test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Regarding the revised Roin'esh and lore.

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Hello!

Ever since the Roin'esh have changed from being furry, small-eyed, shapeshifting Klingons to menacing, Venom/Thing-ish monstrosities, how much of their lore has changed as well? Are they still enslaved to the Malvans? Are they still from Taroindar?

I ask this because I have taken to playing a Roin'esh character, and I would like to make sure I have accurate source material to work off of :)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    You and I, both! I would -love- some info on them, if anyone is able!
    edited December 2011
    Hopefully we'll know if there are any changes to the backstory on Friday.
    edited December 2011
    trying to find info but not having luck guess just gota wait till they come up with a new background story
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I thought making the Roin'esh Malvan pets was a very clever way to introduce them to the modern-day setting without upsetting the established history and power balance of the CU Milky Way. It also gives us somewhere to take the Roin'esh as characters that distinguishes them from "Champions Skrulls." You almost feel sympathy for the little monsters. ;)

Has anyone noticed anything in Whiteout to date that would seem to contradict it?
    MGoblin256 wrote:
    Ever since the Roin'esh have changed from being furry, small-eyed, shapeshifting Klingons ...

When you think about it, there's no reason the Roin'esh couldn't make themselves look that way when interacting with other races, to appear more innocuous than they really are.
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I thought making the Roin'esh Malvan pets was a very clever way to introduce them to the modern-day setting without upsetting the established history and power balance of the CU Milky Way. It also gives us somewhere to take the Roin'esh as characters that distinguishes them from "Champions Skrulls." You almost feel sympathy for the little monsters. ;)

Has anyone noticed anything in Whiteout to date that would seem to contradict it?

When you think about it, there's no reason the Roin'esh couldn't make themselves look that way when interacting with other races, to appear more innocuous than they really are.

At the moment, they're just tunnel-visioned to fix their ship. They don't talk. They just crashed and everyone is reacting. Their actions also don't indicate any invasion plans currently.

From their behavior, it seems like they're just trying to extinguish any potential threats before they actually become relevant. I didn't write it though. Just observing behavior. Like I said they don't talk (not yet at least).

One plausible scenario is that they're in "hostile" territory from a Galactic viewpoint. The Gadroon are in/have been in Canada, and we still don't know why they crashed in the first place.

They possibly are just in a rush cause "something" likely shot them down from space. And they don't have time for subtlety.
    edited December 2011
    They possibly are just in a rush cause "something" likely shot them down from space. And they don't have time for subtlety.

That doesn't seem to explain why they broke into Steelhead to steal some unknown artifact. I suppose this will be answered in the final issue.

Also, these new forms seem to be their new natural form; There are several ingame references to their ship and circuitry giving off similar energy signatures and whatnot to the Roin'esh themselves. Additionally, if I'm not mistaken, the old-school Roin'esh could not separate into different entities, like the Commander in Issue 4 could.
    edited December 2011
    MGoblin256 wrote:
    Additionally, if I'm not mistaken, the old-school Roin'esh could not separate into different entities, like the Commander in Issue 4 could.

As written in Champions Beyond, that's true. But PnP Roin'esh also display degrees of shapeshifting. Some can only assume the appearance of various humanoid species, while a few can take on any shape, become any substance, even raw elements like fire or water. The ability to separate could be considered another exceptional species capability.
    edited December 2011
    I've noticed that Steve has started posting again again.

Any chance you could give us a little post-Whiteout lore update on the Roin'esh? Pretty please? :D
    edited December 2011
    I'd assume them breaking into steelhead has something do with their patron...Mechanon.
    edited December 2011
    Lohr wrote:
    I'd assume them breaking into steelhead has something do with their patron...Mechanon.

Why would Mechanon aid a bunch of worthless, imperfect organics, the one thing he hates more than anything?
    edited December 2011
    Lohr wrote:

Mechanon? Really? Mechanon? You mean the guy who's PROGRAMMED to hate ALL organics.

I have -HUGE- doubts that Mechanon would acutally align himself with a race as organic as them.

In-fact I'm pretty sure he's prohibited from it.
    edited December 2011
    MGoblin256 wrote:
    Why would Mechanon aid a bunch of worthless, imperfect organics, the one thing he hates more than anything?

I dunno. Can't answer that question. My gut tells me that the patron is Mechanon. It's the first thing that popped into my head when I heard that voice. Though I am sure its someone else.
    edited December 2011
    As written in Champions Beyond, that's true. But PnP Roin'esh also display degrees of shapeshifting. Some can only assume the appearance of various humanoid species, while a few can take on any shape, become any substance, even raw elements like fire or water. The ability to separate could be considered another exceptional species capability.

Good point. One thing people never think is What if this alien is actually a mutant, magician or scientific accident among their own species? Maybe this mutant fish guy was actually a fish first before a horrible accident? Did someone enchant this robot to make it gain magical abilities?

Lots of exceptions could exist among any race in the game, such as perhaps a Qulaar Mage, Cybernetic Lemurian, or even a Mutant Sasquatch who shoots force blasts from his unmentionables or something.

Lots of variables can just make any story possible, YAY superhero genre games!

Oh, and about mechannon wouldn't be the patron, more likely would be Istvatha V'han, the Empress of a Billion Dimensions since she already controls the Gadroon and would use the Roin'esh to take out the Malvans so they would no longer be a threat to her taking this dimension.
    edited December 2011
    Lohr wrote:
    I dunno. Can't answer that question. My gut tells me that the patron is Mechanon. It's the first thing that popped into my head when I heard that voice. Though I am sure its someone else.

Truthfully? I had the first idea at first. It's actually a pretty damn good mystery they've set up now. Especially since voice-changing is readily avalable to just about any alien race...could be anyone.

...Hell it'd be strangely humorous if it wasn't even a male.
    edited December 2011
    I believe it's a Gadroon Leader (Do we have any named ones in the PnP lore?). Which works quite well with the "Istvatha V'han" theory.
    edited December 2011
    Winza wrote:
    Good point. One thing people never think is What if this alien is actually a mutant, magician or scientific accident among their own species? Maybe this mutant fish guy was actually a fish first before a horrible accident? Did someone enchant this robot to make it gain magical abilities?

Lots of exceptions could exist among any race in the game, such as perhaps a Qulaar Mage, Cybernetic Lemurian, or even a Mutant Sasquatch who shoots force blasts from his unmentionables or something.

Lots of variables can just make any story possible, YAY superhero genre games!

Amen to that. :)

As Champions Beyond notes, many of the official CU alien races can have "super" members with abilities beyond the norm for their species, just as humans do. Our advantage is that we get them more often, at a higher average level of power, and/or over a wider range of abilities, than almost any other species in the Milky Way.
    Winza wrote:
    Oh, and about mechannon wouldn't be the patron, more likely would be Istvatha V'han, the Empress of a Billion Dimensions since she already controls the Gadroon and would use the Roin'esh to take out the Malvans so they would no longer be a threat to her taking this dimension.

That's a very logical guess IMO. Cryptic may be setting up a big crossover storyline featuring V'han as her plans for Earth come to fruition. Here's hoping Book Of The Empress comes out in the not-too-distant future. :D

OTOH if we were to keep to the material set out in Champions Beyond, I'd suspect the Roin'esh are being used by Xarriel (the setting's Darkseid/Thanos homage), who'd also have reason to want to remove the Malvans from his path.
    edited December 2011
    Eldrake2 wrote:
    I believe it's a Gadroon Leader (Do we have any named ones in the PnP lore?). Which works quite well with the "Istvatha V'han" theory.

There are a couple of high-ranking "super"-class Gadroon written up in Champions Beyond who could be directing this project. Pruglor, aka Commander, is rather like a Gadroon Captain America, while Rongeep, known as Sky-Knight, is more analogous to Iron Man.
    edited December 2011
    Although it does not show up in Whiteout, it seems to me that the most logical allies for the Roi'Nesh would be the Elder Worm, operating on the "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" principal. Once the Roi'Nesh become aware that the worms have reappeared on Earth, they should at least explore the possibility of a team-up. The Slug at the head of an army of Elder Worm, Thanes, AND Roi'Nesh leading a charge against the remnants of Malva would totally be an awesome comic book Event Book.
    edited January 2012
    So, it would seem that for the majority of Roin'esh their status from the PnP game is still quo; but at least some have placed themselves in the service of a mysterious patron. Be interesting to see where in the game that surfaces again in future.
    edited January 2012
    Can I ask how the Malvans keep the Roin'esh in line?

Can they suppress their shape-shifting?
    edited January 2012
    Malvan technology is way far beyond anything anybody else in today's galaxy has. They can do pretty much anything they want, and if the Roin'esh or anyone else don't like it, tough. Despite this, the Roin'esh have managed to sneakily trick their masters in a few subtle ways. They have to be very subtle, though, because if the Malvans ever figure out what they are doing, they are completely boned.
    edited January 2012
    I second Epiphanis's comments. Malvan technology is so incredibly advanced, it can accomplish almost anything one can imagine, and counter practically any threat. The only reason some Roin'esh have been able to partly wriggle out of their masters' leash, is because the Malvans have become complacent and caught up in their hedonistic pursuits.

If worse came to worst, the Malvans could simply annihilate the Roin'esh homeworld.
    edited January 2012
    Deleted double-post.
    edited January 2012
    More specifically: the limitations of Malvan technology are pretty much left to the GM's discretion, with the general provision that if you think technology might be able to do something, probably Malvan tech actually can do it. So -- turn off shape shifting? Sure, why not? Create nanobots that would seek out and disintegrate every Roin'esh in the galaxy? Yeah, that too. Flawless Roin'esh detectors? Easy-peasy.

With such nigh-limitless power, how could the Roin'esh ever hope to get away with anything the Malvans didn't want? The trick is that while Malvan tech allows the Malvans to do most anything, they aren't very smart or organized in the way they use it. They basically take for granted that nothing could ever threaten them or thwart their whims, so they don't take even the most obvious precautions. They are an entire species of careless, complacent, entirely overconfident dilettantes, which isn't entirely their own fault (they are the unknowing recipients of a racial curse that has made them this way, magic being the one force they have never mastered). So even though they could easily install shape shifting-suppressors everywhere, or routinely test personnel for shifters, it rarely occurs to them to do so and is even more rare for them to focus long enough to carry through with such precautions. Ennui and hedonism almost inevitably draws their attention away to some more frivolous pursuit before they follow through with their intentions.
    edited January 2012
    This is pretty much what happened to the Malvan empire, which once spanned half the Milky Way. One of their subject peoples rebelled... and nothing happened. Most Malvans didn't notice, and those who did didn't care. Once the first domino fell, most of the rest of the empire followed. However, the Malvans find Roin'esh shape-shifting abilities endlessly entertaining, and aren't yet bored enough with them to let them go. OTOH the "empire" includes one other subject race, the Thrull, who were so culturally devastated by the Malvan conquest that they no longer have the motivation to even try to rebell.

However, as incidents from the lore illustrate, it's still possible to tick-off the Malvans enough that they decide to punish the offender, and they still have the resources to make anyone -- anyone -- who angers them regret it.