test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Villain Questions

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I was curious if anyone could help me find out a certain type of villain. Like which villains fit this profile.

The absolutely love to fight, like it's almost something they can't control. It doesn't matter who they fight as long as they go toe to toe with someone who is powerful, winning or losing doesn't matter just the fun the fight provides. The Villain is kind of like a walking disaster to any area he or she goes to. Not a noble warrior but follows a code that they refuse to attack people they deem as weak, but against the strong, they will attack repeatedly for enjoyment.

Are there any villains who fit this type of personality?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Well Grond partially fits that description. Cept he doesn't look for a fight they mostly come to him.

Another, but I doubt he has honor about it, would be Valak, the World-Ravager. I doubt he would stop to let kids and mothers walk by though. He's suppose to be incarcerated in hot sleep however.

Utility is a gadgeteering supervillain who seems to want to prove that he can outfox and beat super powered heroes.
    edited August 2011
    Well, there are certainly Champions Universe villains who love battle, have something of a code of honor, prefer seeking out "worthy" foes, and tend to cause a lot of collateral damage to the environment. The one hitch is "winning or loosing doesn't matter" -- there aren't a lot of villains who take losing very well. ;)

The one I can think of who fits those parameters best is probably Blackguard (Champions Villains vol. 3), a mutant with great strength and exceptional durability, and considerable brawling skill. Blackguard is muscle for hire, and loves a tough, challenging fight more than anything; but he's not bloodthirsty, and is generally a pretty easy-going, fun-loving guy who always keeps his word.

Another good match is Skarn the Shaper (CV vol. 1), a powerful magic being and dimensional conqueror. Skarn wields potent spells, but is also physically formidable, and loves to fight if he believes his foe to be worthy of him. The Shaper takes his code of honor very seriously, will never cheat or break his word, may agree to limit himself to just spells or physical attacks if his opponent is so limited, and respects foes who fight and win fairly (although he'll often demand a rematch at a future date).

If you eliminate the villain being okay with losing, the field becomes considerably larger. Blackstar of the villain team, the Ultimates (CV vol. 2), was physically weak and often bullied before he gained his powers of gravity and density control. Now he loves nothing better than to show other supers, especially strongmen, that he's the toughest guy around, and never retreats or gives up until his opponent or himself is downed, or his team mates can drag him away.

The alien gladiator Firewing, one of the mightiest villains on Earth, came to this planet specifically to find worthy foes to test himself against. The nature of his powers often leads to a lot of environmental damage from one of his battles. Firewing has a strong code of honor, but his desire for victory is just as strong and sometimes prompts him to use tactics he'd normally consider dishonorable in order to win.

Another mighty villain, Valak the World-Ravager, practically lives for battle, killing, and destruction, preferably in the most spectacular manner so his name will be spread far and wide. He has no code of honor, though, and although he seems to enjoy a challenge he's clearly happy with slaughtering the helpless. (Firewing and Valak are both in CV vol. 3.)

I'm sure I could come up with a few more with a little thought and research. ;)
    edited August 2011
    The closest would be Firewing, who is an ex-Malvan gladiators like Ironclad. He is after just powerful foes to prove himself better. He does have a code of honor and will ignore those who can't give him a good fight. He is also near the top of the food chain powerwise and is considered the most powerful energy projector on Earth.
    edited August 2011
    Silverspar wrote:
    Well Grond partially fits that description. Cept he doesn't look for a fight they mostly come to him.

Another, but I doubt he has honor about it, would be Valak, the World-Ravager. I doubt he would stop to let kids and mothers walk by though. He's suppose to be incarcerated in hot sleep however.

Utility is a gadgeteering supervillain who seems to want to prove that he can outfox and beat super powered heroes.

Valak escaped Stronghold in the 2009 mass breakout, recovered his armor and Cosmic Halberd, and is now out there somewhere. Scary thought.

Utility isn't really in this game for the fight. He wants to prove that normal people can beat superhumans through intelligent planning and preparation. If he can trap and defeat a superhuman without risk of injury to himself, so much the better.
    edited August 2011
    Silverspar wrote:

I really don't see how Grond fits the description at all. The guy is too dumb to have a code of honor. He is essentially a child in a huge beast of a body.
    edited August 2011
    Dardove wrote:
    The closest would be Firewing, who is an ex-Malvan gladiators like Ironclad. He is after just powerful foes to prove himself better. He does have a code of honor and will ignore those who can't give him a good fight. He is also near the top of the food chain powerwise and is considered the most powerful energy projector on Earth.

Definitely the first guy who came to my mind when I read sean_raiko's request
    edited August 2011
    Definitely the first guy who came to my mind when I read sean_raiko's request

Yeah, the only think that is iffy is that his desire to win sometimes win out over his code of honor. By his code of honor, he doesn't mind defeat (as seen by his quote in his description), but when backed into a corner and nearing defeat....
    edited August 2011
    Dardove wrote:
    I really don't see how Grond fits the description at all. The guy is too dumb to have a code of honor. He is essentially a child in a huge beast of a body.

I don't think Grond is dumb, of course he isn't a super genius either. Mostly just wants to be left alone. Hell, in game, if I don't attack Grond he will just walk up to me and we will have a staring contest. Only when I attack does he attack back :p
    edited August 2011
    Silverspar wrote:
    I don't think Grond is dumb, of course he isn't a super genius either. Mostly just wants to be left alone. Hell, in game, if I don't attack Grond he will just walk up to me and we will have a staring contest. Only when I attack does he attack back :p

No, Grond's PnP write-up (most recently in Champions Villains Vol. 3) defintely shows him to be intellectually challenged, both in his HERO System Intelligence stat, and in his background description, using such terms as "gullible," "lack of intelligence," and "tiny mind."
    edited August 2011
    My main is an Alien Soldier/warrior who doesn't mind losing or winning, if he can go toe to toe with someone who can bring him to his limits, he walks/limps away with a grin. He actually does not hold judgement towards most villains or deems them evil for the warrior types, rather, he'd like for them not to get in trouble so they can have repeated matches, in a way, he views them as having more in common with him than his own SG. He's even helped to reform a few villains by appealing to them as a fighter.

I really like how Blackguard sounds as well as Skarn and Blackstar!

You guys rock!. I will research everything I can about them. I can really see my main actually having a bit of a friendship with someone like Blackguard as well as having a deep sense of respect for Skarn!

As for Firewing, I think my guy would view fighting him as suicide, but would accept death for a chance to take on someone that powerful.

Valak the World Ravager, I think he'd be someone my guy would view with disgust.

Thank you very much. I have been trying to branch out and have my guy become more wellrounded as a hero and character rather than the "Alien warrior, strong opponent, must fight, honor..bla blah blah"

I've been wanting to find out more about the villains but just didn't know where to look.
    So Blackguard, Skarn, Blackstar would be neat villains for my guy to know. I really like how Skarn shows respect and limits himself to go against a person like that.
    edited August 2011
    sean, note that you can fight other Malvan gladiators without having to take on the likes of Firewing, if you're so inclined. Champions Beyond has details both on Malva (and its arena) and the Forum Malvanum arena on the Moon, along with a whole bunch of sample gladiator character sheets. A character who loves to fight for the pure honor/challenge of fighting could fit in very well in either place... and perhaps become rich and famous in the process. :)
    edited August 2011
    I will research those subject Steve, much appreciated.

As for arena challenges, not sure if that's my Main's cup of tea, he's not really in it for fame, glory, or money. I do have a few alts that would be at the arena 24/7 though and I can make a concept character around those parameters later on.

I really liked hearing about Blackguard and Skarn, are there anymore like that?
    edited August 2011
    If you intend to research Skarn, you'll definitely want to look at his son Torvost. Your character is more likely to encounter him before Skarn himself, and from your remarks I think he'll suit your purposes even better. Here's some of Torvost's description from Champions Villains Vol. 1:

"Skarn’s son Torvost inherited his father’s physical prowess, but not his magical skills. He’s developed his combat skills until in some ways he surpasses even Skarn. He often leads armies invading other dimensions: he’s no tactician, but in close combat he can out-fight most opposition.

Torvost’s two favorite things in life are a good fight and a good party. Not only is he the Congeries’s greatest warrior, his godlike constitution makes him the ultimate party animal. He’s mostly honest, absolutely fearless, and all in all a pretty decent chap. Admittedly, being a demigod gives Torvost a teeny little ego problem, but he rips people’s heads off only when they gravely insult him or circumstances make him look foolish."

Torvost's identifying quotation: “Hey, let’s fight! C’mon, it’ll be fun. Well, at least it’ll be fun for me
    edited August 2011
    This thread interested me, so I tried to google some of these villains, and Champions source material. Unfortunately, you don't tend to find much.

Anyone have a link to a Champions wiki or something?

Thanks,
    edited August 2011
    The thing is, all these characters are fully written up in books published by Hero Games for the Champions tabletop pen-and-paper RPG. Neither they, Cryptic Studios, nor fans of Champions, want to put so much info on the Internet for free that it would impact book sales. So what's out there is necessarily limited.
    edited August 2011
    A-V-D wrote:
    This thread interested me, so I tried to google some of these villains, and Champions source material. Unfortunately, you don't tend to find much.

Anyone have a link to a Champions wiki or something?

Thanks,

There's not really a wiki for these. Commericial products for the PnP RPG game, available through Hero Games or other PnP retail websites.
    edited August 2011
    HeroSteve wrote:
    sean, note that you can fight other Malvan gladiators without having to take on the likes of Firewing, if you're so inclined. Champions Beyond has details both on Malva (and its arena) and the Forum Malvanum arena on the Moon, along with a whole bunch of sample gladiator character sheets. A character who loves to fight for the pure honor/challenge of fighting could fit in very well in either place... and perhaps become rich and famous in the process. :)

That's how I wrote up my gladiator Serpent. He was Champions in the Malvan Arena after the time of Duratok and was knocked off the top when he lost against Ironclad, who then spared his life and completely changed Serpent's perspective on battle. He wants to fight and beat Ironclad, but he respects the hell out of him for managing to beat him and then on top of that spare his life, showing him one can fight with honour.

Serpent definately loves to fight and he's in it for just that reason, he also considers defeat an oppurtinity to learn, seeing no shame in it. Of course, most people who fight him just end up missing their spines or most of their blood. Basically, if Serpent deems you too weak to provide a challenge he will just outright kill you on the spot, though only if provoked of course.