test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

World war 2 alternate history

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Because of how inactive most RP SGs are during European times (for people with early jobs/lives anyway :o), I've been toying with the idea of starting my own EU specific RP SG with a good old silver age of comics theme.
(If this is the last time you ever hear me talk about it, good chances are I'll have gotten distracted by something shiny and wandered off).

The only problem is, I've been thinking up a backstory and for tradition's sake WW2 is a rather big part of it. I have never picked up a Champions book in my life, mostly because no shop that sells PnP stuff that I know sells it (.PDFs are an obvious solution of course). Literally all my knowledge of the setting comes from this here game. I feel like I'd be doing the setting injustice if I didn't take the official backstory into consideration, so I was wondering if there's a book or website or something that outlines the major differences between how WW2 unfolded in the Champions universe compared to ours? While I could easily tip-toe around a lot of minor events, I can't help but shake the feeling that with super heroes and villains, WW2 went quite a bit differently.

Thanks in advance, you beautiful grognards ;)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Well, World War 2 was actually when true superhumans (created by vats of acid and such) were created. However, during that time, the Axis had some superhumans of their own and had set up a magical ward to neutralize the powers of foreign superhumans within their territories; meaning that only natural heroes (like say Black Mask or Indiana Jones) were capable of operating there.

If you want more details about this era and the full history of the Champions Universe, as well as a lot of useful information regarding the Champions setting; I suggest that you look up the Champions Universe 6th Edition book/PDF on the HERO Games website.

Alternatively, here's a post about an upcoming book that HeroSteve told us about, when asked about a particular supervillain from this era :

http://forums.champions-online.com/showpost.php?p=1722582&postcount=6
    edited February 2011
    Pick up a copy of Golden Age Champions. It's a great read and will give you an insight to the Champions Universe during WW2.

Here's a link to the original
    edited February 2011
    I can definitely work with this, thanks a lot for the suggestions guys!
    edited February 2011
    Something semi-related: If you enjoy superheroes in alternative WWII scenarios, watch the Justice League Episode "The Savage Time"
    edited February 2011
    Pick up a copy of Golden Age Champions. It's a great read and will give you an insight to the Champions Universe during WW2.

Just to be clear, picking up the older versions of GAC -- the ones written by Chris Cloutier and published in the Eighties and Nineties -- will not give you any insight at all on the Champions Universe in WW2. They're excellent books, but none of those characters have been carried forward into the current iteration of the Champions Universe.

We do plan to publish a new Golden Age Champions, which will cover the CU WW2 in thorough detail. It's a labor of love for Hero president Darren Watts, who's run many a GA campaign (in fact our company name, DOJ, comes from the initials of the main Player Character team in his GA games). However, since Darren has his hands full handling the day-to-day running of the company, GAC isn't on our publication schedule yet. Darren works on it whenever he has time, and when he tells me, "Huzzah, I'm finished!", then and only then will we put it on the schedule. Otherwise it's simply too much stress for him, and he's got enough pressure in his life dealing with all the other "fun" stuff that comes from running a small publishing company.

Last I checked he'd already written over 100,000 words. The good news about this is that he's definitely making progress. The bad news is that despite that GAC is nowhere near being finished. ;) It's a huge subject, after all. The book has to cover the GA as a subgenre, provide a reasonable amount of real-world information about the war period, detail both the real and CU histories of the war (at least in timeline form), and provide a slew of GA villains for your PCs to fight. So it's coming, have no fear... it's just on a slow train. ;)
    edited February 2011
    DarkWolf2 wrote:
    Something semi-related: If you enjoy superheroes in alternative WWII scenarios, watch the Justice League Episode "The Savage Time"

Fantastic episode.
    edited February 2011
    You are correct HeroSteve. I should choose my words more correctly. However in my defense, in my own pnp sessions, my own imagination ran away with the scenarios I would create, and over time those became steadfast as cannon (technically they are in my "world").

That is the true nature of a pnp game, you are free to change what is written for what you need.

I just tend to get carried away........sorry about that.