test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

StarGuard

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited January 2012 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
This space organization recently came up in a thread i was following but i can find very little info about them. can anyone tell me more about them, what their deal is, what they look like, etc?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    The StarGuard are an interstellar police, diplomacy and peacekeeping force, similar in role to the Green Lantern Corps of DC Comics. One million years ago on the planet Ostrugar. the Ostrugaran hero Gloran the Great founded the order, and built the great computer CONTROL to keep it running efficiently and effectively after he was gone. Clad in military style blue and silver uniforms and wielding a powerful weapon called a StarStaff, the StarGuard bring peace to planets torn by war, order to regions of space beset by anarchy and injustice, and champion emergent species who wish to peacefully join the galactic community..

They have a presence on Earth, which is in a sector designated Sector Zeta-491738: since 1990, former Spanish policeman Andre Almena has been the StarGuard's representative on earth. Based on a hidden Star*Base on Jupiter's moon Europa, Almena and a brave crew of aliens works with Earth's superheroes to help protect it from cosmic foes like the Gadroon, the Qularr, and the Elder Worms, as well as cosmic villains like Astron, Mordace, and Valak the World-Ravager.

Unform (the guy with the staff):
    http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/HER/HERDOJHERO1106E_500.jpeg

Much more info may be found in the Champions Beyond book, which is avalable in PDF form and an excellent read: I'd love for Cryptic to do a Champions Universe cosmic costume pack which included pre-built alien species and StarGuard uniforms, and give us a Star-Staff power set too.
    edited June 2011
    Thanks. I'll have to give this book a try. any idea what the starstaff does exactly?
    edited June 2011
    The Star-Staff can project several types of stellar offensive energy blasts, protective energy barriers around a StarGuard personally or over an area, and telekinetically manipulate massive objects at a distance. It also allows a StarGuard to fly at great velocity, both within a planetary atmosphere and at FTL speeds between stars. It draws its power from exposure to the light from any star.

A Star-Staff can also be used as a hand-to-hand weapon, and all StarGuards are trained in staff-based martial arts. Each staff is attuned to one Guard and can only be used by him/ her/ it, and if it's forcibly taken away the Guard can instantly summon it back to him if it's nearby.

While Earth's StarGuard Andre Almena wields a standard Star-Staff, there are specialized StarGuards whose staffs are optimized for offense, defense, or rapid transit.

BTW Champions Beyond is the definitive source for info on the "space" part of the Champions Universe, detailing a host of interesting locations, alien races, technology and artifacts, cosmic beings, and other super-class threats.
    edited June 2011
    thanks you've been a big help. I think I'm gonna try to make a starguard in game
    edited August 2011
    Soro wrote:
    thanks you've been a big help. I think I'm gonna try to make a starguard in game

The Star*Guard uni was more feasible in CoX. I had a toon named Capt. Atom that had a similar costume.

Capt Atom
    edited August 2011
    Blitz1 wrote:
    The Star*Guard uni was more feasible in CoX. I had a toon named Capt. Atom that had a similar costume.

Capt Atom

Your link is broken. It's not clickable and copying the URL and entering it manually only returns an error page from google.
    edited August 2011
    Blitz1 wrote:

Capt Atom
    Your link is broken. It's not clickable and copying the URL and entering it manually only returns an error page from google.

I managed to figure out his link.
    Try here @ http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/David665/?action=view&current=screenshot_2007-04-27-16-36-34a.jpg
    edited August 2011
    Well, I go away to GenCon and interesting discussions break out while I can't reply. ;)

As a couple of you have mentioned, Champions Beyond is the definitive sourcebook for the Star*Guard and many related subjects. It's currently available in PDF and has just been sent to the printer, so hard copies should be available within a couple weeks.
    edited August 2011
    In fact the hardcover version of Champions Beyond is now listed as available in the Hero Games website online store:

https://www.herogames.com/browse.htm?keywords=champions+beyond&categoryID=220001&releaseDate=-1&available=Y&book=Y&pdf=Y&characterPack=Y&multiBook=Y&other=Y&damaged=Y

It should make its way out to brick-and-mortar game stores shortly. :)
    edited August 2011
    I would love to see this added to the Champions Online Universe. ;)
    edited August 2011
    cptpatriot wrote:

Thanx, Cap. The link worked in the preview.....not sure why the link broke after posting.
    edited September 2011
    Thundrax wrote:
    The StarGuard are an interstellar police, diplomacy and peacekeeping force, similar in role to the Green Lantern Corps of DC Comics. One million years ago on the planet Ostrugar. the Ostrugaran hero Gloran the Great founded the order, and built the great computer CONTROL to keep it running efficiently and effectively after he was gone. Clad in military style blue and silver uniforms and wielding a powerful weapon called a StarStaff, the StarGuard bring peace to planets torn by war, order to regions of space beset by anarchy and injustice, and champion emergent species who wish to peacefully join the galactic community..

They have a presence on Earth, which is in a sector designated Sector Zeta-491738: since 1990, former Spanish policeman Andre Almena has been the StarGuard's representative on earth. Based on a hidden Star*Base on Jupiter's moon Europa, Almena and a brave crew of aliens works with Earth's superheroes to help protect it from cosmic foes like the Gadroon, the Qularr, and the Elder Worms, as well as cosmic villains like Astron, Mordace, and Valak the World-Ravager.

Unform (the guy with the staff):
    http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/HER/HERDOJHERO1106E_500.jpeg

Much more info may be found in the Champions Beyond book, which is avalable in PDF form and an excellent read: I'd love for Cryptic to do a Champions Universe cosmic costume pack which included pre-built alien species and StarGuard uniforms, and give us a Star-Staff power set too.

please tell me that can be classified as a type of sorcery, it sounds like StarGuard is somewhere where Apy belongs, especially when i see it in potential future plans for endgame content
    edited September 2011
    Thundrax wrote:

Witchcraft in an GL-esque aura of oxygen?, and Defender in a bubblehelm! (outer-space suit?).
    Based on a hidden Star*Base on Jupiter's moon Europa, Almena and a brave crew of aliens works with Earth's superheroes to help protect it from cosmic foes like the Gadroon, the Qularr, and the Elder Worms, as well as cosmic villains like Astron, Mordace, and Valak the World-Ravager.

You're FIRED ! :D
    edited September 2011
    Well, he did say "help protect." ;)
    edited September 2011
    please tell me that can be classified as a type of sorcery,

Neither the Star-Staff nor the other Star*Guard super-technology can be classified as magical. They're a high-tech bunch. ;)
    edited December 2011
    Well, he did say "help protect." ;)

He doesn't even help! When was the last time you saw a Star Guard at Monster Island or The Desert fighting the Qulaar? or In Millenium City? or Canada fighting the Gadroon or The Elder Worms?

Thank goodness for The Starrior Corp!!!

Just saying...:D
    edited December 2011
    V9ngu9rd wrote:
    Thank goodness for The Starrior Corp!!!

Starriors, man. I totally remember those guys.
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, yeah, "there's never a cop around when you need one," etc. etc. Everbody's a critic. :rolleyes:

Put your life on the line fighting for the entire galaxy for a million years, but all you get is, "What have you done for me lately?" :(
    edited December 2011
    When my Star*Guard cadet Kann Karoth has been fighting the Gadroon and the Qularr and the Elder Worm, he hasn't seen any sign of these Starriors bozos. :)
    edited December 2011
    Thundrax wrote:
    When my Star*Guard cadet Kann Karoth has been fighting the Gadroon and the Qularr and the Elder Worm, he hasn't seen any sign of these Starriors bozos. :)

Actually, Thundrax, you have, infact we are good friends (this is funny 'cause we actually have met and are on good terms):rolleyes:
    edited December 2011
    V9ngu9rd wrote:
    Actually, Thundrax, you have, infact we are good friends (this is funny 'cause we actually have met and are on good terms):rolleyes:

I tease. No worries. :D

Nice to see the Star*Guard finally get a mention in game, even if Justiciar didn't get the name right.
    edited December 2011
    Thundrax wrote:

You'll currently find me fighting The Q'ulaar on Monster Island, as well as ARGENT "cadet"...:eek:
    edited December 2011
    And it's "Commander Trace Morgen" of The Starrior Corp.
    edited January 2012
    I've not yet played champions though i've wanted to try it for decades. I recently started the online game and I'm really loving the retro-scifi set in the online game and have a group of characters inspired by it i want to use in pen and paper rpging. Clearly whether i'm GMing or playing the Champions Beyond book will be needed, but what other books are needed or useful for a retro scifi rich game?
    edited January 2012
    When you say "retro scifi-rich game," how "retro" do you mean, in terms of style and subject matter? For example, are you going back to Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, or Burroughs's Barsoom? Rayguns, rocket ships, swordplay, space barbarians, and alien princesses? Or more like 1960's "Silver Age" comic books such as Green Lantern, Adam Strange, or the Legion of Superheroes -- many humanoid alien races bent on conquering Earth, heroes and villains with distinctive weapons or gimmicks, "rubber science" explanations for how things work? And are you looking to play very high-powered supers, or something closer to jedi from the original Star Wars trilogy? Champions Beyond can fit a range of supers campaign conventions if you want to use elements of the official Champions Universe, but other Hero Games books might be more or less useful depending on the sort of campaign you're shooting for.

Generally speaking, you need the HERO System Sixth Edition rulebooks to play Champions or any other genre of game using Hero rules; either the two volume full rules (Character Creation and Combat And Adventuring), or the much shorter and cheaper Basic Rulebook. If you're unfamiliar with HERO System the latter makes a great introduction, and you can use most of the other 6E published material with just this book. If you eventually upgrade to the full rules, the BR makes a great quick reference at the gaming table, and a good primer for new players.

The Champions genre book is full of excellent advice on how to run supers games, for Hero or any other system, particularly if you're not familiar with the conventions of the genre. Champions Powers is full of pre-generated super powers that you or your players can just drag-and-drop, greatly simplifying character generation. And along those lines, the Hero Designer software speeds up chargen dramatically.

If your scifi game has a lot of real science in it, you'd probably also benefit from Hero's genre book for all elements of the science-fiction genre, Star HERO. Beyond that, again, the books I'd recommend will depend on the style of game you want.
    edited January 2012
    Hi and thanks!

I've run gurps atomic horror and lensman before but i'd not explored mixing those ideas with superhero stories till i ran into the adam strange batman the brave and the bold episode (i'd not heard of adam before) and then started playing champions online and saw and got the retro scifi costume set and moonbase hideouts which has subsequently dominated my online champions game experience :)

I was thinking of something that mixed a lot of different early scifi eras, a bit of lensman here, a dash of burroughs there, some tom corbett, rocky jones, buck and flash, a good dose of alien invasions and plucky scientists, some atomic robo and a hint of ed wood for the lighthearted moments all added to standard superhero stuff. A little bit of everything.
    edited January 2012
    Hmm... well, based on your interests I can think of a few more books that might provide elements you can use for this kind of campaign.

For starters, you might look at Galactic Champions, describing the Champions Universe a thousand years in the future. This part of the setting was inspired by comic series such as DC's Legion of Super-Heroes and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy -- supers in space, protecting civilization from awesome alien and cosmic threats. You can read about and order this book from the Hero Games website online store, here: https://www.herogames.com/browse.htm?keywords=galactic+champions&categoryID=220001&releaseDate=-1&available=Y&book=Y&pdf=Y&characterPack=Y&multiBook=Y&damaged=Y . This is a Fifth Edition HERO System book (the current edition of the game is Sixth), but if that's not an issue for you, note that it's now half its original price from the Hero store.

From Hero's Star HERO scifi book line, I can think of a few things that might interest you. Terran Empire and Alien Wars are part of the official Hero Universe timeline which includes the present-day CU, set centuries in the future when mankind has expanded to the stars but superhumans don't exist. They provide good background and resources for "space opera" and "military scifi," respectively, and are particularly useful if you want to flesh out several of the major alien races described in Champions Beyond. Worlds Of Empire, also based in the official future Hero Universe, details a number of alien worlds on which you could set adventures. Scourges Of The Galaxy is a collection of NPCs, mostly for "heroic level" games, although it does include a few interesting super-class threats. All of these books are for the Fifth Edition of the game, and so are also half their original price.

The Star HERO line includes a couple of Sixth Edition PDF setting books (not part of the official Hero Universe) that sound like they would fit the style of game you want: The Day After Ragnarok and Lux Aeternum. You can read about and order all the above Star HERO books from the Hero Games website online store, here: https://www.herogames.com/browse.htm?keywords=&categoryID=220005&releaseDate=-1&available=Y&book=Y&pdf=Y&multiBook=Y&damaged=Y .

Finally, for real "retro" scifi of the Buck and Flash variety ;) , I suggest this interesting Fifth Edition PDF setting book from the Hero Store, Solar Smith and the Sky-Pirates of Arcturus: https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=195851 .
    edited January 2012
    Thundrax wrote:
    I'd love for Cryptic to do a Champions Universe cosmic costume pack which included pre-built alien species and StarGuard uniforms, and give us a Star-Staff power set too.

I also would love to see this. In fact, I submitted it as an idea in the Suggestion Box a bit ago as a possible future AT.

(crossing fingers)
    edited January 2012
    Thundrax wrote:
    I'd love for Cryptic to do a Champions Universe cosmic costume pack which included pre-built alien species and StarGuard uniforms, and give us a Star-Staff power set too.

I never thought CoH would be beating Champions to a staff-set - but they will; Linky 1, Linky 2.

My only hope is that when CO development catches up, it incorporates some of the wizard staff dev aspirations, so that a CO staff set (if swung towards a StarGuard-style) will have potential for both melee and ranged incorporating emanation points.
    edited January 2012
    They would have to be careful with going all cosmic on us. Might cause story line problems preventinc the inevitable STO / CO crossovers so many want.

But I dream...
    edited January 2012
    I never thought CoH would be beating Champions to a staff-set - but they will; Linky 1, Linky 2.

I'm not, I remember when Cryptic was still in charge of CoH a staff fighting set was suggested and a Cryptic animator stated that it couldn't be done due to the size sliders. Paragon once again proves that it is willing to do something that can't be done or considered too much work to do, but in all fairness it did take them a really long time to put in the tech for it.
    edited January 2012
    They would have to be careful with going all cosmic on us. Might cause story line problems preventinc the inevitable STO / CO crossovers so many want.

But I dream...

In what way would it be an impediment?
    As they are taking place at different times and probably in different alternate universes wouldn't there need to be a time machine, inter-dimensional wormhole or the like to enable the crossover anyway? And that would i would think excuse just about anything.

I could see the Star Guardian being the one to open such a portal through time, space and dimension in order to summon help from the federation and thus facilitate a crossover.

Whether we can get a crossover may depend solely on the legal arrangements. I'm hoping to give STO a try once it goes FTP and my net connection is swapped over in a few days to something less cripplingly tiny. I sure hope i can have a Klingon with a BoP on FtP. But even then Champions will be my focus.. assuming i can ever get the launcher working again.
    edited January 2012
    In what way would it be an impediment?
    As they are taking place at different times and probably in different alternate universes wouldn't there need to be a time machine, inter-dimensional wormhole or the like to enable the crossover anyway? And that would i would think excuse just about anything.

I could see the Star Guardian being the one to open such a portal through time, space and dimension in order to summon help from the federation and thus facilitate a crossover.

Whether we can get a crossover may depend solely on the legal arrangements. I'm hoping to give STO a try once it goes FTP and my net connection is swapped over in a few days to something less cripplingly tiny. I sure hope i can have a Klingon with a BoP on FtP. But even then Champions will be my focus.. assuming i can ever get the launcher working again.

I was sort of kidding about that. With worm holes and superstring theory and Qliphothic radiation and ... Everything is possible. Well sort of. We don't see any superheroes in the Star Trek genre, so it might be fun to think about, but we already know the story line for post disaster WW 7 whatever ST Earth and John Cochran, so getting the two to mesh would take a good writer.

I may try STO f2p as well.
    edited January 2012
    I was sort of kidding about that. With worm holes and superstring theory and Qliphothic radiation and ... Everything is possible. Well sort of. We don't see any superheroes in the Star Trek genre, so it might be fun to think about, but we already know the story line for post disaster WW 7 whatever ST Earth and John Cochran, so getting the two to mesh would take a good writer.

I may try STO f2p as well.

When you think about it, even the original Star Trek series had plenty of creatures who for all intents and purposes have super-powers: Talosians, Gorn, Horta, androids, genetic augments, up to near-omnipotents like the Organians and Metrons. Some of them could hang with superheroes pretty credibly.
    edited January 2012
    When you think about it, even the original Star Trek series had plenty of creatures who for all intents and purposes have super-powers: Talosians, Gorn, Horta, androids, genetic augments, up to near-omnipotents like the Organians and Metrons. Some of them could hang with superheroes pretty credibly.

Hmmmmm....not on the level that CO superheroes are at. Just played STO for the first time yesterday. Nothing feels even close to any of my characters in CO. STO is the world of technology. Even a 6th level superhero could take apart any of the above references one on one. Cmdr Data would be a infant kitten and same with any of the other races. The Q are the only thing that would pose a real threat to a CO superhero.
    edited January 2012
    idk, I'd be expecting a marvel crossover to star trek... XMEN *cough cough*
    edited January 2012

My only hope is that when CO development catches up, it incorporates some of the wizard staff dev aspirations, so that a CO staff set (if swung towards a StarGuard-style) will have potential for both melee and ranged incorporating emanation points.

oh god! -makes grabby hands-
    edited January 2012

Those animations actually looked amazing. I'm glad there was a stupid "War Wall" in the background to remind me that I don't need to go back to CoX.