test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Kings of Edom

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
One of my guildies asked me about where she could find some info about them, and I pointed her in the direction of Arcane Adversaries. Are there any books with more indepth info on them?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Auspicious wrote:
    One of my guildies asked me about where she could find some info about them, and I pointed her in the direction of Arcane Adversaries. Are there any books with more indepth info on them?

there seems to be online game lore of them. perhaps this lore could be located in some wiki? some of the lore bits were several paragraphs each......
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think they're discussed in more detail in the DEMON sourcebook; there's a paragraph or so on each.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    if you are looking for those kings of edom that relate to Demonflame, then the book of the harrowing has information on them.

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/The_Harrowing

Also, the kings of edom, in general:
    http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/The%20Kings%20of%20Edom
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    @Lucid: Can you give me page numbers?

@Lohr: Arcane Adversaries gives way, way more information than what is available ingame
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Auspicious wrote:
    @Lucid: Can you give me page numbers?

@Lohr: Arcane Adversaries gives way, way more information than what is available ingame

Yes, I am aware of that, thanks for pointing that out though. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    thank you LoHr for looking that up. a few of those books were really hidden well.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The kings of Edom seem to play such a role in the online game, always manipulating things in one way or another...

think we'll ever have the chance to punch one in the shin~or go mad by staring at what our brains cannot conceave to be its shin?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Arcane Adversaries remains the primary in-print source of information on the Kings of Edom for the time being. The Mystic World is also a useful source, as is DEMON (insofar as it discusses the Kings upon which Luther Black's interest is focused).
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lalunaluu wrote:
    The kings of Edom seem to play such a role in the online game, always manipulating things in one way or another...

think we'll ever have the chance to punch one in the shin~or go mad by staring at what our brains cannot conceave to be its shin?

I think there avatars are about as close as well ever get.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    One thing I don't remember reading in game, but seem to recall a buddy with the Champions book telling me is that the Kings of Edom are similar to Cthulu in that all but the most insane of lunatics will seek to prevent their manifesting on Earth. That is to say, even Viper and Argent would team up with the Champions to block an effort by Luther Black or whoever to summon one to the mortal realm.

I may be incorrect on that, but if I'm not, there isn't a lot mroe you really need to know to really get the picture of what sort of power scale we're talking.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    One thing I don't remember reading in game, but seem to recall a buddy with the Champions book telling me is that the Kings of Edom are similar to Cthulu in that all but the most insane of lunatics will seek to prevent their manifesting on Earth. That is to say, even Viper and Argent would team up with the Champions to block an effort by Luther Black or whoever to summon one to the mortal realm.

I may be incorrect on that, but if I'm not, there isn't a lot mroe you really need to know to really get the picture of what sort of power scale we're talking.

Viper were ordered to stop the last summoning attempt by Nama as the kings and Nama are enemies. Vipers interference is mentioned by the contact for daemon flame i think
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MESS wrote:
    Viper were ordered to stop the last summoning attempt by Nama as the kings and Nama are enemies. Vipers interference is mentioned by the contact for daemon flame i think

Specifically, Nama and Sharna-Gorak have crossed paths in the past, and they are enemies. When Luther attempted to summon him, Nama called VIPER to intervene.

Also, yes, the Kings are ultra-godlike. Even the weaker Kings could pretty much remake large portions of the universe to their liking, and if one were freed it would probably take a massive undertaking by Earth's mystic heroes to even hope to have a chance. The fortunate thing is that the Quaternion is well-defended by the various divine entities who occupy it, so Earth might be able to avoid being completely destroyed if a King were freed.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

You are essentially correct. According to the lore of the PnP game, the Kings of Edom are unlike any of the demons that fill human mythology and religion (and who are more or less real in the Champions Universe). Those are manifestations of understandably human evil, but the Edomite races are completely alien in thought and desire. As their creator Dean Shomshak wrote, it's not that the Kings of Edom are evil; they're just higher up on the food chain. ;) Should they ever get free of their imprisonment, they would remake the physical laws of the universe to their liking, and enslave or devour every living thing.

In the mystic community of the CU, the word is out that DEMON serves something a lot more dangerous than conventional evil, and the organization is shunned by every other occult villain. Even the lords of the Netherworld (i.e. "hell") have forbidden their minions from having anything to do with DEMON.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Auspicious wrote:
    Also, yes, the Kings are ultra-godlike. Even the weaker Kings could pretty much remake large portions of the universe to their liking, and if one were freed it would probably take a massive undertaking by Earth's mystic heroes to even hope to have a chance. The fortunate thing is that the Quaternion is well-defended by the various divine entities who occupy it, so Earth might be able to avoid being completely destroyed if a King were freed.

Sadly, Earth can't count on the gods of the Quarternion for protection from the Kings of Edom or other extra-dimensional supernatural conquerors like Tyrannon or Skarn. Page 61 of The Mystic World states that divine magic, being a product of human belief, has no effect on creatures from the Outer Planes. In one infamous incident Skarn invaded Faerie and personally defeated the war gods of six pantheons. He could use all his powers against them while they could only employ their physical strength.

The purpose of this within a RPG context, of course, is that Earth's superheroes can't count on a literal deus ex machina to save them from such entities. They have to step up and do the job themselves, like real heroes. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    One thing to keep in mind is that while the Kings as implemented in Champions are fictional; the concept of Qliphoth is a real part of Jewish mysticism in the real world, an extension of the ideas connected with the Tree of Life.

Broadly speaking, something that is qliphothic has gone so far astray from its original purpose that it now actually opposes this original purpose. In this sense, a corrupt judge could be described as being qliphothic in a mundane sort of way.

Thus, the Kings of Edom can be seen as living personifications of self-negation and self-defeat. Their power may be vast in physical terms, but what benefit can be derived in the end from, say, knowledge that harms the user? Whether or not all evil is self-defeating, as some people say, remains a philosophical question. But the qliphothic certainly eats its own tail. The risk is only that, in destroying themselves again and again, the Kings also could bring down the Champions universe in the process.

I'm impressed that the Champions IP has managed to capture the essence of the concept in their treatment of the Kings.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    One correlation im fond of referring to is the kings are edom are basically the champions universe version of the pantheon written by another esteemed horror writer with the intials of H.P.L and we all know who that guy is :P (or at least most will)

Youll note the use of face tentacles..and comments in the arcane adversaries book of creatures made of angles...or curves...unable to manifest thru anything save a corner etc. etc. Very reminescent of ol H.P.'s stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The going mad mechanic was handled very nicely in Dark Corners of the Earth (DCotE) which used to blur and distort everything if you stared at the bad monsters too much. It was really well done if a little frustrating in the sense you couldn't always get a really good look at the exquisitely rendered Shoggoth/Flying Polyps.
    I'm guessing this is a major game mechanic and would require a lorra coding to bolt onto CO as well as some seriously otherworldly rendering/art design.
    See here for Shoggoth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14q6P3FJfxQ
    And here for Polyp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAFOrXS0bbg&feature=related
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    In the mystic community of the CU, the word is out that DEMON serves something a lot more dangerous than conventional evil, and the organization is shunned by every other occult villain. Even the lords of the Netherworld (i.e. "hell") have forbidden their minions from having anything to do with DEMON.

How does this mesh with DEMON members summoning demons to do their bidding as a regular function of gameplay?

And, why are demons pouring out of the Qlipthothic rifts in the downtown area?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    In the "mystic world* book....it states that the kings are imprisoned in empty pocket universes and places man can not find. This doesnt mesh with the online game...the qliphothic realm is basically hell..not the place where the kings were put. (which confused me at first as well) So they kinda went askew with that part.

As for demon summoning demons....it states demons will NOT consort with them in any way willingly...sadly with the proper rituals demon forces servitude out of them whether they like it or not....and thats another reason that demons,devils and the netherrealm in general hates them as much as pretty much everyone else....including most evil mystic villains.

In fact most evil mystic villains will team up without much prodding to fight demon and the crud they summon just out of fact as even they know what will happen if demon wins.

As for why they are pouring out of rifts in downtown MC....go thru that story arc that starts near the magic lantern bookstore with the lady outside when you get to that level :P It explains it.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As for why they are pouring out of rifts in downtown MC....go thru that story arc that starts near the magic lantern bookstore with the lady outside when you get to that level :P It explains it.

Yeah, I've actually finished that arc (twice), as well as Demonflame.

Now, granted, I didn't read a lot of the text on the second playthrough, but I did on the first, and I'm still at a bit of a loss for why demons would be pouring through Qliphothic rifts, and not... well, Qliphothic Horrors.

As for the summoning, yeah, that does make sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    In the "mystic world* book....it states that the kings are imprisoned in empty pocket universes and places man can not find. This doesnt mesh with the online game...the qliphothic realm is basically hell..not the place where the kings were put. (which confused me at first as well) So they kinda went askew with that part.

If you read more about the Qliphoth in The Mystic World, you'll find that while the Kings of Edom and their followers, the Edomites, came from there originally, those dimensions are not necessarily the prisons of the Kings. There are numerous Qliphothic worlds, with other creatures than Edomites inhabiting them, as well as other powerful entities like the Ravens of Dispersion. One Qliphothic dimension, the Shining Darkness, is described in fair detail in TMW.

However, you're quite right in that the Qliphoth in the PnP game is meant to be totally alien to our universe and life-forms, not an analogue to Hell. Pursuant to that, please see my post below. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I've actually finished that arc (twice), as well as Demonflame.

Now, granted, I didn't read a lot of the text on the second playthrough, but I did on the first, and I'm still at a bit of a loss for why demons would be pouring through Qliphothic rifts, and not... well, Qliphothic Horrors.

As for the summoning, yeah, that does make sense.

Perhaps it was just technically easier for Cryptic to animate humanoid demons, rather than masses of tentacles or abstract collections of lines, as some of the PnP Edomites are described. And truly alien environments like the Shining Darkness would be pretty rough to render in graphic form, and probably harder for people to relate to than more standard Hellscapes.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Perhaps it was just technically easier for Cryptic to animate humanoid demons, rather than masses of tentacles or abstract collections of lines, as some of the PnP Edomites are described. And truly alien environments like the Shining Darkness would be pretty rough to render in graphic form, and probably harder for people to relate to than more standard Hellscapes.

Okay, from a development standpoint it makes sense if, the Qliphothic horrors only got added in with Demonflame (I think the Trey Kings in Vibora Bay predate them, but, that was still a later addition to the game), so the developers used fire demons as stand ins. That makes sense. But it still leads to a weird situation where creatures that (apparently) shouldn't be, are emerging from the rifts in downtown.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Well the last guy you fight in that arc is a big baddy and hes spose to be wearing the *Crown of Krim* Which is another er....discrepency. Dark Seraph is the one sposedly wearing that thing yet this other guy you fight has it.

The Crown of Krim's background is sketchy but from what i gather its some ungodly powerful artifact from the turakian era(i think) and hes using it to create a new empire on earth....though why choose a business district in a bustling city and not some remote location eludes me :P

Heh...maybe we should ask them animate an angler....or a color from space? :P so we can go mad playing CO lol
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well the last guy you fight in that arc is a big baddy and hes spose to be wearing the *Crown of Krim* Which is another er....discrepency. Dark Seraph is the one sposedly wearing that thing yet this other guy you fight has it.

The Crown of Krim's background is sketchy but from what i gather its some ungodly powerful artifact from the turakian era(i think) and hes using it to create a new empire on earth....though why choose a business district in a bustling city and not some remote location eludes me :P

Well, to be precise, there are six Crowns of Krim, each worn by one member of a team called "the Crowns of Krim," led by Dark Seraph, who wears the Iron Crown, most powerful of the six. The other villains are called Bloodstone (Blood Crown), Eclipse (Shadow Crown), Phoenix (Shining Crown), Force (Golden Crown), and Temblor (Stone Crown). The Dragon Crown worn by Takofanes is also connected to the Crowns of Krim; he and the Crowns all date from the antediluvian Turakian Age.

Although the six villains often work together, they may also pursue their own individual goals.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Well, to be precise, there are six Crowns of Krim, each worn by one member of a team called "the Crowns of Krim," led by Dark Seraph, who wears the Iron Crown, most powerful of the six. The other villains are called Bloodstone (Blood Crown), Eclipse (Shadow Crown), Phoenix (Shining Crown), Force (Golden Crown), and Temblor (Stone Crown). The Dragon Crown worn by Takofanes is also connected to the Crowns of Krim; he and the Crowns all date from the antediluvian Turakian Age.

Although the six villains often work together, they may also pursue their own individual goals.

Judging by the Crowns of Krim lore drops I've actually managed to find, it looks like they're working together at the moment. Though, I'll admit, I'm a bit mystified as to how exactly they tie into this.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    is there not a kind of "one ring to rule them" thing with the crows where the wearer of the iron crown can command/influence those that ware the lesser crowns.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    How does this mesh with DEMON members summoning demons to do their bidding as a regular function of gameplay?

And, why are demons pouring out of the Qlipthothic rifts in the downtown area?

First question: Although this isn't covered very well in the game lore (because the writers thought that the Qliphothic was just another world for 'hell'), DEMON cultists usually summon creatures from the Netherworld, hell planes that are inside the normal hierarchy of the universe. The Netherworld basically encompasses all the hells that might exist; they're the embodiment of sinful nature, hedonism, and punishments for those associated sinful natures. In the Vibora arc, Therakiel is trying to incite a war between the Netherworld and Elysium; the Qliphothic is not involved there. DEMON cultists can also summon Qliphothic horrors too; there's nothing stopping any given cultist from learning those kinds of summons, but they are less common in the lore versus Netherworld creatures.

As for why demons are coming out of Qliphothic rifts downtown, it's somewhat explained in the game's story text. Honestly though, the Qliphothic was not well-written early on, so you have characters like Bloodstone associating with it when the Netherworld would be more appropriate. A lot of the more lore-appropriate mystic roleplayers disregard that particular story just because it doesn't fit very well with the rest of the mystic lore in the books.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    MESS wrote:
    is there not a kind of "one ring to rule them" thing with the crows where the wearer of the iron crown can command/influence those that ware the lesser crowns.

The background text about the Crowns Of Krim in Champions Villains Vol. 2 more or less states that, but it's not something that's reflected on their PnP character sheets, and in any case it doesn't appear to be a master/slave relationship. The other Crowns are described as sometimes disobeying or disputing Dark Seraph; it's implied that he commands them as much through threat of force as through innate allegiance to him.

OTOH Takofanes' Dragon Crown is believed to be able to bind the Crowns of Krim to the Undying King's service, if he can immobilize them long enough to perform the necessary ritual. He did this during the Turakian Age, giving the six Crowns to the satraps of his empire. Takofanes seems to be hunting the Crowns to try and capture them; they've clashed a number of times over the years.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Auspicious wrote:
    First question: Although this isn't covered very well in the game lore (because the writers thought that the Qliphothic was just another world for 'hell'), DEMON cultists usually summon creatures from the Netherworld, hell planes that are inside the normal hierarchy of the universe. The Netherworld basically encompasses all the hells that might exist; they're the embodiment of sinful nature, hedonism, and punishments for those associated sinful natures. In the Vibora arc, Therakiel is trying to incite a war between the Netherworld and Elysium; the Qliphothic is not involved there. DEMON cultists can also summon Qliphothic horrors too; there's nothing stopping any given cultist from learning those kinds of summons, but they are less common in the lore versus Netherworld creatures.

Well explained, Auspicious. :) I'll just add that in the PnP game lore, typically only the most arrogant or foolish wizard will summon Qliphothic entities. Demons of the Netherworld, although utterly evil, are at least human evil. One can understand their motivations and how to bargain with them. Creatures of the Qliphoth are totally alien and unpredictable. Luther Black is actually wary of his Morbanes trafficking with the Qliphoth; he doesn't want them learning too much, or falling under the influence of Kings of Edom who aren't "his" Kings.
    Auspicious wrote:
    As for why demons are coming out of Qliphothic rifts downtown, it's somewhat explained in the game's story text. Honestly though, the Qliphothic was not well-written early on, so you have characters like Bloodstone associating with it when the Netherworld would be more appropriate. A lot of the more lore-appropriate mystic roleplayers disregard that particular story just because it doesn't fit very well with the rest of the mystic lore in the books.

Interestingly, the history of the Crowns of Krim in Champions Villains Vol. 2 states that they have worked with DEMON in the past for mutual benefit, as have other mystic villains; but now that the Mystic World is aware of DEMON's true allegiance the Crowns avoid them. I suppose the arc with Bloodstone could be considered from a time when he was still ignorant of the true situation.

It is annoying for us purists, but I'm sure most of people playing this game don't know the difference between Qliphothic and Netherworld monsters, and I suspect the majority wouldn't care if they did know. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Interestingly, the history of the Crowns of Krim in Champions Villains Vol. 2 states that they have worked with DEMON in the past for mutual benefit, as have other mystic villains; but now that the Mystic World is aware of DEMON's true allegiance the Crowns avoid them. I suppose the arc with Bloodstone could be considered from a time when he was still ignorant of the true situation.

It is annoying for us purists, but I'm sure most of people playing this game don't know the difference between Qliphothic and Netherworld monsters, and I suspect the majority wouldn't care if they did know. ;)

I must be the only one that's actually collected all teh in game lore :p

Anyways, from Bloodstone's orders pertaining to this point of why Bloodstone is still there with DEMON;
    Bloodstone,

Continue to observe DEMON's plans in Millennium City. Do not betray them until you've concluded your research into their demon-binding rituals. If we are to succeed, we will need to push the fiends of the descending heirarchy in ways we've never had to before, and learning the techniques of DEMON has recently begun to employ to coerce the spawn of Hell may be vital.

Second paragraph just talks about your character. This part of the story is over two years old (an inherent flaw in theme park mechanics as the story remains time locked basically even when new parts are added thus creating confusion) so of course, this part assumes that you've not trafficked with DEMON, Qliphoth or any of that non-sense, but this letter more than states that the Crowns are well aware of DEMON and have no intention of being friends.

Also, an excerpt from in-game. This does not in any way state that they believe that Qliphoth was the same as Hell, but instead were using Qliphothic energy to bind the demons;
    Bloodstone was in Millennium City, working alongside the diabolic sorcerers of DEMON to harvest blood and bind summoned fiends using Qliphothic energy.

So far, it all points to a bigger story coming in the future, perhaps even a raid encounter to face off against the Crowns and perhaps and avatar of their master?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thank you for that illuminating and thought-provoking input, Silverspar. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's also worth pointing out that, by definition, Qliphothic entities had some prior existence before becoming...what they are now. Why couldn't beings from the Netherworld be converted as easily as any others?

Looking at the problem from another perspective, Qliphothic beings may choose to mimic the appearance or actions of other entities for a variety of reasons. Looking like a stereotypical demon and shooting fire does not preclude a more exotic true nature.

Finally, just because something came through a gate from a Qliphothic realm does not mean that it originated there. By that rule, the Champions are Qliphothic beings now too!

ed. for sp.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's also worth pointing out that, by definition, Qliphothic entities had some prior existence before becoming...what they are now. Why couldn't beings from the Netherworld be converted as easily as any others?

Looking at the problem from another perspective, Qliphothic beings may choose to mimic the appearance or actions of other entities for a variety of reasons. Looking like a stereotypical demon and shooting fire does not preclude a more exotic true nature.

Finally, just because something came through a gate from a Qliphothic realm does not mean that it originated there. By that rule, the Champions are Qliphothic beings now too!

ed. for sp.

No offense Needle, but, while a lot of this is sound logic, it kinda strikes me as... trying to justify events after the fact, rather than explain them.

While we've seen Qliphothic beings impersonate other things (IIRC), but it doesn't seem like there's a reason to. Similarly, while it's possible demonic entities could jaunt through Qliphoth on their way to Earth, coming out of Qliphothic rifts, why would they do such a thing? We know from Aftershocks that such a trip would warp anyone who went through there to some degree, so unless there's a compelling metaphysical reason they couldn't simply gate in from wherever they're from, why would they do this?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    No offense Needle, but, while a lot of this is sound logic, it kinda strikes me as... trying to justify events after the fact, rather than explain them.

While we've seen Qliphothic beings impersonate other things (IIRC), but it doesn't seem like there's a reason to. Similarly, while it's possible demonic entities could jaunt through Qliphoth on their way to Earth, coming out of Qliphothic rifts, why would they do such a thing? We know from Aftershocks that such a trip would warp anyone who went through there to some degree, so unless there's a compelling metaphysical reason they couldn't simply gate in from wherever they're from, why would they do this?

Perhaps daemons and other such entities are immune to the potential warping due to there nature.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This is a comic-book universe, where the laws of physics are routinely broken if that helps tell a good story, or just look cool. IMHO the explanations offered on this thread are sufficient to rationalize the in-game events; they may start to break down if you examine them too closely, but that's true of much from comic-books. ;)

Besides, this is an MMORPG. While many of us do enjoy more depth to our entertainment experience, mostly we're here to beat things up and take their stuff. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I see where you're coming from, and personally I would have written the stories a little bit differently. However, it IS an important trope of super-magic that appearances can be, and usually are, deceiving. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hi, I wanted to know if it's possible to have the crown of edom on, and have side guards, because the side guards aren't on the list for side accessories when I equip the crown of edom. Help please? :(
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Desson888 wrote:
    Hi, I wanted to know if it's possible to have the crown of edom on, and have side guards, because the side guards aren't on the list for side accessories when I equip the crown of edom. Help please? :(

Hi, Desson 888! Just to let you know, you're likely to get more and more helpful responses to your question if you post it to the "Champions Online Discussion" forum. This forum is for questions related to the Champions Pen-and-Paper role playing game, not the Champions Online MMORPG. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hi, Desson 888! Just to let you know, you're likely to get more and more helpful responses to your question if you post it to the "Champions Online Discussion" forum. This forum is for questions related to the Champions Pen-and-Paper role playing game, not the Champions Online MMORPG. :)

Ok, thanks. I've posted it there now. But do you have any idea how to?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    One thing to keep in mind is that while the Kings as implemented in Champions are fictional; the concept of Qliphoth is a real part of Jewish mysticism in the real world, an extension of the ideas connected with the Tree of Life.

Broadly speaking, something that is qliphothic has gone so far astray from its original purpose that it now actually opposes this original purpose. In this sense, a corrupt judge could be described as being qliphothic in a mundane sort of way.

Thus, the Kings of Edom can be seen as living personifications of self-negation and self-defeat. Their power may be vast in physical terms, but what benefit can be derived in the end from, say, knowledge that harms the user? Whether or not all evil is self-defeating, as some people say, remains a philosophical question. But the qliphothic certainly eats its own tail. The risk is only that, in destroying themselves again and again, the Kings also could bring down the Champions universe in the process.

I'm impressed that the Champions IP has managed to capture the essence of the concept in their treatment of the Kings.

Well said friend, that's exactly how The Kings of Edom should be described!