test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reading the manuals, is amazed.

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
So, having played Online for a bit, I decided to check out a torrent of the tabletop game manuals, with the intention of buying and playing in future if it interests me.
And, much like how D&D blew my mind briefly a few years ago, so did this. But even more so because we've gotten to know the characters.
And thus... I am left weak by the manuals and their higher level of awesome than the online game.
Firstly... Witchcraft isn't a D cup! Or doesn't appear to be. I'm not sure why, but that makes me happy.
Also... Nighthawk is awesome! He's like Batman except not.
Defender! He's... ... Okay, that is the derpiest power armour I have ever seen. That's all I can think when looking at it: 'derp'. However, it is interesting to look at his backstory properly rather than snippets in the game...
Also... Details for Socrates. Stats. This is good. There may be a Socrates clone entering Champions soon, a robot body for the AI, perhaps.
And he will be.. ACCURATE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!

*is now thinking of buying all these books when I get my loan, even if I wasn't interested in Champions lore and abiltiies, I'd buy at least one to get how a tabletop system can work with a 6d, rather than the absurdly confuddling bigger dices of other games.*

This post isn't really going anywhere, but I had to post something since I've been reading these tomes of awesome.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Um... It's great that you like the books but you might want to think twice about...um...your honesty in certain places of your post.
    edited September 2011
    good point. :)
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the other side of Champions. :)

With everything that the MMO can do, and do well, it still can't bring you the depth, the detail, the subtlety, the roleplaying potential, that's packed into those thick, juicy books for the tabletop game.

This is a setting that's evolved over literally thirty years. If you start to explore the source material, I think you'll be amazed at how much Champions Online has of necessity had to skirt around and gloss over.

Then there's the HERO System, the game mechanic engine for PnP Champions and all Hero games. Comparing the game books for D&D to those for HERO is like comparing prefabricated furniture kits to a fully-stocked carpentry shop with a stack of "how to" manuals. The former is quick and straightforward, but constrains you to what their designers wanted. The latter lets you build whatever you can imagine, exactly the way you want it.
    edited September 2011
    Glad you're enjoying the books!

Since it takes a lot more effort to create/program/manage an MMO than for me to write a book, there's certainly a lot they cover that hasn't yet gone into the MMO, and maybe never will. Similarly, there are parts of the PnP setting that have to be changed a bit to make them work properly in an MMO -- for example, changes in appearance are sometimes necessary to make a character "stand out" the way he should on the screen. I'm just glad we have the chance to create more stuff and fill in the backgrounds so that Cryptic has lots of material to work with if they want it! :)

And now... back to writing The Book Of The Empress. ;)
    edited September 2011
    Speaking of providing material for Cryptic to develop, I noticed that not many months after Champions Beyond was published, giving more background and description to the Roin'esh, that alien race turns up in the adventure pack now being worked on by Cryptic.

Who knows what dimensional goodness may come down the MMO pike after the devs get a look at Book Of The Empress! :D