test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About the Gadroon...

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I've got a good number of the Champions source books, including the new Champions Universe book. Sadly however, I can't seem to find a good amount of info on the Gadroon beyond the basics mentioned in said book. I'm looking for anything that goes into their history (how/why they destroyed their homeworld for instance), culture, and perhaps some information on the Gadroon themselves. Is there a source book out there that might have this kind of info?

As someone who plays a Gadroon rebel-turned-superhero, this kind of information would be particularly useful to me.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2010
    I do know that there's a new book coming out next month all about the moon (WOO!!!!) and space aliens, so the gadroon should have some prominence :)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MGoblin256 wrote:
    I've got a good number of the Champions source books, including the new Champions Universe book. Sadly however, I can't seem to find a good amount of info on the Gadroon beyond the basics mentioned in said book. I'm looking for anything that goes into their history (how/why they destroyed their homeworld for instance), culture, and perhaps some information on the Gadroon themselves. Is there a source book out there that might have this kind of info?

As someone who plays a Gadroon rebel-turned-superhero, this kind of information would be particularly useful to me.

i could have sworn there was more on them. But maybe I am thinking about the Qularr, like they don't use biological weapons on each other.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Unfortunately, what you've got is pretty much what we have... for now. When I originally created the Gadroon back in 2002, they were merely a throw-away historical detail for the Champions Universe, and an example of what happens to alien species stupid enough to mess with Earth. ;)

But I guess somehow that little throw-away mention caught Cryptic's eye. ;) Now that they've been transformed from a nothing into a serious threat to Earth, they definitely deserve more coverage. And they'll be getting it in a few months in Champions Beyond, a book I'm scheduled to write toward the end of 2010. There'll either be a whole chapter, or a significant part of a chapter, devoted to the Gadroon. It'll cover their history, culture, technology, members your heroes might encounter, and so on -- all the high points. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    Unfortunately, what you've got is pretty much what we have... for now. When I originally created the Gadroon back in 2002, they were merely a throw-away historical detail for the Champions Universe, and an example of what happens to alien species stupid enough to mess with Earth. ;)

But I guess somehow that little throw-away mention caught Cryptic's eye. ;) Now that they've been transformed from a nothing into a serious threat to Earth, they definitely deserve more coverage. And they'll be getting it in a few months in Champions Beyond, a book I'm scheduled to write toward the end of 2010. There'll either be a whole chapter, or a significant part of a chapter, devoted to the Gadroon. It'll cover their history, culture, technology, members your heroes might encounter, and so on -- all the high points. ;)

Yay! Thanks for the response :D

Is there an ETA for CB?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I kind of like what Cryptic has done with the Gadroon. It looks like the Gadroon have, for the most part, come under the control of Istvatha V'han, the Empress of a Billion Dimensions from the PnP lore. Having failed to establish Earth as her beachhead for invasion of our universe on several occasions, it appears she has changed tack and had better success with the Gadroon, though some Gadroon resist her rule.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is there an ETA for CB?

I expect to start writing it probably in the November-December timeframe and for it to be out early next year. That's the current thinking, anyway; we adapt the schedule as the weeks and months pass to account for whatever's happening. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    HeroSteve wrote:
    I expect to start writing it probably in the November-December timeframe and for it to be out early next year. That's the current thinking, anyway; we adapt the schedule as the weeks and months pass to account for whatever's happening. ;)

Awesome. Looking forward to it :)

In the mean time, I've got a few little things that might be good to consider while writing about the Gadroon:
      Cryptic's Gadroon seem to have a bit of a
    Sontaran complex: Bits of their random dialogue imply that they love to fight and live for battle, and they seem to place some importance on personal honor. Their physiology seems to support this cultural mindset (see next bit below)
      A lot of the Gadroon-based items that can be made by Alien Metabolism crafters imply that they are both genetically altered and/or naturally evolved to be far more fearsome opponents in combat .
      The general physique of Cryptic's Gadroon (Short, muscular, heavy upper body) implies that Gadroon (or whatever their homeworld was called) was a high-gravity planet. It's a rather common trope in Sci-Fi that species that evolved in high-gravity conditions generally have a far bulkier physique that can cope with the increased gravity (The above mentioned Sontarans also feature this trait), and as such can be far stronger and (potentially) more nimble on a lower gravity planet (much like how humans can be on the moon).