test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sigh

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited November 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Hero Games is going from a 3 man operation (Steve Long, Darren Watts, Jason Walters) down to 1 (Jason). See here, at least until next week.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    I am saddened by this turn of events.
    edited November 2011
    Whoa...

Darren leaving is a suprise, but Steve leaving is a huge shock! Steve IS Hero Games...

I be a sad, sad panda now...

:(
    edited November 2011
    Wow...that's rough. :[
    edited November 2011
    :( This is quite depressing news. I wish the best of luck to Hero Games, and to Darren and Steve in specific.
    edited November 2011
    This is terrible news.

I guess not such a surprise given the state of the economy in general, and in Gaming in particular.

Best of luck to everyone.
    edited November 2011
    How will this effect Cryptic and seriously they must be really bad off if two people out of only three are leaving, is it an internal thing or most likely money issues as the economy is crap at this time.
    edited November 2011
    Bael1337 wrote:
    How will this effect Cryptic and seriously they must be really bad off if two people out of only three are leaving, is it an internal thing or most likely money issues as the economy is crap at this time.

The Economy almost certainly.

It shouldn't affect Cryptic directly at all. Cryptic outright purchased the Champions intellectual property from Hero games, and it's obvious in their agreement that each helps to advertise the other.
    edited November 2011
    OMG that ruined my whole century ....
    Ive always seen Hero games stuff as the only rival to D&D.

No doubt with Cryptic ( and above them PWE ) having control of the Champions IP obviously we will see a few Champions games down the line but hearing the system that spawned it have a rough time is grim news indeed.

Video Games killed the PnP.

Hope Steve sticks around the forum the man is a well of Champions lore.
    edited November 2011
    My first pnp game was Fantasy Hero so hearing this new is grim.

As already stated this economy is bad for games and computer gaming seriously damaged table top games. This I think saddens me as PnP gaming has no limits and makes you use your imagination computer gaming just lets you use some one elses. Ok in this game you get to make your own characters but the plot is controlled by the devs and the game engine.

I hope all concerned move on to greener pastures and realise the hours of fun they have given to many people. I still say the Hero system is the best role-playing system around .
    edited November 2011
    This is sad news and hopefully not long-term permanent. :(

In the meantime I'm hopefull Cryptic will continue to draw inspiration from and do justice to the vast archive of Champions lore for this its ongoing MMO on the IP.
    edited November 2011
    I hope the at least the kickstarter project works out for now.
    edited November 2011
    If Cryptic are hiring again they gotta hire those guys .
    edited November 2011
    Steve Long writing scenarios for Champions Online? That would be beyond awesome. :D
    edited November 2011
    That's an unfortunate turn of events. I've been a big fan of Champions since the early 80's.
    Steve Long writing scenarios for Champions Online? That would be beyond awesome. :D

Agreed!
    edited November 2011

Potential upside. :o If this does happens, I'll be extra happy!
    edited November 2011

You know what to do now, Cryptic. ;)
    edited November 2011
    I am really saddened by this turn of events. Darren and Steve have been very good friends and employers over the years. and I wish them nothing but the best.
    edited November 2011

That so would be. :)
    edited November 2011
    So this means no more champions books? *cries*
    edited November 2011
    Lohr wrote:

Well, I'm sure that the change was mainly their status from employee to freelancer. Steve and Darren are so saturated within the Hero Games brand that it seems it's mainly an economic decision to just manage the books they have and ride them out till they're in a more profitable position to solicit new material.

On a side note: I do have some radical ideas on how they COULD turn it around; though I'm sure that they've probably covered all the bases from their wealth of experience.
    edited November 2011
    Lohr wrote:

Prospects don't look quite that grim. :) Jason Walters is determined to get Book Of The Empress in print and out to retailers, since it's ready to be printed now. Darren Watts has said he refuses to let all the work he's put into Golden Age Champions and Silver Age Champions go to waste. Hero Games can continue to hire freelancers for specific projects. Output will undoubtedly slow dramatically, but the company has weathered bleaker times than these in the past and bounced back.