test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleshing out a ranged build meant for DPS and survival

renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
There really isn't a hard set theme yet. Right now I was thinking about something similar to the Power Rangers/Super Sentai. But what I mainly wanted gameplay-wise is a ranged DPS character that used a Maintain and could move around with that Maintain. And it seems the only powers that let you do this are the weapon based ones. So I could honestly use a bow as well. Or a regular rifle. If dual pistols had a 100ft ranged attack, I'd use that, but they only go up to 50ft, so that's out for me.

Here's what I have so far:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
v3.45:38

Super Stats
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Gunslinger (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Ego: 8, Rec: 10)
Level 6: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 9: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
Level 18: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 21: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
Level 1: Particle Rifle
Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Sharp Shooter (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Resurgence
Level 17: Smoke Bomb
Level 20: Bullet Hail (Rank 2, Wall of Bullets)
Level 23: Concentration
Level 26: Thundering Return
Level 29:
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 23/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Energy Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35:

Specializations
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (1/2)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (1/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Devices

I'm not sure which is better, going for crit or higher damage, but I tried doing a crit based build. Still no idea with primaries to go for. I have thundering return as a just in case and because there's so many slots to fill out anyway. I have no idea what else to really pick. I almost went with evasion maneuvers, but figured smoke bomb is better so that I can stop being attacked and run away if needed. I picked implosion engine, but I'm not really set on it. I was thinking about picking an elemental or magical Ultimate. Especially if I ended up going with a bow instead of guns.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    Well, I can't add too much if you aren't sure of which main attacks you want to stick w/ yet, but I can at least review the current build. Sharpshooter won't proc on PBR here, it's redundant w/ Concentration also being a toggle/form, and you don't generally want to rank up toggle/forms like Sharpshooter anyways. Perhaps you mistook Sharpshooter for a slotted passive, since you don't have an actual slotted passive here (PA's Targeting Computer is the best for dps here, though you could also opt for Composure or NW). Smoke Bomb is also a decent threat wipe, though you'd have to be okay w/ its longer cd compared to other threat wipes. The build also lacks an energy unlock atm. As is, I'd prob make Overdrive your energy unlock, since it'll work w/ both PBR and Bullet Hail (or any general maintain). Lastly for the powers, taps of Chest Beam can be nice to debuff for PBR's dmg, but it's limited to 50ft, so its inclusion is just up to you.

Concerning the SS setup: I may go for Ego PSS w/ Conc as your toggle/form, since it has Force of Will for extra defense, its Mastery is pretty nice w/ Con SS, and it's still a strong pick for ranged dps (prob take EGO/End/Con when using Overdrive, and taking some talents for Rec and its resting energy boost).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
    Thanks for the help. I was able to round out the build a bit more I think. And yeah, in the editor, Sharp Shooter seems like a passive because it's rank 2 and 3 says that it increased the power by 20% etc. and not that it lets you start with more stacks.

My understanding is that if I wanted to go outside of Technology, then Night Warrior would be a better option since it covers all damage types?

Here's what I have now:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Gunslinger (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Ego: 8, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Resurgence
    Level 17: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 20: Bullet Hail (Rank 2, Wall of Bullets)
    Level 23: Composure (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Thundering Return
    Level 29: Overdrive
    Level 32: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 29/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Energy Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (1/3)
    Ego: Aggression (2/2)
    Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    (...) And yeah, in the editor, Sharp Shooter seems like a passive because it's rank 2 and 3 says that it increased the power by 20% etc. and not that it lets you start with more stacks.
    Eh, that's just a typo on the HC Planner. If you check in-game you can see that ranks instead increase Sharpshooter's starting stacks, like w/ most toggle/forms.
    My understanding is that if I wanted to go outside of Technology, then Night Warrior would be a better option since it covers all damage types?
    Generally, yes, if you have an odd mix of dmg types that aren't covered by other passives, then NW is fine to cover all dmg types. Here, you still have all of your attacks coming from one of the Tech sets, so Targeting Comp (or even Composure) will generally be better (unless you also want NW's Sneak).

Anyways, the build looks a bit better atm. Evasive w/ adv is an okay threat wipe, but if you want to not have the forced movement anim (and to save 2 adv points), you could just get a normal 100ft threat wipe, like Blinding Light in Elec, Mind Wipe in TP (HC Planner labels it as 50ft, but it's 100ft in-game), or Entrancing in Infernal SN. Also, I'd prob max Follow Through in Ego PSS, since Ego is your main stat here (and leave Sixth Sense at 2/3).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!