go and poke your nose in where it didn't belong...

However, can non-humans join? I have a bird person character that's actually descended from an ancient pagan deity, and their powers range from merely dark and forbidden to maddening. Actually has the ability to drive enemies insane and make them speak in tongues (works in pve actually, soul mesmerism with glossolalia). So I guess it's slightly thematic, but they'd probably end up being an anti-hero. Tainted by the eldritch, but immune to the maddening effects.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    this sounds cool i'll join likeaboss@dgk0boss
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Exactly what kind of characters can join this group? Are super powered heroes "at home" in this group? Nonetheless, this is a great idea being a fan of the occult/horror/supernatural genre and I would like to join with a character sometime, just as long as I finish grinding Questionite.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I may be interested. I recently made a character who I think would fit the theme.. high-tech, Vatican sanctioned monster hunter type dude (unleashed archetype if it matters). Vaguely styled after Warhammer's witchhunters/inquisitors. Prolly gonna level him a bit before I get him involved in supergroups though, no one likes carrying a level 8 xp
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sorry for the delay in response, folks, it's been busy on my end!

To answer your questions-

Metallurgist: Investigating usually IS a terrible idea in Lovecraft's world, but the OVN is comprised of folks who can handle a little madness and keep a cool head when things get unreal. The important thing, thematically, is that the things they face are still, personally, threatening. It's important for tension. We like to explore character's personal fears and try to push at their buttons. Super-powerful marty stu characters are boring.

That said, we take non-human characters. So far, we've got two robots, a cat lady, two cranky old men, and a pile of fae.

DGK0BOSS: I got your email. If you want to see if we're a good fit, catch me online sometime and send me a tell. I'll run you through some RP stuffs or just answer any questions you may have.

LordOfTheAbyss: I'm not actually terribly picky about what kinds of characters join. All sorts of folks can find a place. That said, there are a few things I ask you to keep in mind when applying: 1) No children. 2) Be Professional. 3) Don't be a jerk. Just like any for-reals job, membership in the OVN is dependent upon applicants not making an already difficult job even harder. While grey morality is a consequence of what they do, it is out of necessity rather than convenience. Bullies, Jerks, murderous psychopaths, and unreliable layabouts aren't needed or welcome. Also: Hiram can't hire children due to labor laws and wouldn't employ them against terrible space greeblies in any event.

Machinegunblues: That actually sounds pretty decent. Send me a tell or add me as a friend and we'll chat in-game. Don't worry much about your level. Most of what we do is group RP anyway, with combat being done freeform PnP style when needed. I keep a couple of low-level alts specifically to help out low-level characters.