test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omicron Technology

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
From what the game says, Ripper outfitted with Omicron tech can fight on par with Grond. I was curious as to who invented Omicron tech.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2012
    From what the game says, Ripper outfitted with Omicron tech can fight on par with Grond. I was curious as to who invented Omicron tech.

I'm not sure about the PnP game, but his in-game bio mentions that he was injured and was "rebuilt", at least in part, by Dr. Moreau...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ripper's write-up in VIPER: Coils Of The Serpent describes how he was first "rebuilt" years ago by Dr. Moreau, then over time upgraded with enhanced armor and his Omicron chemical strength boost. However, the experimental Omicron technology is just attributed to "VIPER labs." (p. 151).

(Now I have an image of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew wearing green-and-gold, saying, "Now, Rippie, just take a shot of this and you can say 'Toodlie-binkie-boos' to those nasty superheroes.") :p
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    No one really knows who Ripper was before the accident. No one really cares, either. The only pertinent detail is that he worked for VIPER in the Monster Island Nest.

It was VIPER that got Dr. Moreau to come and treat Ripper. He was horribly disfigured from an accident involving an acid compound spraying all over him. The acid ate through most of his skin and many of his muscles. Dr. Moreau rebuilt him, using armor plating in place of skin and an exoskeleton in place of muscle. He also used a new serum to keep the man alive. Moreau, however, was unable to make the injured VIPER operative look anything close to normal. He was also unable to get rid of the man’s pain.

It has taken years for VIPER to improve on what Moreau tossed together on the spot, but they have done it. Their new Omicron technology stabilizes Ripper’s biochemistry through regular injections, given through his harness. His armor has also become stronger and more impressive.

Ripper isn’t very intelligent. Although he’s been a supervillain for VIPER for years, he doesn’t really understand tactics or strategy very well. His favorite thing to do in battle is grab hold of an opponent and rip them in half – hence his name, Ripper.

Thanks to his built in armor, he’s incredibly strong and can take a lot of damage. Which makes his fighting style of just wading in and pummeling people viable. His Omicron injections make him even stronger, although he can only have a few a day. He’s also likely to let that strength go to his head, and he’ll go berserk. In that condition he will fight friend or foe just as easily.

What LL said with a bit more details.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thank's for the info guys. I was just trying to get most of the inventors of all this technology of the times nailed down. Mmmm I guess I'll just put Omicron tech down under VIPER.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Phillippe Moreau doesn't get enough credit in the Champions Universe for the scope of his abilities IMO. Because of his fixation on creating his new race of "manimals" he's often written off as a second-rate Teleios, but from his background and his PnP write-up he's also highly accomplished in chemistry, cybernetics, electronics, and psychology, in addition to his biological, zoological, and surgical expertise.

I'd also like to learn more about "Radium X," the mysterious element whose unique mutagenic radiation has greatly contributed to the success of Moreau's experiments. It hasn't been mentioned except in connection to Moreau, and even then only passingly.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    can you tell more on radion x?

from the sounds of it i can probably get an idea for a nemesis
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    can you tell more on radion x?

from the sounds of it i can probably get an idea for a nemesis

Wish I could. According to Moreau's history, exposure to Radium X "can cause spontaneous mutations in certain subjects under proper conditions" (Champions Villains Vol. 1, p. 122). Moreau had some when he set up his laboratory at what's now called Gornyj Sver ("Beast Mountain") in the Ukraine, but he eventually ran out. The nearest place he could obtain more was London, but he had to try and steal it.

Sadly, there's nothing more about where Radium X comes from or who has it. (I have my own theories, but they're in no way official.) I agree that it has intriguing possibilities as an origin.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    hmmmm seems i can work around this.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Sadly, there's nothing more about where Radium X comes from or who has it. (I have my own theories, but they're in no way official.) I agree that it has intriguing possibilities as an origin.

I'm in the play test PnP group for (former Hero Games editor and co-owner) Darren Watts' forthcoming "Golden Age" sourcebook. Radium X features prominently in the backstory of one of my fellow players, and had an important role as a plot device in a recent adventure. In the context of the campaign we know more about Radium X than has been published yet (though not a lot more, it's intentionally a 'mystery element'). Darren has spitballed some ideas regarding how the WWII era terrestrial source of Radium X might be developed into the Silver Age (a supplement for which he is also working on). So there is an excellent chance Radium X will have more canon attached to it in either or both of those supplements, but I don't want to crimp Darren's style by talking about specifics of its use in play test, which will likely be somewhat different than its published form.

I think it's fair to mention that the term "Radium X" did not originate with the Champions Universe. It debuted in the largely-forgotten Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi movie "The Invisible Ray" from the 1930s. Whether the substance it refers to is the same as the material that appears in game is debatable, but there are no obvious contradictions between the Radium X that appears in that movie and how it's analogue in the CU has been presented to date.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks a lot for the info, Epiphanis! Hmm... maybe I should throw a few of my own spitballs at Darren, see if he's interested in catching them. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    By a weird coincidence, Radium X has again featured prominently in Darren's playtest. The heroes have somehow been scattered through a series of "alternate worlds" (which may be parallel universes, or perhaps induced dreams/hallucinations, or maybe something else entirely). One of these alternate worlds is one in which some years ago a large shower of Radium X meteorites rained down on parts of England, France, Germany, and Italy. In subsequent years those countries have become global superpowers from Radium X-based technology, while America and all other countries have a kind of "third world country" status.