test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Goodbye Elemental Control Framework

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
It's been gone for awhile, but for some reason it just hit me tonight, we've lost our Elemental Control Framework in 6th edition. My characters, The Napalm Kid and Professor Midnight weep, but not hard. The Unified Power limitation is there to welcome them with open arms.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Cphonx wrote:
    It's been gone for awhile, but for some reason it just hit me tonight, we've lost our Elemental Control Framework in 6th edition. My characters, The Napalm Kid and Professor Midnight weep, but not hard. The Unified Power limitation is there to welcome them with open arms.

OMG this is driving me crazy.
    These new rules changes I have got to learn.
    Must...go...find...budget...to get...6E...
    edited May 2010
    I know how you feel. I'm behind on my Hero 6th / Champions books as well. I should be able to pick up Champions next month and Champions Powers the next if no big money drains happen.
    edited May 2010
    -I never understood the drive to get the new editions so quickly. We're having fun in 5th, have the books, no reason to buy the new stuff.

Same with DnD. We still play 2nd edition from time to time, and there's no reason for us to ever touch 4th edition with the wealth of material still available for 3/3.5 we haven't gone through yet. There have been multiple versions, iterations and updates to Monopoly, but i still play the old one that's been in my closet for close to twenty years now. About the only reason i'd buy a new set would be because we're missing the little guy on the horse piece.

I recommend patience, deep breathing, and the realization that you don't have to buy 6e anytime soon. Though i am sure the HERO staff would disagree with me on that one.

Rattletrap
    edited May 2010
    Rattletrap wrote:
    Though i am sure the HERO staff would disagree with me on that one.

Rattletrap

Of course. The HERO staff only gets paychecks when people buy their books, and let me tell you, the 6th edition books I have are nice books. Did I need to buy 6th? No, of course not. 5th was doing well enough. Am I glad I bought 6th, you bettcha. I think the rules are clearer, better organized, and easier to understand. Plus instead of having to approximate DOTs with constant and uncontrolled, they now have DOTs as a core rule for the first time which makes me a happy camper. (6E1 328)
    edited May 2010
    Rattletrap wrote:
    -I never understood the drive to get the new editions so quickly. We're having fun in 5th, have the books, no reason to buy the new stuff.

Same with DnD. We still play 2nd edition from time to time, and there's no reason for us to ever touch 4th edition with the wealth of material still available for 3/3.5 we haven't gone through yet. There have been multiple versions, iterations and updates to Monopoly, but i still play the old one that's been in my closet for close to twenty years now. About the only reason i'd buy a new set would be because we're missing the little guy on the horse piece.

I recommend patience, deep breathing, and the realization that you don't have to buy 6e anytime soon. Though i am sure the HERO staff would disagree with me on that one.

Rattletrap

I have patience...I am a 3rd Edition Champions players. I played the big hardbound book from memory for five years.

There is enough changes in Champions now that I need to refresh.
    I have another reason as well.
    I want to teach my children champions.
    Champions is a very educational game for math, logic, story structure, creativity and it's just plain fun.
    edited May 2010
    Cphonx wrote:

Yes. I thought I'd miss Elemental Controsl until I started building powers with unified power limits..and not having to get GM's permission for various exceptions, having to work around the restriction against non-end using powers or trying to shoehorn in powers with similar costs......

Yes, so long Elemental Controls--time has passed you by.
    edited May 2010
    I have just about everything, 1st through 6th edition... That what comes from being a game collecter....

But playing, I've never moved passed the Big Blue Book...

That was the Champions universe I played since '81 and grew to love...

My game still includes Strike Force, The Blood, Dr McQuark, and C.L.O.W.N.....

I find stuff I like, I just convert it back... Retcon FTW!!!!!

:)

Side note... I see Aaron Allston is still working with DOJ... Any chance Cryptic could get the rights to some of his older Champions stuff?
    edited May 2010
    Dr. McQuark is cool but please, no more C.L.O.W.N.
    edited May 2010
    Cphonx wrote:
    Dr. McQuark is cool but please, no more C.L.O.W.N.

LOL!

I know what you mean... They were like a whole team of Foxbats... When one is more than enough...

However, I took GMs prerogative and made them darker... More Joker-like...

And the first time I used them, I made sure the heroes turned TEEHEE into a paperweight, never to be seen again....

At least as a car....

<evil grin emote>
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure how to take that. You'd have to have an amazing GM, far better than my little efforts, to walk that fine line. Too goofy and you end up with the 60's batman. Too dark and you end up with The Killing Joke to the nth power. I could never run that campaign and I know no GMs who could, but if you do find a GM that can walk that fine line I'd join that campaign in a heartbeat.