test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Launcher issue NEW ( cool right? Right?? )

crimefighter2crimefighter2 Posts: 21 Arc User
edited July 2023 in PC & Technical Issues
I just want to play this beatiful game.

so here we are again.
Idk if this is related to windows 11 or else but I'm unable yet again to launch Champions Online. The game ran pretty smoothly for months tho.
Since July 2nd I only got the same sys msg over and over again.

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate
Trying to update the launcher.
please be patient.
43.6 MB remaning...

then the whole thing froze and the same process restart over and over.

please be patient.
27 MB remaning...
Tried connecting 6 times

the actual times gets even higher than 6 but you get the idea by now.

So, my dear Champions Online Community and Developers my question is:

how can you help me fix this issue?

I won't be able to complete the partiot event nor any other in-game activity in CO due to this problem that prevent me for launch the MMO in question.

PLEASE , and by that I mean P L E A S E , help me.

Comments

• Options
    weird thing is NeverWinter that uses the very same Cryptic Launcher , works properly without any issue :/ The problem I spoke of yesterday still persists today . Again, PLEASE help me.
  • Options
    thenitron#0772 thenitron Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    also having the same issue.
    what is happening?

EDIT: NOW i got in
  • Options
    tariser12tariser12 Posts: 43 Arc User
    I managed to get it downloaded after several tries, but now the Launcher seems to persist after the game starts (as a process running in the background not a visible launcher) in fact multiple (6 or more) processes called champions online.exe*32 are listed, and using memory and processor for each one. The Game runs but it seems to interfere sometimes. I'm pretty sure this just started with the launcher update since I didn't see it before.
  • Options
    I got in now. It seems the issue happens only days and or hrs befoer a new patch releases. Still. I was unable to logon to CO for the lat 3 days so I won't be able to unlock the items I liked to from the Patriot Event store. As A LifeTime Subscriber I demand 400 extra patriot tokens on the 2 character I'm doing the event with. I know, I know the devs will never gave me 400 tokens, but I had to try.

SO let's see how long Champions Online works without issues this time around.
  • Options
    chojinpatriarchchojinpatriarch Posts: 5 Arc User
    And it's happening again. Nearly two hours of this:
    'Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient'
    It gets to around 80.5 MB remaining, then restarts from the ~115Mb start...
    It'll try for 13 attempts, then break with a 'Connection error'.

Great time to try and start a new character, eh? :s
  • Options
    thisiscraftaaathisiscraftaaa Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    Came here to check and see if anyone else was having the same issue, and apparently this is now a thing. Fun!

Update! Managed to get patched but had to basically farm retries by bringing up twenty plus copies of the launcher patcher through manual launching for quite a while for it to get through. Still an issue for other people though. The forums went out for a little while too, as did all of arcgames, so... something funky's up, dunno what though.
    Post edited by thisiscraftaaa on
    Defender save my soul, for I have sinned...
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,094 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2023
    Hey folks, those having issue, can you do this:
    Find the shortcut to the launcher, right click and select properties, and add -console to the target line. When you open up the shortcut after it should open up a console window. Please post anything it happens to spit out while you're stuck in the update loop.

If you're launching through steam or arc then you'll have to find the install location, create a shortcut and apply the above.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Posts: 68 Arc User
    Tried logging in and had the same error as many others in this thread. Here's the info I got from -console:

[E:/Champions Online_en/Champions Online.exe] [House] [x86]
    -console

fileDataDir: E:/Champions Online_en (0.00)
    Loaded FolderCache with 0 files from hoggs (0.00)
    UtilitiesLib_SetFileSystemIsInitted (0.00)
    Connecting to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
    PatchClientLib: connecting to server "patchserver.crypticstudios.com" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to server "208.95.186.148" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: autoupdating E:/Champions Online_en/Champions Online.exe
    PatchClientLib: still connecting to server "patchserver.crypticstudios.com" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to server "208.95.184.97" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: still connecting to server "patchserver.crypticstudios.com" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to server "208.95.186.109" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to server "208.95.184.122" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to server "208.95.186.131" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: successfully connected
    Restarting launcher after first chance auto-patch: "E:/Champions Online_en/Champions Online.exe" -console -updatedfrom "CL_2023_06_26_11_28"

Then, another window popped up with the foillowing:

[E:/Champions Online_en/Champions Online.exe] [House] [x86]
    -console
    -updatedfrom CL_2023_06_26_11_28

fileDataDir: E:/Champions Online_en (0.00)
    PatchClientLib: connecting to server "patchserver.crypticstudios.com" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: skipping unneeded autoupdate CrypticLauncher3FC
    AutopatchDialog thread shutting down
    GamePrefsInit: giGamePrefSet is now 'Gameprefs.Pref' (0)
    Skipping System Requirements check
    PW_SDK::Init
    calling SHGetKnownFolderPath
    PW Launcher installation not found
    CC_ERR_CLIENT_NOT_LAUNCHED: installed: true, running: false
    Failure of some kindOpening url:clinternal://cryptic.loc/BSP_LOADING
    [0714/142245.524:INFO:CONSOLE(144)] "A parser-blocking, cross site (i.e. different eTLD+1) script, http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js, is invoked via document.write. The network request for this script MAY be blocked by the browser in this or a future page load due to poor network connectivity. If blocked in this page load, it will be confirmed in a subsequent console message. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104 for more details.", source: http://championslauncher.crypticstudios.com/launcher_login (144)
    [0714/142245.541:INFO:CONSOLE(144)] "A parser-blocking, cross site (i.e. different eTLD+1) script, http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js, is invoked via document.write. The network request for this script MAY be blocked by the browser in this or a future page load due to poor network connectivity. If blocked in this page load, it will be confirmed in a subsequent console message. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104 for more details.", source: http://championslauncher.crypticstudios.com/launcher_login (144)
    Setting JSAPI version 2

After this window popped up, the launcher came up after a few seconds.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    On my end, the same as yesterday: 13 long, slow attempts, and the 'connection failed' box showed up at the end. Same output as Ikonn, up until the 'successfully connected' line - there wasn't one, after all...

(Couldn't cut and paste from console once the connection error popped up. But no error text came up when the connection problem did.) :#

An afternoon update: Still failing, but some attempts do manage to reach as low as 65MB remaining... Before restarting.
    Post edited by chojinpatriarch on
  • Options
    tatdaryow2tatdaryow2 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Unable to download the STO launcher. Keeps timing out, keeps timing out, keeps timing out. Im very upset about this!!!!
  • Options
    wingsedgewingsedge Posts: 3 Arc User
    Same issue since yesterday's morning here. Goes on until it reaches 16 attempts, then terminates with the message about checking the internet connection, or seeking support help. Pinging the servers goes without problems.
  • Options
    revolutionredrevolutionred Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I too am having this issue, I though it was my connection, being that since i live in a very rural area and have to use a satellite connection, but we are able to stream on our televisions and phones with no problems, at least no more then the usual ones, and other online games do work, so yeah, help please. I get the same console outputs as ikonn, but no connection as of yet.
  • Options
    ninjamadaraninjamadara Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    HOW TO FIX :
    _when this show up :

please be patient. 112mb

_count 10 sec and disconnect your wifi (just from your PC dont turn off your router)and connect back fast and count 10 sec and disconnect again.....
    _every time you do this (*number*mb) will decrease until you finish it

_when launcher show up click on Option and uncheck (On-demand patching) and (Force verify)

_and congratulations you back to play again <3
    Post edited by ninjamadara on
  • Options
    khrondorkhrondor Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hey folks, those having issue, can you do this:
    Find the shortcut to the launcher, right click and select properties, and add -console to the target line. When you open up the shortcut after it should open up a console window. Please post anything it happens to spit out while you're stuck in the update loop.

If you're launching through steam or arc then you'll have to find the install location, create a shortcut and apply the above.

PPl posted. this still going for me. Any news? i dont want to do the wifi thing hehe
  • Options
    Update! :o

Trying the third option from This post worked to get the Launcher running. This works if you're running under another launcher like Steam or ARC.

Basically:
    1. Within your Champions Online folder (The location of the launcher, that is, you should be able to find it via your respective main launcher) move the 'Champions Online' folder within it (It contains the game files under 'Live' and 'Playtest', if you have PTS access) and 'localdata' (containing your game settings and HUD layout) to another location.
    2. Delete all other files.
    3. Try to run the game, and Steam or ARC should throw an error.
    4. Uninstall via the same, then reinstall.
    5. Run the game again, and the launcher should patch fairly.
    6. Before logging in (and being forced to download the game again,) close the launcher, move the previous folders ('Champions Online' and 'localdata') back to the launcher's folder, and log in.

Essentially, you sidestep the launcher trying to update in a broken loop, by replacing it with the latest copy.

HOPEFULLY that works for you. It has for me! =) Online and in-game as I type this. Until the next time the launcher breaks...
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    so this IS a known issue.

I'm not the only one having trouble launching CO :( .

Unistalled and re-installed the game 4 times.
    Issue is still there. I just noticed the -console advice kaiserin#0958 posted few days ago .
    I'll try that and let you know if something runs or not
  • Options
    wingsedgewingsedge Posts: 3 Arc User
    Update: Issue got circumvented on endpoint.
    1)First attempted solution (failed): used the OLD CO standalone installer to see if the fresh start will help. After installing, the launcher popped up that small update window, then went completely dark, with no further reaction whatsoever, while still running as per task manager, while the console printed only the launcher's file execution, and nothing else. (My guess there, that the old launcher does not connect to the new launcher for update, but that's just a guess).
    2)Second attempted solution was to reinstall ACR and see if it'll launcher there. (Worked): basically had to download the ARC, and install CO from there letting the launcher start, then shutting it down before copy-pasting the LIVE\PTS folder from the existing client into the new one to skip the downloading of the full game all over again.
    That got me into the game in the end, but I'd rather get back to stand alone client, so still looking how this'll resolve.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,094 Cryptic Developer
    This should be resolved now.
  • Options
    all went well for few days.

Now, after I patched to the very last patch and hitted the PLAY button it crashed again, CER no "trying to connect to the update launcher" stuff. I can surely confirm it crashes after every patch. So it might be something patch-content related I guess. Idk really I'm not a programmer afterall. Anyway no CO for me for the time being. Maybe tomorrow and /or in the upcoming days? we'll see. TYIA for the help.

It saddends me that only CO has this kind of issues :(
    My favourite MMO and I'm not allow to play it the way I wish I could :( so sad
  • Options
    kazecatkazecat Posts: 35 Arc User
    The Launcher doesn't seem to work on my steam deck. Star Trek Launcher doesn't seem to work either. It just creates a black window. I'm gonna post info I got from -console as well.

in half4 vcolor_S0;void main() {// Stage 0, QuadPerEdgeAAGeometryProcessor
    half4 outputColor_S0;outputColor_S0 = vcolor_S0;const half4 outputCoverage_S0 =
    half4(1);{ // Xfer Processor: Porter Duff
    sk_FragColor = outputColor_S0 * outputCoverage_S0;}}
    // Vertex GLSL
    #version 100

precision mediump float;
    precision mediump sampler2D;
    uniform highp vec4 sk_RTAdjust;
    attribute highp vec2 position;
    attribute mediump vec4 color;
    varying mediump vec4 vcolor_S0;
    void main() {
    vcolor_S0 = color;
    gl_Position = vec4(position, 0.0, 1.0);
    gl_Position = vec4(gl_Position.xy * sk_RTAdjust.xz + gl_Position.ww * sk_RTA
    djust.yw, 0.0, gl_Position.w);
    }

// Fragment GLSL
    #version 100

precision mediump float;
    varying mediump vec4 vcolor_S0;
    void main() {
    mediump vec4 outputColor_S0;
    outputColor_S0 = vcolor_S0;
    {
    gl_FragColor = outputColor_S0;
    }
    }

Errors:
    C:\fakepath:33:35: E5000: syntax error, unexpected '(', expecting ';' or ','

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with default flags. (vs_5_0)
    Retrying with skip validation

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with skip validation flags. (vs_5_0)
    Retrying with skip optimization

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with skip optimization flags. (vs_5_0)

Failed to create D3D Shaders

[0828/195716.434:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(48)] HLSLCompiler.cpp:258 (compi
    leToBinary):

[0828/195716.434:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(48)] HLSLCompiler.cpp:258 (compi
    leToBinary):
    C:\fakepath:39:52: E5000: syntax error, unexpected '(', expecting ';' or ','

[0828/195716.435:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(48)] HLSLCompiler.cpp:258 (compi
    leToBinary):

[0828/195716.435:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(48)] HLSLCompiler.cpp:258 (compi
    leToBinary):

[0828/195716.436:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(48)] HLSLCompiler.cpp:258 (compi
    leToBinary):

[0828/195716.436:WARNING:angle_platform_impl.cc(48)] HLSLCompiler.cpp:258 (compi
    leToBinary):

[0828/195716.437:ERROR:shared_context_state.cc(77)] Skia shader compilation erro
    r
    // Vertex SKSL
    uniform float4 sk_RTAdjust;in float2 position;in float2 localCoord;out float2 vl
    ocalCoord_S0;void main() {// Primitive Processor QuadPerEdgeAAGeometryProcessor
    vlocalCoord_S0 = localCoord;sk_Position = position.xy01;}
    // Fragment SKSL
    uniform sampler2D uTextureSampler_0_S0;
    in float2 vlocalCoord_S0;void main() {// Stage 0, QuadPerEdgeAAGeometryProcessor
    half4 outputColor_S0 = half4(1);float2 texCoord;texCoord = vlocalCoord_S0;output
    Color_S0 = ((sample(uTextureSampler_0_S0, texCoord) * half4(1)));const half4 out
    putCoverage_S0 = half4(1);{ // Xfer Processor: Porter Duff
    sk_FragColor = outputColor_S0 * outputCoverage_S0;}}
    // Vertex GLSL
    #version 100

precision mediump float;
    uniform highp vec4 sk_RTAdjust;
    attribute highp vec2 position;
    attribute highp vec2 localCoord;
    varying highp vec2 vlocalCoord_S0;
    void main() {
    vlocalCoord_S0 = localCoord;
    gl_Position = vec4(position, 0.0, 1.0);
    gl_Position = vec4(gl_Position.xy * sk_RTAdjust.xz + gl_Position.ww * sk_RTA
    djust.yw, 0.0, gl_Position.w);
    }

// Fragment GLSL
    #version 100

precision mediump float;
    uniform sampler2D uTextureSampler_0_S0;
    varying highp vec2 vlocalCoord_S0;
    void main() {
    mediump vec4 outputColor_S0 = vec4(1.0);
    highp vec2 texCoord;
    texCoord = vlocalCoord_S0;
    outputColor_S0 = texture2D(uTextureSampler_0_S0, texCoord, -0.5);
    {
    gl_FragColor = outputColor_S0;
    }
    }

Errors:

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with default flags. (vs_5_0)

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with skip validation flags. (vs_5_0)

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with skip optimization flags. (vs_5_0)

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with default flags. (ps_5_0)

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with skip validation flags. (ps_5_0)

Warning: D3D shader compilation failed with skip optimization flags. (ps_5_0)

Failed to create D3D Shaders

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,434 Arc User
    all went well for few days.

Now, after I patched to the very last patch and hitted the PLAY button it crashed again, CER no "trying to connect to the update launcher" stuff. I can surely confirm it crashes after every patch. So it might be something patch-content related I guess. Idk really I'm not a programmer afterall. Anyway no CO for me for the time being. Maybe tomorrow and /or in the upcoming days? we'll see. TYIA for the help.

It saddends me that only CO has this kind of issues :(
    My favourite MMO and I'm not allow to play it the way I wish I could :( so sad

Do you have access to another computer where you can install the game and see if it works there? Might be something in your computer.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    kazecatkazecat Posts: 35 Arc User
    My issue seems to have resolved itself with the new update. If anyone else uses a steam deck the recent update to the launcher may be fixed. I ran it with compatibility of Proton Experimental and that worked for me.
  • Options
    doggepopedoggepope Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    New launcher has consistently taken ~2 minutes to load the login screen since rollout, up from about one second for the previous version. Can eventually access the game, but have recently discovered that in this case, this delay will result in a certain complication when attempting to launch the game through Steam:

[C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Champions Online/Champions Online.exe] [House] [x86]
    -affiliate appid=9880
    -launchedfrom steam
    -console

fileDataDir: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Champions Online
    \-> (0.00)
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to server "208.95.184.123" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: skipping unneeded autoupdate CrypticLauncher4FC
    AutopatchDialog thread shutting down
    GamePrefsInit: giGamePrefSet is now 'Gameprefs.Pref' (0)
    Skipping System Requirements check
    PW_SDK::Init
    calling SHGetKnownFolderPath
    PW Launcher installation not found
    CC_ERR_CLIENT_NOT_LAUNCHED: installed: false, running: false
    Failure of some kindSetting breakpad minidump AppID = 9880
    Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: lolno [API loaded no]
    Opening url:clinternal://cryptic.loc/BSP_LOADING
    Setting JSAPI version 3

ab415d08ed34319a71838ab5d582f79a.png

I only wanted to buy some keys. 😔

[ed: Have verified that the inability to connect via Steam was the result of a user error, but the inordinately long loading time remains consistent even after reinstall.]
  • Options
    doggepopedoggepope Posts: 32 Arc User
    The prompt fix is much appreciated. It loads like a dream now. ODmwZBt.png
  • Options
    [C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Champions Online/Champions Online.exe] [House] [x86]
    -affiliate appid=9880
    -launchedfrom steam
    -console

fileDataDir: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Champions Online
    \-> (0.00)
    PatchClientLib: autoupdating C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Champions Online/Champions Online.exe
    PatchClientLib: redirecting to server "208.95.186.134" on port 7255
    PatchClientLib: autoupdating C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Champions Online/Champions Online.exe

Autoupdate still keeps resetting back to 100+ mb plus, being stuck in infinite loop.
    "In a horror story, there are only victims and monsters, and the trick is not to end up as either." A.Wake
  • Options
    Update: Thankfully it fixed itself after some hours, just like for majority of people here, but I suppose console report can still be useful for identification of a problem that is causing it.
    "In a horror story, there are only victims and monsters, and the trick is not to end up as either." A.Wake