test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do any of the PnP creators play CO?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
This may have already been asked, but do any of the pen and paper creators of the Champions universe play the online version for fun? If so, what kind of characters do you make?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I know of several.

Scott Bennie, creator of Viperia and a lot of other characters in the Viper Organization, and writer of a number of excellent RPG products, plays his character Thundrax from his old Pen & Paper Campaigns in Champions Online now. Said character is a classic Flying Brick with a magical unexplained origin and some lightning generation extra abilities.

Steve Long and a number of Hero Games Forumites created a super group for all Hero Games fans to congregate in, not sure who his characters are, nor his level of playtime now. I assume he still logs in and plays occasionally, he certainly keeps up here in this forum!

Scott Heine plays Champions Online when he has spare time as well, he wrote a number of classic Champions adventures, including the excellent "To Serve and Protect", featuring The Protectors, and I have seen him on his old character Quasar [Written up in that adventure] in Champions Online as well. Quasar is a winged, flying alien energy blaster with better than human characteristics, making him a decent mini-brick as well, and his background in that version of Champions lore was tied to Ariax Thone [Firewing] as a Gladiator, and if transplanted into current lore he'd likely be an old friend of Ironclads.

Any others I'm not to sure of, although Douglas Shuler is a big player in "That Rival MMO", as Grond says. He wrote a number of fine products as well, my favorite of his was The Zodiac Conspiracy. I'd always hoped he'd come spend a little more time here with us, but I suspect his existing SG community in "Rival MMO" keep him happy there, a strong community is a powerful thing.
    edited June 2010
    Steve occasionally plays the Harbinger of Justice; these days he's on very rarely, which is not surprising given his workload. A lot of the other creators like Geoge, Steve, Bruce, Chris Avellone, are working or have worked in the computer game industry, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have tried out CO.
    edited June 2010
    I haven't seen Steve online for a while -- too busy cranking out books for Hero Games, I'd imagine (that guy writes material faster than anyone I know... and it's good!). I dabble around with a few alts from time to time, and will pop in as "Quasar" occasionally. But I'm typically on as "Lightning Bug" -- I think I've become addicted to the fun chaos of Gigabolt and Spark Storm in a group (hey, invite me along for a lair sometime; I'm always up for grouping!).

And if you ever need help taking down any of the PSI missions, well, I have a special place in my heart for those guys. Now if only we can talk Cryptic into making a mission with the PSI villains acting as a group...
    edited June 2010
    Sc00teR wrote:
    And if you ever need help taking down any of the PSI missions, well, I have a special place in my heart for those guys. Now if only we can talk Cryptic into making a mission with the PSI villains acting as a group...

/Signed
    My character, made from my PnP days, reluctantly owes her existence to that group. Cryptic should focus on an adventure pack dedicated to them!
    edited June 2010
    Sc00teR wrote:
    I haven't seen Steve online for a while -- too busy cranking out books for Hero Games, I'd imagine (that guy writes material faster than anyone I know... and it's good!). I dabble around with a few alts from time to time, and will pop in as "Quasar" occasionally. But I'm typically on as "Lightning Bug" -- I think I've become addicted to the fun chaos of Gigabolt and Spark Storm in a group (hey, invite me along for a lair sometime; I'm always up for grouping!).

Think I've teamed with you a few times.
    edited August 2010
    As a couple of you have pointed out, I do play, though work and other real-life nonsense has kept me from logging in much for awhile now (spring-summer are the busy times of the year here at Hero). My main is Harbinger (level 40), though I have a variety of other characters mostly in the 6-20 level range. I bounce around a bit trying out new costume concepts, power sets and combinations, etc. ;)
    edited August 2010
    Don't suppose we could get a pic of Harbinger? I think we've got a few of Quasar and Thundrax is very prominent.

I'm especially curious if you were able to do something with that mask of his - with the crescent blue moon over one eye?
    edited August 2010
    I will see about logging in and getting a screenshot. Couldn't get the moon over the eye, though -- just had to settle for a plain black mask.
    edited August 2010
    Here's what I have in my screen grabs. It's not a good image -- which is somehow *very* appropriate. :)

Attachment not found.
    edited September 2010
    Thundrax wrote:
    Here's what I have in my screen grabs. It's not a good image -- which is somehow *very* appropriate. :)

Attachment not found.

I'm so embarrassed to say I tried to make a Harbinger of Justice myself, based just on my memories of the Dark Champions book cover. He is the very embodiment of the Munitions Power Set, after all...

But then I said to myself "Nah, the Harbinger was supposed to be more like a force of nature. I'd never live up to that."

Good thing. Imagine if I ran into Steve Long's version while playing mine. Especially if I didn't know it was him. Ohhhhh the humiliation. :D
    edited October 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    As a couple of you have pointed out, I do play, though work and other real-life nonsense has kept me from logging in much for awhile now (spring-summer are the busy times of the year here at Hero). My main is Harbinger (level 40), though I have a variety of other characters mostly in the 6-20 level range. I bounce around a bit trying out new costume concepts, power sets and combinations, etc. ;)

Ok...sorry Steve but I GOTTA ask...how many character slots do YOU have? As the backbone of Hero Games for so long did cryptic spot you a lifetime sub and like 20 character slots or something? You create characters (good ones I might add) so quickly I can't see you being restricted to the base 8.

Sorry...Hero geek from WAY back.
    edited October 2010
    I think I have the maximum amount of slots available, though I don't have that many characters. I end up creating and deleting a lot just to play around with the costume creator or power sets I haven't tried yet. ;)
    edited October 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    I think I have the maximum amount of slots available, though I don't have that many characters. I end up creating and deleting a lot just to play around with the costume creator or power sets I haven't tried yet. ;)

What's the max available? I'm up to 52 or 54 slots and it hasn't stopped me yet lol
    edited October 2010
    RogueKorr wrote:
    What's the max available? I'm up to 52 or 54 slots and it hasn't stopped me yet lol

Could you take your chest plate off when you speak? I can't understand you through that wall of steel over your mouth. :D

You are a lifer so I think you and I have unlimited slots.

Also Steve, I love the PnP game. I believe my first experience with he hero system was with some Blizzard Employees (won't name them).

We had bad heroes that we roleplayed.

Like "The Right Side" a man that was super powerful as long as it had to do with anything on his right side. Tho anything on his left side he was weak and harmless against.

Capt. Encouragement, "Swim faster Timmy the sharks are coming your way....don't give me excuses ignore the pain...just swim...you can do it!" He shouts from the shoreline.

and others that are too inappropriate for public forums.

I remember walking into my store when 6th edition released and seeing the huge amount of material in the books. Your name was on the cover...so being the dumb kid I was...I asked did one man really do all of this? The store owner laughed and said "yep".

I couldn't tell and still can't tell if he jokes. I don't have a group to roleplay with anymore so I don't have 6th...yet.
    edited October 2010
    darkkami wrote:
    Could you take your chest plate off when you speak? I can't understand you through that wall of steel over your mouth. :D[/COLOR]

mmmph hmmmhmmmhmhh..rhmmmherr hm hmmm
    edited October 2010
    Like "The Right Side" a man that was super powerful as long as it had to do with anything on his right side. Tho anything on his left side he was weak and harmless against.

Sounds like a goofy old character of mine who had B-Ray Vision -- he could see through anything beginning with the letter "B." ;)
    edited October 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Sounds like a goofy old character of mine who had B-Ray Vision -- he could see through anything beginning with the letter "B." ;)

Blouse, bra, bustier...
    edited October 2010
    RogueKorr wrote:
    Blouse, bra, bustier...

Boobies! :eek: :confused::(
    edited October 2010
    That could be a problem, if you see right through them.