test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lore and Such In Game

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I wasn't entirely sure where to stick this, but I figured here would be 'kay' place to try and incite an discussion (or a riot...as the case is sometimes). Seemed like the right place because there are quite o' few peeps who are familiar with the original Champions Setting and have even written a few things for the PnPs

This isn't meant to be a venomous spewing of Hate on Cryptic; I am, speaking for myself, very pleased with some of the coming changes and excited and hopeful for the future, however, I just want to mention a couple o' things

Okay, now then.

So there's this thread that has exploded a wee bit about "100 source books...no end game"

I'm not all that concerned about the "end game" part (it will come with time) and other concerns about the game are dealt with in other places ad infinitum .

I'm sure that this has been brought up ad nauseam...but here goes nothin'

I played PnP in 09 before I was even aware of what CO even was, and only connected the dots that the PnP was based on the MMO when I discovered the MMO after playing the PnP for a few months.

love the setting to pieces and enjoyed reading the books and all the little love-letters to the genre of the Superhero and Costumed Crime Fighters found with in them. Playing CO has been a blast, I enjoy the game, and I've met some pretty awesome folks (lots of them RP'ers) but after participating in my first Bloodmoon and observing a few things, namely Amazing Grace's bio and noticing that Vanguard is still an archer as he was, reportedly, during the first Bloodmoon, I've kind of found my expression to have been brought to :confused:

The intent and motivation of Cryptic's original purchase of the IP/Setting is one that I've suspected was out of the need to produce a new game and not enough time to devise a setting. Some folks have before pointed out some of the changes that seem to be just for the sake of change, complete hiccups in the way of how certain characters have been portrayed and other such things.

I'm not wanting to think that Cryptic is just kind of "Meh, our doll house now, we do what we want with it, never mind all the material we have to work with at our fingertips" but that how it seems to be at times, or perhaps I need to take the tin foil hat off my head and admit that the martians aren't after my secret Rice Krispy recipe.

And if there is an 'issue' is there a solution? Or is my tin foil hat cutting off circulation to the rest of my body?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Well, when the first edition of Champions PnP debuted in the summer of 1981 (yes, the IP really is that old), it was a vastly simpler game, in both mechanics and setting, than it is today. In fact there was no official "Champions Universe" as such. Villains, organizations, NPC support groups and institutions, were added piecemeal over the years by a large number of contributors, many drawn from their own independent campaigns. Sometimes character backgrounds would refer to other published characters, e.g. in origins, nemeses, dependent NPCs, and so on; but for the most part there seems to have been an unspoken assumption that these were all pieces that a given Game Master would assemble as he chose for use in his group's distinctive campaign. In the early 1990s Hero Games as it existed then did try to bring these diverse elements together to create a sort of coherent whole that subsequent publications would refer to; but the patchwork stitching of that setting was fairly apparent.

A major shakeup to the setting occurred in the mid-1990s, with a change in ownership of the IP, and a change in the house game system from HERO to something called Fuzion. (I really hope we can avoid debating the merits of the Fuzion system here -- it's a sore spot for many HERO fans, but not really germain to this topic.) The new owners decided to reboot the Champions Universe for the "New Millennium" with a common setting and ground rules, defined linear history, and characters and institutions designed to interact synergistically with each other. They brought back many characters and groups from that earlier incarnation of the CU, but often recast to a greater or lesser degree to suit their purpose and preferences; as well as weaving in lots of other elements from their own campaigns, and new things created specifically for the reboot. The pros and cons of the Champions: New MIllennium setting are often subject to debate, but its greatest shortcoming IMHO was in not following through with enough material to properly develop the potential of the setting.

When DOJ Inc. bought the Champions IP in 2001, Steve Long, Darren Watts, Jason Walters et al performed their own reboot, the most extensive, detailed, and consistent one to date, again editing past precedents and adding new material as they thought appropriate. The setting continued to be expanded and fleshed out by the many books published by DOJ during the past decade, sometimes bringing back previously unused classic Champions stuff as seemed appropriate. This is the Champions Universe that Cryptic bought.

All this is my roundabout way of saying that new owners of the Champions IP have repeatedly changed what came before, for reasons that seemed good and sound to them at the time; or sometimes because they just plain preferred one direction over another. I for one don't object in principle to Cryptic Studios taking this tack, and in fact think some of the things they've come up with are pretty cool: the Lemurian civil war, the Burning Sands area, the Multifarian. Some things they've changed have left me scratching my head and asking, "Why?" while others I just plain don't like. Still, I'm prepared to believe the Cryptic devs had what they thought were good reasons, whether or not I or any individual agree with them. ;) For the most part, though, Cryptic has remained true to the established history, cast, and institutions of the DOJ-era CU. They've changed very few major parts, and most of the minor changes have been cosmetic.

That's why it's striking to me that the devs seem almost more interested in creating new villains and storylines to add to the setting than in exploiting the material that's already published. If that's true, granted it's a position I can sympathize with. After all, how many of us in the Champions Online community would be content to play someone else's character instead of creating our own? OTOH one of the often-expressed desires of the CO community is to have more new content; and most of the vast number of characters and groups for the published PnP game already have plot elements and story lines provided for them, ready to be developed. I can't help wondering if that would be easier and faster than trying to extrapolate new additions for the setting. And IMO the published stuff is good! It's why so much of it has been around for so long.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    *Adjusts Tin foil hat*

The IP has been around for a while, hasn't it? Mostly what has bothered me is that often expressed desire for "more content, plz" and the fact that there is oodles of stuff that is pretty darn good. I have--or try to-- have faith in Cryptic but Vanguard and Amazing Grace's rather flippant bio just made me sigh.

Playing in the CU setting in the PnP is a blast and has some very well written and interesting characters and plot hooks. I'm hoping that after all the mechanical updates that there can be some good stuff that is from the books; I suppose its just a concern that they just took the IP out of desperation and are scratching their heads, now, a few years later at what to do with it.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    From all the comments I heard when the sale was announced, from both the Cryptic and Hero sides, this was far from a "desperation" move. Granted, the pullout of the Marvel Universe license left Cryptic in the lurch, but from all reports Jack Emmert is a long-time Champions fan with a lot of familiarity with the IP, and DOJ reps were adamant that they wouldn't have sold to someone they believed would mutilate the property. Interactions between PnP and MMO staff were from all accounts respectful and cooperative.

It should be noted that a lot of what Cryptic has created, which has since been incorporated into the latest PnP books, is derived from elements appearing in earlier books, but often in the briefest, most passing references -- Monster Island, the Gadroon and Qularr, the Multifarian, Cyberlord. Perhaps they're looking for areas in the IP that are open enough for them to add their own distinctive stamp.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    A few specific details such as Vanguard being represented as an Archer are, hopefully, easily forgiven. Everyone makes mistakes, and there is so much to do in CO that I can understand why no one has taken the time to correct it. Besides, where would they put his device ?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I agree, Ashen_X. Besides, since Vanguard was supposed to have been the most powerful superhero who ever lived, I'd just as soon not have to fight the undead version of the real thing during the Blood Moon. :eek:
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Alleyne wrote:
    I have--or try to-- have faith in Cryptic but Vanguard and Amazing Grace's rather flippant bio just made me sigh.

Having looked up Amazing Grace's CO biography, I appreciate your reaction, although I'm not sure I share it. I do understand viewing it as unnecessarily dismissive of Grace's own belief that an angel granted her the power to fight evil. Certainly there have been other CU superheroes who claimed God or his messengers had bestowed their powers on them, such as the present-day heroes The Messenger from Texas, and Steadfast of the Millennium City Eight; or Archangel who actually inspired a small "church" of followers, until she was slain by Takofanes.

Given the occult cosmology of the Champions Universe, it's entirely possible that these heroes could have gained their powers through "divine" intervention. Certainly the infernal side has inflicted supervillains on mankind. But perhaps Cryptic felt bringing capital-G-God into the mix would be too controversial, even if the CU God isn't the "real" God.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This seemed like a good place to post this question. After playing the new update yesterday I have to ask. Why is The Drifter now a cyborg?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    violetdea wrote:
    This seemed like a good place to post this question. After playing the new update yesterday I have to ask. Why is The Drifter now a cyborg?

There's another thread raising that very issue. The PnP side offers no lore-based justification for borgifying him -- Drifter's nature and history are all mystical. I can only guess it's to make him Look Cool! That's probably why Cryptic turned him into a cowboy in the first place. In his PnP origin the Drifter was a New York Assistant District Attorney, and his look and style was more filme noire.

I have to say, if style is the sole reason for this change, for the first time I'm worried about the fate of the Champions IP. :(