test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Destruga?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I've heard passing mentions of such a place. I've always assumed it that it is a fictional small Eastern European country ruled by Destroyer. Like Doom is to Latveria.

Based on that assumption, I had an awesome idea for a new zone. But, as I've learned, there is a certain hooded curmudgeon who knows more about the lore than me, and loves to make me look silly when he knows more about stuff than me :cool:.

Anyone here know more about this crazy place? If you are said hooded curmudgeon, please be gentle. I'm sensitive.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Aww, can't I be just a little curmudgeonly? :D

Dr. Destroyer wanted Destruga to be a country under his rule, but the international community didn't go for it. In 1991 the original Dr. D. revealed an artificial island he'd secretly built in the Pacific Ocean, and petitioned the United Nations to grant him statehood. When the nations of the world refused, Destroyer sent Destruga toward the western United States, apparently planning to invade it. (Yes, the island was mobile.) After a tremendous three-day battle between DD's forces and a major portion of America's navy and air force, bolstered by a small army of superheroes, which sank several capital ships and numerous aircraft, Destruga was finally sent to the deep bottom of the ocean, where it presumably remains to this day.

In 2006 the new Dr. Destroyer, aka Shadow Destroyer, revealed his own artificial island, christened "Destruga II," his base for an attempt to launch a satellite which would control the minds of everyone on Earth. A task force of American and Australian military, plus superheroes, ended that threat, and Destruga II also ended up beneath the waves. However, Shadow D continued to use it to house his amphibious Karkaradon shark-men followers.

So, as far as canon continuity goes, it sounds like your idea isn't going to fit. :( However, Dr. Destroyer still has an asset that might work for you. Since it's one of his most important secrets I'll put it in Spoiler tags for folks who don't want to know.
    In the Himalayas north of India is a hidden valley called Javangari, whose inhabitants have long been isolated from the outside world. They worshipped a unique, dark aspect of the god Shiva. When Dr. Destroyer discovered the valley in 1980 the Javangari believed him to be an avatar of Shiva, and gave him their worship and loyalty. Destroyer taught and mobilised the Javangari, until today their society is one of the most technologically advanced in the world. Since Dr. D's apparent death in 1992 they've faithfully awaited his return.

P.S. I'm genuinely sorry if I came across as too harsh in our previous exchanges. :o
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Aww, can't I be just a little curmudgeonly? :D

P.S. I'm genuinely sorry if I came across as too harsh in our previous exchanges. :o

As most here will attest...I think I'm the bigger a-hole in that whole little controversy...ah sorry...
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Does Desturga still have that resort on it (Sanctuary I think it was called? Digging through my books to try and find it.) ? Or was that retcon'd out, because that would be pretty interesting to see in CO.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    No resort on either Destruga or Destruga II -- as I mentioned above, they're both on the bottom of the ocean. However, the current official CU has its own similar private resort island catering to superheroes, Gran Cienelago Island. Unlike Sanctuary GCI's existence is secret from the wider world, known only within the superhero community; and it's patronized only by heroes -- no known villains allowed.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    No resort on either Destruga or Destruga II -- as I mentioned above, they're both on the bottom of the ocean. However, the current official CU has its own similar private resort island catering to superheroes, Gran Cienelago Island. Unlike Sanctuary GCI's existence is secret from the wider world, known only within the superhero community; and it's patronized only by heroes -- no known villains allowed.

Thanks for the speedy reply. And way back in 4E, Desturga did have a resort on it, I've been searching my books to make sure I was not imagining things. ((Classic Organizations, pages 14 through 59.)) Kind of a bummer it is not in the current CU. Would have been fun to see in CO.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the speedy reply. And way back in 4E, Desturga did have a resort on it, I've been searching my books to make sure I was not imagining things. ((Classic Organizations, pages 14 through 59.)) Kind of a bummer it is not in the current CU. Would have been fun to see in CO.

It wouldn't be much of a resort since both islands are at the bottom of the ocean.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm sure the Karkaradons are enjoying the amenities, though. ;)

Perhaps Gran Cienelago will appear as a role-playing venue in Champions Online one day.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    doesn't destroyer have some settlement or another in a valley in the Himylas?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm sure the Karkaradons are enjoying the amenities, though. ;)

Perhaps Gran Cienelago will appear as a role-playing venue in Champions Online one day.

That would be amazing, we could just push the trolls into the pool.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    doesn't destroyer have some settlement or another in a valley in the Himylas?

Highlight the Spoiler in Post #2. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Highlight the Spoiler in Post #2. ;)

ahh missed that.

truthfully I've always thought it a pity that there isn't really a "Latveria" to Doc Destroyer's Doctor Doom.

some sort of "model nation" DD can point to as "proof he's a superior ruler."
    I've got a Champs game starting soon, maybe I'll have DD be declared leader of Greece and have him solve their financial crisis or something, :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Every superhero universe should have a fictional country ruled by a superhuman dictator. The CU has Joseph Otanga of Lugendu, of course, but he doesn't even pretend to be a benevolent ruler of his country.

I rather wish Champions history had left Menton as president of Guamanga. I thought that situation had long-term potential, especially if he could have salvaged more of the ARGENT technology left behind from their own failed coup attempt.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Every superhero universe should have a fictional country ruled by a superhuman dictator. The CU has Joseph Otanga of Lugendu, of course, but he doesn't even pretend to be a benevolent ruler of his country.

I rather wish Champions history had left Menton as president of Guamanga. I thought that situation had long-term potential, especially if he could have salvaged more of the ARGENT technology left behind from their own failed coup attempt.

yeah, in some sourcebook for 5th ediytion, can't rememebr what one, but they suggested a plothook for doc destroyer being he gets INVITED to take over a third world crap hole and rule it, so long as he can improve things over all...
    I'm thinking of running with that.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    yeah, in some sourcebook for 5th ediytion, can't rememebr what one, but they suggested a plothook for doc destroyer being he gets INVITED to take over a third world crap hole and rule it, so long as he can improve things over all...
    I'm thinking of running with that.

I can picture how that conversation would play out.

President: You think you're so great Destroyer, don't you?
    Destroyer: Yup, I'm awesome.
    President: Oh yeah? See that country over there? That poor, broken down country with no food, money or infrastructure?
    Destroyer: That one? Yeah, i could totally make that like the best country.
    President: You know what, fine, be my guest. Fix that country.
    Destroyer: Okay, i will.
    President: Good.
    Destroyer: Good.
    President: ...Good.

One year later the entire country has become a Destroid factory, the world falls to the might of the Great Destroyer. Everybody (Read: Destroyer) lives happily ever after.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    You know the really sad part? Today "that country over there" could be the United States. And given some of the candidates I've seen running for the top job, Destroyer doesn't look quite so bad. :(
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    You know the really sad part? Today "that country over there" could be the United States. And given some of the candidates I've seen running for the top job, Destroyer doesn't look quite so bad. :(

Say what you will about Destroyer, he doesn't discriminate, he'll kill anyone who gets in his way regardless of skin colour, culture etc. Destroyer is a fair man.