test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Editions are suggested?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Hi everyone!

Well, I've been more and more interested in playing Champions the PnP system since I've been playing the online game. This is probably the only case thus far where the game actually tempts me to look into PnP rather than the other way around, but. .

Apparently there are a lot of source books out there, and multiple books may be necessary knowing how some PnP games go. So, from the perspective of an experienced Champions PnP player, which rulebooks are good to have? Is there a particular edition that stands out from the others, has more versatility, etc?

I'd like to play in a world that allows for every 'concept' similar to what the Online game has, though I know the PnP game gives a lot more control over what kind of powers people can have since it's based on imagination rather than restricted by variables/balances.

Thank you all for the help. :)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Danimos wrote:
    Hi everyone!

Well, I've been more and more interested in playing Champions the PnP system since I've been playing the online game. This is probably the only case thus far where the game actually tempts me to look into PnP rather than the other way around, but. .

Apparently there are a lot of source books out there, and multiple books may be necessary knowing how some PnP games go. So, from the perspective of an experienced Champions PnP player, which rulebooks are good to have? Is there a particular edition that stands out from the others, has more versatility, etc?

I'd like to play in a world that allows for every 'concept' similar to what the Online game has, though I know the PnP game gives a lot more control over what kind of powers people can have since it's based on imagination rather than restricted by variables/balances.

Thank you all for the help. :)

You know, we need an essential reading guide stickied in this forum...and a PnP Bookstore on the main site :P
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Be glad to break it all down for you. ;)

The current edition of the HERO System rules -- the rules used to play Champions PnP, in other words -- is the Sixth Edition. It's been out for a year now, so you will still find people playing with the 5th Edition rules even though we no longer print or sell them. But if you want to stay current the 6E rules are what you want.

The 6E rules come in two formats. The main rulebook is a two-volume set, one covering character creation and one combat and adventuring. Each book is a full-color hardcover and retails for $40, but Hero Games (and many retailers) sell them as a set for only $70. The other possibility is The HERO System Basic Rulebook, a 140-page softcover black-and-white book that boils the main rulebook down to just the essentials for easy learning. It's only $20 and a good place to start if you've never played with the HERO System rules before.

Now, with either the main or Basic rulebook, you're set to go. You can game for the rest of your life without ever having to buy another book, if that's what you want to do (though we hope it isn't, since we like to sell books ;) ). As long as you want to create everything yourself, the rules are all you need.

If you'd like a little help and source material, then it's time to look at our Champions line of superheroic roleplaying books! Right now there are several books in the line, with more in the works:

Champions: Champions itself is what we call a "genre book" -- it analyzes a genre (in this case, Superheroes) for gaming, showing what its elements, themes, and "bits" are, how to create characters and campaigns for that genre using the HERO System rules, and so forth. It's got some example characters, gadgets, villains, and minions to get you started. It's also got a great "Superhero Gallery" that lets you quickly create a superhero (or villain) in mere minutes by picking pre-built packages of abilities from themed lists.

Champions Powers: Champions Powers contains thousands of superpowers written up in HERO System terms -- we do the work so you don't have to! The powers are organized into nearly 50 categories by type or "special effect": Fire/Heat, Vibration; Strength And Toughness; Speedster; Teleportation; Air/Wind; Animal; and many more. This is a great book if you're new to the HERO System and want to see how we here at the company do things... even if you decide after you learn more that you prefer to do them some other way. ;) CP is a softcover black-and-white book that retails for $38.

Champions Universe: "CU" describes the official setting for Champions -- the one Champions Online is based on, into which all our villains fit, and so forth. It's a full-color, hardcover book that costs $40. If learning about the setting, the lore, etc. is one of your interests, this is the book you want to get.

Currently I am working on the next books for Champions, Champions Villains -- a trilogy of full-color books detailing over 300 supervillains for your campaigns! You'll see plenty of old favorites you've come to know and love from Champions Online (like Talisman, Foxbat, Tachyon, Takofanes the Archlich, Dr. Destroyer, and Grond), plus many more you haven't seen in the MMO... yet. ;)

Now, in addition to those books, there are over three dozen Champions supplements we produced for the Fifth Edition rules. Some of them have already been replaced by newer, better 6E supplements, but many haven't been yet, or never will be. The information in them is generally still 100% accurate (perhaps with a few tweaks to account for Champions Online), but the character sheets and other rules-related bits would need to be updated to 6E.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Your post has been extremely helpful HeroSteve. Thank you :) I'll certainly consider buying a few of the mentioned books when I can afford it in the near future!

I like flexibility in roleplaying systems, and it seems like this one would give a lot more compared to other systems since it's much easier to fit it to a certain genre of character or setting, rather than some which lock you into a particular time frame, setting, or rating/type of power (A magic missile will always be a magic missile no matter who's casting one).

The tricky part will be finding friends interested in trying a game with me, as it seems many of them don't have the time for PnP like they used to!

Thanks again. I'll be nosing around to see if any other publications are released in the future.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like flexibility in roleplaying systems, and it seems like this one would give a lot more compared to other systems since it's much easier to fit it to a certain genre of character or setting, rather than some which lock you into a particular time frame, setting, or rating/type of power (A magic missile will always be a magic missile no matter who's casting one).

Yup, that's pretty much the main point (no pun intended!) of the HERO System -- to free up your creativity and imagination to create whatever type of character, power, spell, etc. that you want. If you want to see how we do it we'll be glad to show you, but ultimately how you want to create something is up to you. ;)

The tricky part will be finding friends interested in trying a game with me, as it seems many of them don't have the time for PnP like they used to!

Believe me, I feel your pain. This being a responsible adult thing has its drawbacks. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've tried looking around the area at places to find some of the books, but I'm not sure where exactly sells them.

Do you know off-hand which places (likely larger, nation-wide chains) would carry them, or is buying them online from the website or whatever the only way to acquire them?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DozenMarks wrote:
    I've tried looking around the area at places to find some of the books, but I'm not sure where exactly sells them.

Do you know off-hand which places (likely larger, nation-wide chains) would carry them, or is buying them online from the website or whatever the only way to acquire them?

I have been looking myself and none of the Comic Book/Gaming stores carry them, so I will be buying mine online.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

We don't sell our books into chain stores or the like; they have return policies which are unacceptable to us. They're typically carried by better gaming stores (though sadly there aren't as many gaming stores around as there used to be). We definitely sell them in our Online Store (and other online retailers sell them as well), but that's not the only place to get 'em.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I feel kind of bad about that... I live in NYC, where several Friendly Local Gaming Stores still manage to survive (including the last Compleat Strategist of what used to be a chain). However, several years ago I realized that my PnP library was far too large and unwieldy, especially when I had to commute to games. I purchased a tablet PC (long before those laughable iPads came into vogue) and now never purchase a hardcopy of anything I can get a PDF of instead. This is especially true of the 6th Ed Hero Games books, most of which are huge and heavy in hardcopy. Unfortunately, I feel like I've betrayed my friends at the FLGS, who have been good to me over the years; but its hard to beat carrying around what would be over 100 pounds of books in a 6 pound tablet smaller than any single hardcopy volume would be.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I understand why you guys have it set up this way since you're selling a game system not necessarily tied to a setting but I sure wish there was some sort of Champions box set to get me started haha. Looks like it'll be a pretty investment to pick up the big rule set + the lore books I'll want to get going.

Well maybe I'll pick up the basic rules and fudge everything at first.

Thank you for the informative post though