test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Archery → Hunter

dataweaver42dataweaver42 Posts: 166 Arc User
Take the Archery Powerset (theme: trick arrows) and expand it into a Hunter Powerset (theme: tricked-out archaic ranged weapons). It should be to archaic ranged weapons what Munitions is to guns. (Exception: I want crossbow weapon skins for the Munitions powers.)

Start by moving the boomerang and bola powers from Gadgeteer to Hunter. Add some Lariat variants of the Brick's Chain powers (technically Melee powers; but they're still thrown weapons) and Throwing Knives variants of the Martial Artist's Shuriken powers. Give the Throwing Knives powers a Weapons Costume category, and allow it to include knives, disks, baseballs, footballs, javelins, spears, and other assorted throwing weapons.

Give some of the non-boomerang thrown weapons a Strike From the Shadows Enhancement that lets them benefit from stealth the way the boomerang powers do. In particular, there should be an archery attack and a throwing knives attack that can be turned into assassination strikes in this way. It's OK if they lose some of their normal strength in the process, as long as they hit especially hard when launched from stealth. And add Stealth as a stand-alone power in this set: you still get it for free with the Night Warrior passive; but you can also take it independently if you want to use a different Passive and aren't interested in Shadow Strike.

Comments

• Options
    bughousebughouse Posts: 105 Arc User
    Didn't Stealth used to be a stand-alone power choice in the early game?
  • Options
    venemesisvenemesis Posts: 16 Arc User
    I still don't understand why stealth isn't a stand alone power. They could have it in multiple categories if they wanted.

Gadgeteering/ munitions - Cloaking device
    Martial Arts - Night Warrior
    Sorcery - Spell of Invisibility ( I know there is an area effect stealth power already)
    Void - Shadow Walking

"Enlightenment is knowing how much you don't know"
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    bughouse said:

Didn't Stealth used to be a stand-alone power choice in the early game?

venemesis said:

I still don't understand why stealth isn't a stand alone power. They could have it in multiple categories if they wanted.

Gadgeteering/ munitions - Cloaking device
    Martial Arts - Night Warrior
    Sorcery - Spell of Invisibility ( I know there is an area effect stealth power already)
    Void - Shadow Walking

Stealth was a stand alone power originally, yes... It was changed to be a part of the NightWarrior passive (when the passive was added) to restrict the use of the power. Before it was overused in many PvP builds. Stealth was an absolute "must have" in PvP
    regardless of what your build was. This resulted in some combinations that were quite frankly overpowered. Making Stealth reliant on a specific passive actually restored balance to the power. Now you can't combine it with the most overpowered passives in the game, instead you are forced to use a passive that is one of the most well rounded passives available, as far as offensive passives go...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    The only reason I didn't suggest moving Night Warrior into this Hunter Powerset is the inclusion of Shadow Strike, a power that's conceptually more in line with Claws than with “archaic ranged weapons”. Perhaps Hunter could provide a variation of Night Warrior (“Night Hunter”?) that replaces Shadow Strike with Focused Shot as its freebie “alpha strike” power, and maybe is optimized for ranged damage? Alternately, break Shadow Strike out of Night Warrior and alter it so that it's still somewhat useful even when not in stealth, but truly comes into its own when combined with stealth.
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User

The only reason I didn't suggest moving Night Warrior into this Hunter Powerset is the inclusion of Shadow Strike, a power that's conceptually more in line with Claws than with “archaic ranged weapons”. Perhaps Hunter could provide a variation of Night Warrior (“Night Hunter”?) that replaces Shadow Strike with Focused Shot as its freebie “alpha strike” power, and maybe is optimized for ranged damage? Alternately, break Shadow Strike out of Night Warrior and alter it so that it's still somewhat useful even when not in stealth, but truly comes into its own when combined with stealth.

an alternate version of Night Warrior that has a ranged version of Shadow Strike would be a nice addition... the damage bonus of the passive would still need to remain neutral though... the lower overall damage output of Night Warrior was part of the balancing factor for stealth... creating an alternate version that offers the same higher bonus of other offensive passives (especially to ranged) is just asking for it to be abused again... It was primarily ranged builds that abused stealth in the first place...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    Certainly; because before the Night Avenger update, stealth was useless at Melee ranges: everyone always saw through it. The only way it could be used at all was at range.

Focused Shot and Sniper are already ranged counterparts for Shadow Strike: you basically only get to use them at the start of a fight, but they do enough damage that even some fairly high-level mobs are dropped before the fight even begins. The mechanics by which they work are slightly different, in that they have fairly lengthy charge times that are easily interrupted and they don't have any special benefits from being stealthed; but the basic premise of taking out a powerful target in one shot but only if they're not aware of you is already there. That's why I suggested that a Night Hunter Passive might trade out Shadow Strike for Focused Shot.
  • Options
    With the recent rework of Night Avenger (where Shadow Strike is separated out and turned into an Ultimate Power), let me adjust my suggestion here: move Night Warrior to the rebranded Hunter set.

Finally, add Boomerang variants of the various "trick arrow" powers: Sonic, Taser, Explosive, Gas, and Medicine.