test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about the upcoming hideouts

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I know this might be a silly question to some, but will each hideout have designated areas like bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchens? Or will this be specific to some? Or will we have none of those?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    None of the launch hideouts have such amenities. These were originally conceived of more like the Bat Cave, than Wayne Manor. Someplace functional, for you to do your supery stuff, with the understanding that your living quarters are probably elsewhere (attached, nearby) Thematically, I didn't think it was necessary (and we didn't have time) to add those things for the launch hideouts. Although, there is a cot in the Vigilante basement, and sleep/cryo pods in the moon base.

However, I'm working on a new hideout now (not for launch) that will have a bedroom (sort of), bathroom, and kitchen. But that's largely because it's more necessary for the theme.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the extremely fast response, Tumerboy. I'm hoping there will be a fancy apartment as a hideout at one point, but I get the reason for not including these things in the current batch.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Awww, poor Soviet... his eager expectation was up, and then it was dashed by Tumerboy.
    Now he's a bi-polar bear.

:(

...anyway, I thought all bears went in the woods?, what do you need a bathroom for Soviet?. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    None of the launch hideouts have such amenities. These were originally conceived of more like the Bat Cave, than Wayne Manor. Someplace functional, for you to do your supery stuff, with the understanding that your living quarters are probably elsewhere (attached, nearby) Thematically, I didn't think it was necessary (and we didn't have time) to add those things for the launch hideouts. Although, there is a cot in the Vigilante basement, and sleep/cryo pods in the moon base.

However, I'm working on a new hideout now (not for launch) that will have a bedroom (sort of), bathroom, and kitchen. But that's largely because it's more necessary for the theme.

Sounds like the much requested Penthouse.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

You know. If you added one of these 4 things (or all 4). I'm sure you'd become a legendary figure:
    1. A lava lamp.
    2. A huge mirror on the ceiling
    3. A Barry White-like record for ambient sounds . . . (BTW, cheesy elevator music in the Resistance entrance elevator would be dope.)
    4. A lot of red.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dardove wrote:
    Sounds like the much requested Penthouse.

Definately would use a Penthouse, I'm thinking a pad not unlike Stark's.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ...anyway, I thought all bears went in the woods?, what do you need a bathroom for Soviet?. ;)

The planet Soviet had bathrooms, thank you very much :P The toilets were red and the showers were yellow.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

Also, mixtures of concepts you'd normally think wouldn't work - sometimes work !..

Take for example Mom's Basement, you'd think a mixture of that with the them of 'Futuristic' wouldn't work aesthetically, stylistically... but check out the 2nd concept art piece down here - those windows onto what looks like a reactor or underwater with the light illuminating the room - fantastic!.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sekimen wrote:
    Thanks for the extremely fast response, Tumerboy. I'm hoping there will be a fancy apartment as a hideout at one point, but I get the reason for not including these things in the current batch.

And some of secretly hope and wait for a crappy apartment. Something more Punisher or Peter Parker-ish (after he moved out). I also admit, I'm a little crazy. :D
    Sekimen wrote:
    The planet Soviet had bathrooms, thank you very much :P The toilets were red and the showers were yellow.

BWAAAHAHAHAHA. Context, how I love leaving you behind~.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    OK, in the new SotG it says for August, " In addition to all that, we are also adding more hideout locations (1 of each category) for your heroes to call home ". What catagories are they meaning? Does it mean one more option each for the 4 that come out next week, OR is there a chance its 4, one of each NEW catagories? If it is the latter, what are these 4 new catagories? We have seen a preview of the awesome penthouse...what else by any chance wil be next?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    4 new hideouts, one of each category
    I.e. 1 Moon, 1 Basement, 1 Cave, and 1 Sanctum.

Penthouse is likely later on, since I just started the first version.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    that concept art of the penthouse......looks just like my mental image of one of my characters places......only with hardwood floors and black walls rather then white....GET OUT OF MY HEAD !
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They all look epic! Seriously! Good work Tumorboy!

I'd love to see something really foresty, like a Terrarium abode!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They look good, but I am waiting for more information on how we can customize these, if we can switch, if a player can have one of each if they wish to, and what type of cost is associated with adding or switching or whatever.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    After we finally get all our lair ideas on paper Tumerboy ends up doomed to make hideout maps forever. After months straight he finally snaps and creates the hideout "Taco Hut" before running off with Grond. Taco Hut becomes the most best selling item in the C-Store.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of hideouts, from what I understand all characters share the same hideout unless I buy more from the C-Store. That would be fine if I had one character, but I don't.

As a roleplayer, this is not good. My voodoo sorcerer will not be using the same hideout as my modern day vigilante, it makes no sense. The result is that I either buy them all, or come up with some ridiculous reason for all of them to live in the same kind of place.

I understand that it's too late to really change anything about this, but I would have much preferred to see each character have their own separate hideout, I know for a fact I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't know how the hideouts will be priced, but I doubt I'll be spending the money on all of them, I have a pretty good feeling I won't be able to judging from the prices of other C-Store items.

The fact that we get hideouts at all is great, I love it. But the fact that I need to pay for them all in order to have my roleplay make sense doesn't make me happy, I know full well I'm not entitled to any of this for free, the subscription fee is completely fair considering what I get for it, but I'm still voicing my opinion on this.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    From here:
    RoBoBo wrote:
    Each character can have a look or detail in the hideout that is saved for that character.
    The access to a hideout is account wide the saved options, and details are per character.

hope this helps.
    And from here...
    Tumerboy wrote:
    Both characters should have access to both hideouts, and each hideout should remember the settings for each character. But if one character only wants the basement, and one the cave. . . just don't send them to the one they wouldn't/don't want to use.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

Very cool to see that you'll be expanding the options with the first Hideouts as time goes on.

And if I may make a request for the Penthouse - can you make a version that doesn't look quite as expensive as the preview picture? I think it's a fantastic place to live in, but it's SO beyond the budget of my Heroes that there's no conceptable reason that they'd ever live in it.

Don't make me use the Schwartz on you for a little convincing. :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Very cool to see that you'll be expanding the options with the first Hideouts as time goes on.

And if I may make a request for the Penthouse - can you make a version that doesn't look quite as expensive as the preview picture? I think it's a fantastic place to live in, but it's SO beyond the budget of my Heroes that there's no conceptable reason that they'd ever live in it.

Don't make me use the Schwartz on you for a little convincing. :D

Is that another person on the 'Crappy Apartment' bandwagon?

Quick, buy this man a coffee and doughnut!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

Sneaky blighter! - you kept that quiet didn't you!. Theres me banging on about penthouses and linking to concept art for the last 2 weeks and you guys had been working on the idea all along!. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of hideouts, from what I understand all characters share the same hideout unless I buy more from the C-Store. That would be fine if I had one character, but I don't.

As a roleplayer, this is not good. My voodoo sorcerer will not be using the same hideout as my modern day vigilante, it makes no sense. The result is that I either buy them all, or come up with some ridiculous reason for all of them to live in the same kind of place.

I understand that it's too late to really change anything about this, but I would have much preferred to see each character have their own separate hideout, I know for a fact I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't know how the hideouts will be priced, but I doubt I'll be spending the money on all of them, I have a pretty good feeling I won't be able to judging from the prices of other C-Store items.

The fact that we get hideouts at all is great, I love it. But the fact that I need to pay for them all in order to have my roleplay make sense doesn't make me happy, I know full well I'm not entitled to any of this for free, the subscription fee is completely fair considering what I get for it, but I'm still voicing my opinion on this.

You don't gotta have them all. I see no problem paying for 1 or two hide outs. Heck the first 4 are rather generic and depending on how you kit them they can fit practially any character.

My toons:

Vivat Phoenix (Bird) -- It burns when he pees.
    Cassowary Jane (Bird)-- Aboriginal Goddess that knows Kung Fu
    The Taco (Chihuahua guy) -(El H
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    stjobe wrote:
    From here:

And from here...

Oh, I missed that.

Interesting.

So rather than me deciding to get "the cave" and decorating it up for everyone, each character would have to decorate it for themselves.

The "issue" there is that if I wanted two characters to share a hideout, I will have to buy everything twice.

I guess they have to balance between people that want a different hideout for every toon vs. people that just want one of each hideout.

For me, I would rather have one hideout of each type decorated universally for all of my characters, but for some people, they would rather each character have their own hideout, even if it was of the same type that another character of theirs had.

In the end, as long as there is an account safe that every character can access from every hideout, then everything else is a bonus, I suppose.

What are the chances of having an open house when these go on sale so that we can get to look at the basic floor plan before we actually commit to a purchase?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mithros wrote:
    What are the chances of having an open house when these go on sale so that we can get to look at the basic floor plan before we actually commit to a purchase?

Seconded! :D
    =-
    Also, I wonder if the Penthouse falls under an existing category, or if it'll be its own new category? Either way, that's AP/CP pre-allocated :p I have a posh heroine who wouldn't live anywhere but a high-rise.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

Ahh, but will they have AI butler control pads on the walls, the heads-up-display weather and surf condition reports projected onto your panoramic windows vista on waking in the morning, and more importantly what are you going to do about an inherant shocking lack of security in superheroic penthouses allowing one-eyed black men to break into your pad whilst you're out on-duty and help themselves to your best scotch.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

I'm assuming this is something that can't be answered, but still wanna try asking: will the penthouse be released with the vigilante safehouse and is "later on" something like a month or longer?

In any case, the hideouts looks awesome. Can't wait for next week :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    *snip*

As others have said, You only need to buy all of the hideouts once, per account. Each character will have access to all of the hideouts, and each hideout will remember the set up for THAT character (or such is my understanding at this time). i.e. Eugene Sparklepants lives in Mom's Basement, Shooty McTougherson, has the Vigilante Basement, and Spacey McMoonrock lives in the retro Sci Fi Moonbase.

Sneaky blighter! - you kept that quiet didn't you!. Theres me banging on about penthouses and linking to concept art for the last 2 weeks and you guys had been working on the idea all along!. :rolleyes:

HA HA! You have no idea how much I laugh sitting here, reading the forums, and the requests/demands for Penthouses, and tornado flights, and jet packs. I'm rolling, all day long.
    Mithros wrote:
    The "issue" there is that if I wanted two characters to share a hideout, I will have to buy everything twice.

No, if you get Industrial Cave for your free token, and later buy the Primal Cave, or whatever, All of your characters will have access to all of the options from both. But it will remember what set up each of your characters choose. But you only had to 'buy' the 2 Cave bases, once. If backstory dictates that they live in the same hideout, just dress each one's version of the hideout up the same.

Seconded! :D
    =-
    Also, I wonder if the Penthouse falls under an existing category, or if it'll be its own new category? Either way, that's AP/CP pre-allocated :p I have a posh heroine who wouldn't live anywhere but a high-rise.

Penthouse is a new category.
    Pffft. . . silly heroes think you can smash a penthouse into a cave?! NONSENSE SAYS THE TACO!

Sekimen wrote:
    I'm assuming this is something that can't be answered, but still wanna try asking: will the penthouse be released with the vigilante safehouse and is "later on" something like a month or longer?

Maybe I misunderstood, but Vigilante is a version of the Basement Hideout.
    I don't know the timeline on the Penthouse, as I don't even have the first one built yet.

Although I'm looking at it. . . right. . . now. . . :::peers at s****y penthouse.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What are the limitations and parameters for the tech in Hideouts. I think i've asked before about sliding panels revealing gun cabinets like in Watchmen, but to throw a couple more out there like Batman's marble-bust red-button - to fireman's slidey poles (60s series) or the Nolan's movie interpretation of plink-plonk-plink 3-keyed piano activates hidden bookcase cabinet.

Even if these are fully operational as featues, animations, functional doorways etc, is the tech limiting what can be done with hideouts at all?.... or indeed would you prefer to hold back that kinda thing for a SG base system at a later time waaay down the line?.

Also, are there any ambient audio sfx in the bases?, for example a penthouse like stark's you'd probably hear seagulls and waves crashing, maybe the odd electronic noise.

Thanks. :)

[edit]: How about the futuristic hideout opening up the option of having that heads-up display graphics holograms layered on the windows of the penthouse?.

[Double-Edit]: Nevermind, I think you've inadvertantly answered the last proposition here.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes, there is audio in each hideout. We just did a playtest with hideouts the other day, after Audio had gotten their mits on it.

I spent a good while in the Moonbase I had built, just wandering around and listening to the sounds it made. Makes it all so much more alive! I love it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The_Last wrote:
    You don't gotta have them all. I see no problem paying for 1 or two hide outs. Heck the first 4 are rather generic and depending on how you kit them they can fit practially any character.

My toons:

Vivat Phoenix (Bird) -- It burns when he pees.
    Cassowary Jane (Bird)-- Aboriginal Goddess that knows Kung Fu
    The Taco (Chihuahua guy) -(El H
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    Yes, there is audio in each hideout. We just did a playtest with hideouts the other day, after Audio had gotten their mits on it.

I spent a good while in the Moonbase I had built, just wandering around and listening to the sounds it made. Makes it all so much more alive! I love it.

Awesome sauce™ !, good to hear !.

Yes audio departments are cool, its amazing how much the right audio adds to visual work. The audio dept shouldn't be so shy, come say "hi!" and maybe do a short dev-feature like concept art do/did (even if its a one-off).
    Do they do facinating things like cleaving melons with big blades or stomping in trays of gravel trying to get the right sfx for a sound?, or is it not old skool anymore and done through sfx libraries?. :o

Did you know Star Trek's photon torpedoes are done through pinging a suspended slinky™? - you've seen the Star Trek XI blu-ray audio extras with Ben Burtt right?, or how he came up with the lightsaber noise previously by accidentally dropping a microphone down behind an amplifier.

Audio rawks! - unsung heroes all of em' - you can tell em' I said so.

\m/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    Maybe I misunderstood, but Vigilante is a version of the Basement Hideout.

Ahhhh... ok, I get how it works now.
    Tumerboy wrote:
    I don't know the timeline on the Penthouse, as I don't even have the first one built yet.

Although I'm looking at it. . . right. . . now. . . :::peers at s****y penthouse.

I want eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet D:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

...You are an evil man, playing horrible games with my fragile emotions.

And I couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    Penthouse is a new category.
    Pffft. . . silly heroes think you can smash a penthouse into a cave?! NONSENSE SAYS THE TACO!

That's what I was thinking too. There's a huuuuuuge difference between, say, Penthouse and Mom's Basement. Of course now you're going to be flooded with requests for new categories... ^_~

Dibs on the surf shack!

/me hides
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is that another person on the 'Crappy Apartment' bandwagon?

Quick, buy this man a coffee and doughnut!

There's a difference between a million dollar mansion (which the preview looks like) and say, a quarter that. The quarter is what I'm aiming for.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's nice and all....but uh...
    *slips Tumerboy a 20*
    I'd like it if...you throw in a castle...down the road...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's a difference between a million dollar mansion (which the preview looks like) and say, a quarter that. The quarter is what I'm aiming for.

I have varied enough definitions of 'crappy' that there's a good chance that would still qualify. Depends entirely on the amount of shenanigans you can do with the environment. :3