test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What year is it?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
All right, I know this isn't a PnP question, but I gathered since the lore buffs are here, you'd probably know the answer :)

The question is simple: What year is it in Champions Online? Is it 2009 (the year the game launched?), is it 2011 (current year in the real world), or is it some other year?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Linkypoos.

I don't know if it has been retconned or fiddled around with to fit the online Universe, for the longest time I thought Champs was set in an alternate Eighties.... but there you go.
    edited August 2011
    Linkypoos.

I don't know if it has been retconned or fiddled around with to fit the online Universe, for the longest time I thought Champs was set in an alternate Eighties.... but there you go.

Well, the Battle Of Detroit happened in 1992... So the Online Universe is probably after that.

I thought the Online Universe was parallell with the real life time-wise. Someone said something about the next election for mayor of Mil City being in 2012, but I don't know if that's relevant.
    edited August 2011
    Linkypoos.

Yeah, I've seen that timeline - and it's from 2005, four years before CO even launched, and two years before Cryptic bought the Champions IP.

So while it gives a general hint that CO mirrors the real world, it's not definitive.
    edited August 2011
    Yeah i know, I've been looking for a more up-to-date one and I haven't found one yet. I don't know if any of the newer sourcebooks would have anything updated on it
    edited August 2011
    It's 2011. The Champs Universe runs on the same tme scale as ours.
    edited August 2011
    Thundrax wrote:
    It's 2011. The Champs Universe runs on the same tme scale as ours.

^ This.

If you look a the new CU books, it outlines things that have happened since the laucnh of CO. The qularr invasion in 2009, Stronghold breakout, Blood Moon. Some where it mentions demonflame and SL>
    edited August 2011
    Great, makes things easy!
    edited August 2011
    Big thanks, Thundrax & Lohr :)
    edited August 2011
    Just to give official confirmation of what some posters have said...

It's 2011 in the published Champions Universe. Each book we publish refers to events up through the time of publication (or more accurately, the time of writing). Thus, Champions Beyond covers up to 2011 even though Champions Universe only goes through 2010. When we do The Martial World in 2012, it'll refer to events up through 2012. And so on.

In a few years we'll probably do an "update" to Champions Universe, much like we did with the 5E version (CU: News Of The World, we called it). That will give us an opportunity to discuss more broadly what's been happening in the setting over the past several years, profile new villains and heroes, resolve existing storylines (and start new ones), et cetera. :)
    edited August 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Just to give official confirmation of what some posters have said...

It's 2011 in the published Champions Universe.
    Wow, official confirmation :)
    Thanks Steve!
    edited August 2011
    Linkypoos.

BTW that timeline isn't for the current official Champions Universe, on which Champions Online is based. As the first post on that thread indicates, it's a fan custom creation which combines characters and events drawn from the current CU with others from its previous incarnation, liberally seasoned with yet others from two more settings published for PnP Champions. As such it's an unreliable guide to the background of Champions Online.

The equally-detailed timeline of the CU for CO can be found in the in-print source book called, appropriately enough, Champions Universe.
    edited August 2011
    Well being as how all magic, and thus all super powers and super technology, disappears for several hundred years in the year 2017 or so, I'd like to believe that this game isn't concurrent with our timeline.
    edited August 2011
    Loganius wrote:
    Well being as how all magic, and thus all super powers and super technology, disappears for several hundred years in the year 2017 or so, I'd like to believe that this game isn't concurrent with our timeline.

The magic going away bit is a 5th editionism, designed to accomodate other genre books for which Cryptic doesn't have the license. I thnk for CO purposes, it's safe to ignore it.
    edited August 2011
    2020, actually, so we have a few more years of grace. ;)

I assume if Cryptic Studios and Champions Online are still going as of that date (or at least the PnP IP is still being published), that inconvenient little detail will be ignored or retconned. Personally I predict Captain Chronos will have something to do with it. :)

Of course if the Mayas were right we'll all be dead next year anyway, so it'll be a moot point. :D