test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whats the best option for info on The Drifter?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I'd like to read up some on him.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    The Drifter's full background and history are written up in Champions Universe: News Of The World. That's the only place you can find this information to date. The book is available in PDF from the Hero Games online store for $13.50 US:
    https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=222353

CU:NOTW contains a great deal of info besides the Drifter. It details the whole roster of the renowned hero team of which he is a founder and still part-time member, the Justice Squadron; another major superteam from the Champions Universe, the Sentinels; and a number of other official heroes and villains. It also updates the timeline of the setting five years from that of the original Champions Universe book published in 2002, describing many events that occurred over that period; and expands upon the background of various important people and places. Note, though, that this book was published before Cryptic Studios purchased the Champions IP, so it may not agree in every detail with the latest official continuity.
    edited August 2011
    I don't think it would hurt to give just a capsule summation of who and what the Drifter is. Hopefully this will help you decide if you want to invest in News Of The World for the full story (which IMHO is pretty intriguing).

Conceptually the Drifter has elements of the Phantom Stranger, the Specter, Deadman, and Dr. Fate. In the 1930s he was a young prosecutor who was framed by organized criminals. Ending up on the street, he was killed trying to stop a mugging. He "awoke" before a mysterious occult entity who offered to return him to Earth to "fight for what is right." He's one of the mightiest heroic sorcerors in the world, as well as a founding member of the renowned Justice Squadron superhero team. Today he often acts alone, but isn't above manipulating or press-ganging other heroes to help him.
    edited August 2011
    I would add a fair amount of nameless wanderer ala clint eastwood or the Gunslinger to him too.

The parts that have always interested me in him is the sort of cosmic wanderer that if push came to shove could put up one hell of a fight. Mostly I was interested in seeing his stat layout and get an idea of his scale of power against some of the heavy hitters of the champs universe.
    edited August 2011
    In that case, News Of The World includes his full Fifth Edition character sheet, totaling 1,147 Character Points. He's by far the most powerful member of the Justice Squadron.

That's as much of his published stats as I feel comfortable transcribing to an open forum. Sorry. :o
    edited August 2011
    Inertial wrote:
    I would add a fair amount of nameless wanderer ala clint eastwood or the Gunslinger to him too.

The parts that have always interested me in him is the sort of cosmic wanderer that if push came to shove could put up one hell of a fight. Mostly I was interested in seeing his stat layout and get an idea of his scale of power against some of the heavy hitters of the champs universe.

Since I'm uncertain from your references if it's clear, let me just underline that the Drifter is most definitely a hero, having put his life on the line to protect innocents and the world countless times. It's just that he's detached from the day-to-day lives of humanity, focussing on the big picture. He's enigmatic, pushy, and manipulative, doing whatever it takes to get the people he needs to get the job done. He's also frequently described as "spooky."
    edited August 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_with_No_Name

Im sure you seen at least one of the three Sergio Leone westerns with Clint Eastwood. While the writeup makes it clear hes a hero and driven by altruistic motives hes still a bit distant from the ordinary and more then a bit mysterious.

As for the gunslinger. It was a series of novels by Stephan King, It ended up taking him something like 20 years to finish them all but they are actually quite enjoyable. Its like some strange mish mash of sci fi, post apocalyptica and western. The proantaginist reminds me a great deal of the Drifter. A man wandering across the world due to save it, gifted with nebulous powers and a sense of gritty sense of justice.

This is to say nothing of my mind just imagineing the charecter automaticly played by clint eastwood for all these above reasons.