test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Now Available: CHAMPIONS For 6th Edition

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2011 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Hey folx! We just wanted to let you know that the new edition of CHAMPIONS is now available! It debuted last weekend at DunDraCon, and can be purchased from the Hero Games Online Store right now. If you prefer to support your local game retailer, shipments are currently en route to distributors, who will in turn send it on to stores. ;)

Here's the link to our Online Store in case you want to take a look:

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=245554

Champions is a full-color, hardcover book and retails for $44.99 US.

Champions is what we call a "genre book," meaning that it discusses and describes a particular genre (in this case, Superheroes!) for HERO System gaming. It doesn't include the full game rules, nor does it provide significant amounts of information about the Champions Universe specifically. If you want the rules, you can find those in the Sixth Edition core rulebooks (a two-book set) or the 140-page Basic Rulebook, both of which are currently available in the Hero Games Online Stores and from other game retailers.

If you want in-depth information about the Champions Universe setting and characters, the books you're looking for are Champions Universe (which I am currently writing) and our three-volume Champions Villains series (which will be written this spring and published this summer).
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies ~Stormshade
    edited April 2010
    Awww a shame not all the rules are in one book or I'd probably have ordered it.
    But i simply do not like multibooking that much.
    edited April 2010

Welcone to the current state of Penicil and Paper RPGing. I can't think of one major gaming system that doesn't span multiple books these days (and non advocating either for or against it, just stating how things are these days).
    edited April 2010
    wrote:
    The 6E HERO System rules are what? Some 1,000 pages between the two needed books. Champions is probably around 300 pages - don't have it yet so don't know. Do you really want to buy a 1,300 page RPG book? :)
    edited April 2010
    By the sound of it... I don't want to buy it period. LOL.
    Way too many rules. Sounds too clunky for my taste. But to each his own.
    I may take a look at Mutants and Masterminds though.

And yeah a lot of rpgs no longer have a single core rulebook. Though some still do. The Star Wars one, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings,...
    edited April 2010
    5th version i have is only one book was annoying enough with all extra errata.
    edited April 2010
    Cosmic_One wrote:
    The 6E HERO System rules are what? Some 1,000 pages between the two needed books. Champions is probably around 300 pages - don't have it yet so don't know. Do you really want to buy a 1,300 page RPG book? :)

Actually yes, I'm going to buy all six books and the champions book.
    I want to teach my kids champions as it will really boost their math skills, help with logic and reading too :cool:
    edited April 2010
    wrote:
    I want to teach my kids champions as it will really boost their math skills, help with logic and reading too :cool:
    My point wasn't whether or not someone should buy it. I was simply addressing the idea that trying to get it all in 1 book would mean you are buying a HUGE book: a book too large to really be a functional game book. .
    edited October 2010
    Reactor wrote:

My math grade jumped a whole letter in HS when I started playing Champions. D&D also played a part though (How much does an iron stake weigh?).

I'm not saying anything for or against the current trend of RPGs to multi-book because as before some are good and some are not. Let the buyer beware...
    edited October 2010
    I had more than a few gamer friends in high school whose grades in history and English went up when D&D got them more interested in medieval history, various types of literature, and so on. And there are definitely some math-related benefits to many RPGs, too. ;)
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't even call Champions that hard when it comes to RPG math. It clicks together and makes sense, with the only need for a calculator being cosmic level character power cost calculations.

The 6th edition is also one of those games where the mandatory reading isn't the 1000+ pages, but rather the closer to normal size pages detailing the mechanics of the system. Unless you're a GM, then you need to read more on the powers, skills and whatnot.

I for one enjoyed the highly detailed structure of Champions, since I picked it up after a long experience with the relatively obscure stone-based Marvel Universe RPG. For one thing, Champions allows a lot more varied intra-party "power levels" (Justice League style variation can be done, I have personal experience) and the variety of options you have just for close combat. And of course, the superb way the game solves the problem of having two nigh-indestructible god-like beings punch each other in the face for a long time.