test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts on a Large Increase to Passive Tank Threat?

hammermoonhammermoon Posts: 3 Arc User
edited September 2023 in Suggestions Box
I've been playing for a while now, though I've taken some long, random breaks, and one problem that I've always had with Tanks when coming back to CO is that it can be difficult to hold aggro when leveling up to 40, mainly when gearing your character after 40; especially if you're going into Cosmics, etc. Or even AFTER 40, when you're solidly geared--working towards end game gear, yet you still have trouble holding aggro when you easily should be able to.

I've played all kinds of games and have tried out all kinds of roles, but when I come back to CO, the Tank always seems to have an issue with threat still. I've never had this issue with other games. It's a bit annoying trying to level and/or gear out a tank--trying to hold the aggro onto yourself when others will simply take the aggro away from you (Cosmics, SVs, regular missions, etc.) if other players do enough damage, which is much easier to build up to if you're leveling a dps.

Then, as a Tank you have to sacrifice offensive gear slots to put in +threat mods, or choose the Protector in the spec tree to gain +threat, or get the Onslaught villain glove that provides +threat for your secondary offensive gear slot (etc.), you definitely have to grab the challenge advantages for your abilities, and so forth... It's a lot of stuff just to try and make the Tank work as its role is intended to work--to grab enemy attention and be a meat shield. Yet, instead of the Tank simply having MUCH higher threat generation than every other role, it's passive threat is increased only a little bit, and then you have to build your character around making threat; which, is something I've never seen any other game do--if you're a Tank, or a role that's supposed to hold aggro, you can guarantee you're going to hold aggro as intended. In CO, Tanks feel a bit more competitive and they feel a little less free to do what they want compared to other roles. This could have easily be improved upon over the years. Maybe they've done something to change that though recently, as I haven't logged in for about half a year now (or so).

I have no idea what other people's thoughts are on this, but this is one issue I've always had. An issue that makes tanking a bit less fun, adds confusion as to why a Tank is struggling to hold aggro in the first place in certain content/with certain people (just because they're not fully geared w/all +threat mods, specs, advs on), and then it creates a more competitive feeling, which in turn can create more angry people (and a more stressed out Tanker) when the Tank can't hold aggro... or if dps "accidentally" take aggro from the Tank in certain situations.
Post edited by hammermoon on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    tomqqtomqq Posts: 20 Arc User
    Tank isnt my favourite role in mmo, healer is but i always end up playing one and doing fine in the end and i havent experience something lacking here too.

I only was able to play a default AT Rockstar until now so no FF experience here but honestly until 25-27 level my experience was like its fine but not great but i believe in all games low level feels like that in tanking, After hitting 30 and especially 35 my overall experience end up way better and had fun even tanking Colossus as 32-34lvl at Nightmare event with no problem holding agro and that without any serious gear cause i only had some green or blue from leveling stuff (Rockstar was my 2nd char and no fancy gear for me then). When i reach 40lvl i was able to have ready all 3 OV pieces and had bought cheap Mercenary/Remarkable gear from AH , add up some cheap rank4 or 5 mods and puting one r5 Challenge mod at offencive gear its fine until now doing everything. Sure Cosmics i cant tank but sometimes i pull agro liek an idiot :anguished: but everything else if i time stuff right and keep primary and scondary challenge up i can tank fine 99% of the time.

Now i dont know how it feels to do hard content like Eidolon (which i dont care at all) or Theraklie Temple (i need 4 people to teach me) which you need good dps which tend to nuke hard (which they also have threat wipe i suppose) but i think my feelings tanking threat is fine on my level of content i do until now.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Building for your primary stat will definitely help add some nice threat generation [(as most people probably do) relating to your Rockstar AT], but if you want to do anything a little more creative, or just slightly different, which could ultimately be more beneficial, you sacrifice a bit in the threat department compared to other builds for other roles in the game.

I remember usually feeling the struggle with threat when I was w/other geared lvl 40 dps, so, anything end game really--like with cosmics, and so on. Having to add the adv challenges and threat modifications to gear is what I also mentioned though, and you mentioned you had adv challenges added, and that you had at least one threat modification into your gear, which takes up space for something else... Damage also generates threat for Tanks as well, like with any other role, but if you're lacking in damage then you'll be lacking in some threat too.

Even for those who don't have problems with holding onto threat, like in end game scenarios, upping the base threat generation isn't going to hurt those people--this shouldn't be hurting anyone, but it should help all other Tanks who ARE having issues for whatever reason. Then, again, it'll free up a couple advantage points and modification spaces in gear to be used for something else other than for threat generation. At the least, it'd free up some modification space and allow for more stat varieties (without having to worry about failing to keep aggro).
  • Options
    godhandxiiigodhandxiii Posts: 71 Arc User
    Some of us tanks have been asking for this and what we got was endgame gear that increases threat. Which doesn't help pre-40 or when you're endgame grinding, and even then it's not even enough of a threat increase for tanks to forego threat mods.

I'm still in the camp that threat mods shouldn't exist and should have been tank basekit in the first place.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    Truth be told, tanking and aggro is not all that important except for some events and endgame stuff. The game is pretty easy and most of the time in leveling and alerts a tank is not at all needed. Moreover, a level 15 tank is simply going to be out aggroed by any half way decent lvl 40 dps. Also, the devs could do something very easy, like increase the amount of base threat generated in tank role, but they have not done that. What they want, instead, is for high end dps to waste a power slot to buy a threat wipe. It's been like this for a while now and likely won't change with the current dev team.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Everything you mentioned/suggested Jaazaniah, is what I said basically lmao. Also godhand, yeah, it doesn't solve anything, it just further pushes the issue into a deeper hole of problems.

What bothers me is that you have to put EFFORT into becoming a Tank--not focusing on the survivability portion (etc.), just the threat generating portion. Then, even when you try your best to use all the threat mods, challenge advs, and so forth, you still have a chance or a guarantee of getting out aggrod by dps, which... defeats the whole purpose of a Tank, whether the content is easy or not. It makes me feel useless not being able to perform my role, while also having my advantage and modification slots, and build, restricted.

And yeah, I've played for a while and this is something I've always hated, along with some other stuff that could be improved upon. It's such a simple issue that could easily be tested within a day, and then implemented if "everything goes right."
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    The best way to hold aggro here is to heal. Enough said...