test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kigatilik backstory?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Hi,
I was just wondering if there was any history for Kigatilik avaialable, other than the brief lore pieces in game. Either something that was worked out for the game, or in a sourcebook somewhere.
What I'm confused about is the fact the he was supposedly beaten and imprisoned 'for decades' by another group of superheroes.
Are we talking golden-age type heroes here, or (as I'm thinking) more of a mystical anti-Kigatilik task force?
His background on the CO wiki says
"Those once called shaman by the tribes of the north. Now, some still claim that title, but ever more are called hero. Or superhero.
It was his ill luck that one group of superheroes outwitted him, trapping him within an icy cave so deep and so cold that even his power could not free him. The Land itself rose up against him and aided the superheroes in trapping him."
Trapped in a cave, or banished to another dimension, like in the Canada Crisis?

Cheers!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    There are some brief tidbits of data on Kigatilik in Champions Of The North and our just-published book Champions Universe, but for the full story and a character sheet you'll have to wait a couple months for the release of Volume 1 of Champions Villains. I just wrote Kigatilik up in full a few days ago, in fact. ;)
    edited June 2010
    His current backstory. subject to Steve and Cryptic's reinterpretation:

Kigatilik was an ancient Inuit "god" who was known as the "slayer of shamans". Cast out of his pantheon centuries ago, he was imprisoned in a great rock by the Land Spirit of the North (an elder elemental power). Over the years, the huge basalt rock came to be worshipped by a few crazies. One of these was King Vultok, an immortal ice elemental lord who lived in a hidden ice realm. Vultok was also an ally of Hitler's during WW2 and when the Axis lost the war, he decided to get revenge by stealing an atomic bomb and detonating it ats an act oif terror. Before he could get the nuke in position, an alliance of Canada's surviving golden age heroes stopped him, blowing up Vultok's ice realm instead. It cost the lives of most of Canada's bravest and best.

The nuke also caused a crack in the great rock imprisoning Kigatilik.

It took two decades, but Kigatilik managed to widen the crack, year by agonizing year, until he finally broke free of his basalt prison in 1964. When he did, the Land spirit sensed his returned presence, and empowered four Canadians to oppose him, transforming them into Canada's great Silver Age superhero team, the Mighty Canadians. The Mighties fought Kigatilik and his minions for 10 years, finally having a climactic showdown with the god in 1975. In that battle, Kigatilik was imprisoned in the frozen dimension of the Frost Tomb, but so were all of the Mighty Canadians except for Celestar.

Kigatilik remained imprisoned in the Frost Tomb causing trouble for our world when he could, mainly by unleasnng Tilingkoot, the demon of the Lost, and sending his servant Roi D'Hiver into the world. That is (in CO), until 2009, when he was brought back into the world by Shadow Destroyer's servant, Rakshasa. That's his story where it currently stands in our little MMO, except for the part where an incredibly handsome and brave superhero (with minor assistance from about ten other heroes) defeated Kigatilik and laid him out on the ground so he could pose over his fallen form.

As Steve said, there'll be more neat info in Champions Villains, a book I'm really looking forward to. Edit: Steve was kind enough to show me an advance of the write-up and there's a few more twists in it.
    edited June 2010
    That is awesome, thank you very much for the info!
    edited June 2010
    Here's Kigatilik's villain profile on the site here.