test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TELEKINESIS (power) 2.0

spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
edited December 2022 in Suggestions Box
TELEKINESIS (power) 2.0

Since the beginning of time - back when we had to highlight/TK-pick a destructible object and then choose a target to throw it at; to the current version, where an object spawns out of thin air -Telekinesis has seen many different iterations over the years. But the power still looks, plays and feels rather underwhelming, clunky, not at all fluid and dynamic, or even that fun. Overall, it is still such a poor depiction of the power, for all the (undeniable) improvements that have been made.

So. I propose another (and hopefully, final!) go at this power. Please feel free to use this thread to further discuss, suggest, contribute, weight in… about the Telekinesis power in Champions Online, at your heart’s content. All points of view and ideas are welcome. Official word from our Devs would also be very much appreciated.

(Warning: multiple GIFs ahead for illustrative purposes, though most are in spoiler tags. xD)

Concept:
The basis of the power is: mind over matter. Typically, a telekinetic uses their environment to throw objects and enemies around. Failing that, they may choose to directly attack their target’s physical integrity, rip them at the molecular level with the power of their mind.

TELEKINESIS
Through sheer willpower you are able to lift and maneuver objects and people.

TKO1.gif
((I’m told this game is older than God, and probably than CO. Surely, our Telekinesis can do better!?!)) :innocent:

100 foot Ranged Single Target Damage, Disorient and Knockback
Effects
Tap
You lift an object into the air and hurl it at the target.

- This works like the version prior to what’s currently on Live. A single (the largest available) destructible object nearby floats up for a brief moment, then is launched automatically onto the target. No objects are created/spawned.
TKO3.gif
- Automatically defeats low-ranking enemies if a Mass 7 object is thrown.
- Disorients affected targets. Stuns the target if an object with high mass is thrown.
- Uses your Ego to determine what objects you can lift and the damage they deal.
- Additional ranks of this power increase the contribution of your Ego characteristic towards what objects you can lift and how much damage the power deals.
TKO2.gif

*** IF NO LIFTABLE OBJECTS AROUND ***
"Your target is [lifted and] flung in a straight line with great force".

TKT1.gif

Effects
Tap
Lifts a single target (just as briefly) and Knocks them Back hard with a telekinetic pulse.

- Deals Ego damage. The target suffers additional damage from the Knockback effect, and is Disoriented. Base damage is increased as the target builds Knock resistances.
- Should the target be knocked back with sufficient force to hit a wall or destructible objects, they suffer additional damage. Fall damage also applies: should they be pushed off a cliff or ledge, low-ranking enemies are automatically defeated.
TKT2.gif
- Should the target hit others in their path, the primary target suffers additional Ego damage and is Stunned. Secondary targets suffer some damage and are Knocked Down.
TKE.gif
- High-ranking foes cannot be lifted/thrown.
- Additional ranks of this power further increase damage and Knockback distance.
TKT3.gif

*** IF NO LIFTABLE OBJECTS AROUND or KNOCK-IMMUNE ENEMY ***
"Instead, the mentalist strikes the target with pure telekinetic force".

TKB.gif

Effects
Tap
Deals direct damage (Ego) at the target.

- Uses your Ego characteristic and additional Ranks of this power to determine damage.
- Disorients the target.

To recap: throws an object at the target. Failing that: throws the target themselves. High-ranking target that can’t be thrown: blast them! ^^

Suggested FX
Let’s talk visuals!

The animations, VFX and SFX of this power are quite satisfactory, as is. Minimal, but effective.

Back in the day, one of the more frustrating aspects of this power, was that the animation would play out and energy would be consumed, but nothing would happen. Even with the current version on Live now, there’s a sense of slowness, the power feels sluggish and occasionally, just plain weak. The animation also plays relatively out of sync with the effect, as the object is just launched abruptly from wherever it is a moment later. And the spawned destructible object is: 1. Not a great representation of Telekinesis 2. Looks kinda cheap and choppy 3. Random in size and variety, regardless of Ego or Rank, current map or enemy. Nothing feels worse, than coming up with a spoon or Christmas wreath against the Eidolon of Destruction. Heck, against any dang body! :weary:

With the proposed changes, something cool *always* happens. Even against a Cosmic, more than floating numbers, you’ll see an effect on-screen: the “I did something”, and it felt powerful. Telekinesis should feel dynamic, versatile and fun, and its visuals should reflect that.

1)- Lift and Throw effects: a very short float-up of the object or enemy, as the character performs the “pick-up” part of the animation. That conveys your seizing and control of the object, before it is launched when the character extends their arm in the target’s direction. I suggest a subtle, soft energy aura/glow outlining/enveloping the object (think legacy IDF) and some TK dots/particle work. As for the throw and impact, what we currently have on Live looks pretty good, with the usual dots/particle aura trailing behind the object. I’d maybe add a minor aura/emanation effect to the character’s hand, combined with a soft wave-pulse upon release for a sense of grasp, movement and direction:
TKBW.gif

Animation-wise, I’d suggest a slight touch-up on the “throw/release” motion of the arm: have the character push their arm and hand out directly forward; preferably facing the target, too.
TKM.gif
((Played slower for better visualization.))

2)- TK "Bolt": as per the concept, the damage in this case is done directly onto the enemy (something like a Force Snap, for illustration’s sake). However: I do believe a projectile effect might be more appropriate here, keeping with the theme of control, movement and fluidity of the power. So, I’d strongly recommend using Psionic Surge's VFX. It just looks the part, 1000% percent, and you can *really* see it: <3

TKBPS.gif
((This is what it’d look like at Telekinesis Rank 3; visuals scaled down at lower ranks.))

That’s all I've got (I think?).
Don’t forget to comment, like and subscribe!
:grimace:
Spordelia.
Post edited by spordelia on

Comments

• spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Ego as Strength

Originally, additional Ranks in Telekinesis were supposed to supplement your Ego stat (as though it were Strength), to determine what mass/size objects could be lifted and thrown.

In order to pick up an object of Titanic mass using Strength, that value used to be in the 300’s ballpark, IIRC. I had, at one point, built for 320-350 Ego plus Telekinesis Rank 3 for a character, to be able to lift any objects in the game. Currently, last time I tested: you require 500(!) Ego to lift the maximum-sized objects in the game. At *Rank 1* (R2 and R3 don’t make a difference).

I propose a new look at these numbers, not only make them more amenable and in line with Strength, making Telekinesis more usable; but also investing in additional Ranks, worthwhile.
    /addendum
    *reserved*
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,106 Arc User
    Very nicely presented, illustrated, and animated. All of the angles covered, as far as I can see. I APPROVE of this!​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    warcanch wrote: »
    Very nicely presented, illustrated, and animated. All of the angles covered, as far as I can see. I APPROVE of this!​​
    Thank you!!! 🤗
    TMPDKxv.gif

Summoning every last bit of my arcane might, for this suggestion, along with my costume pieces wish list (some of which dating 10+ years), to be implemented in the game, one day. If it seems futile and borderline pathetic feat. humiliating, that’s ‘cause it is. Get on my level, Brenda. 🧙‍♀️ #PoundMeTheWitchDrums

tumblr_nra6vs5fYV1ql5yr7o1_500.gif
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    spordelia wrote: »
    Ego as Strength

Originally, additional Ranks in Telekinesis were supposed to supplement your Ego stat (as though it were Strength), to determine what mass/size objects could be lifted and thrown.

In order to pick up an object of Titanic mass using Strength, that value used to be in the 300’s ballpark, IIRC. I had, at one point, built for 320-350 Ego plus Telekinesis Rank 3 for a character, to be able to lift any objects in the game. Currently, last time I tested: you require 500(!) Ego to lift the maximum-sized objects in the game. At *Rank 1* (R2 and R3 don’t make a difference).

I propose a new look at these numbers, not only make them more amenable and in line with Strength, making Telekinesis more usable; but also investing in additional Ranks, worthwhile.
    /addendum

Interesting findings...

I'm now prompted to re-test this myself as my previous results were that 320 EGO was the maximum required if Rank 3 Telekinesis (Power) was taken.

Because the balance is/was that you only need 320 STR to pick up the heaviest stuff in game.
    edited December 2022
    Once again a very well presented and thought out suggestion! Its always nice to see your suggestions for making CO better on forums!!!

/Signed (obviously :3)
    TELEKINESIS (power) 2.0

TELEKINESIS
    Through sheer willpower you are able to lift and maneuver objects and people.

TKO1.gif
    ((I’m told this game is older than God, and probably than CO. Surely, our Telekinesis can do better!?!)) :innocent:

100 foot Ranged Single Target Damage, Disorient and Knockback
    Effects
    Tap
    You lift an object into the air and hurl it at the target.

- This works like the version prior to what’s currently on Live. A single (the largest available) destructible object nearby floats up for a brief moment, then is launched automatically onto the target. No objects are created/spawned.
    TKO3.gif
    - Automatically defeats low-ranking enemies if a Mass 7 object is thrown.
    - Disorients affected targets. Stuns the target if an object with high mass is thrown.
    - Uses your Ego to determine what objects you can lift and the damage they deal.
    - Additional ranks of this power increase the contribution of your Ego characteristic towards what objects you can lift and how much damage the power deals.

We used to have a version of Telekinesis that did exactly that animation style.

https://youtu.be/NTebbCNM6qU

It was a bit slow but I'd love to see it return tbh, but much faster.
    *** IF NO LIFTABLE OBJECTS AROUND ***
    "Your target is [lifted and] flung in a straight line with great force".

TKT1.gif

Effects
    Tap
    Lifts a single target (just as briefly) and Knocks them Back hard with a telekinetic pulse.

- Deals Ego damage. The target suffers additional damage from the Knockback effect, and is Disoriented. Base damage is increased as the target builds Knock resistances.
    - Should the target be knocked back with sufficient force to hit a wall or destructible objects, they suffer additional damage. Fall damage also applies: should they be pushed off a cliff or ledge, low-ranking enemies are automatically defeated.
    TKT2.gif
    - Should the target hit others in their path, the primary target suffers additional Ego damage and is Stunned. Secondary targets suffer some damage and are Knocked Down.
    TKE.gif
    - High-ranking foes cannot be lifted/thrown.
    - Additional ranks of this power further increase damage and Knockback distance.
    TKT3.gif

I would like to see this, but I do wonder if there'd need to be some new mechanics invented (or copied from somewhere or something) to enable a power to deal extra damage if a target hits a surface.

My instant reaction is YES, but I am also thinking about how it'd work. If it can be the case that enemies struck in this manner turn into damage projectiles that can "hit" destructible objects...that would be awesome! xD

*** IF NO LIFTABLE OBJECTS AROUND or KNOCK-IMMUNE ENEMY ***
    "Instead, the mentalist strikes the target with pure telekinetic force".

TKB.gif

Effects
    Tap
    Deals direct damage (Ego) at the target.

- Uses your Ego characteristic and additional Ranks of this power to determine damage.
    - Disorients the target.

To recap: throws an object at the target. Failing that: throws the target themselves. High-ranking target that can’t be thrown: blast them! ^^

Suggested FX
    Let’s talk visuals!

The animations, VFX and SFX of this power are quite satisfactory, as is. Minimal, but effective.

Back in the day, one of the more frustrating aspects of this power, was that the animation would play out and energy would be consumed, but nothing would happen. Even with the current version on Live now, there’s a sense of slowness, the power feels sluggish and occasionally, just plain weak. The animation also plays relatively out of sync with the effect, as the object is just launched abruptly from wherever it is a moment later. And the spawned destructible object is: 1. Not a great representation of Telekinesis 2. Looks kinda cheap and choppy 3. Random in size and variety, regardless of Ego or Rank, current map or enemy. Nothing feels worse, than coming up with a spoon or Christmas wreath against the Eidolon of Destruction. Heck, against any dang body! :weary:

With the proposed changes, something cool *always* happens. Even against a Cosmic, more than floating numbers, you’ll see an effect on-screen: the “I did something”, and it felt powerful. Telekinesis should feel dynamic, versatile and fun, and its visuals should reflect that.

1)- Lift and Throw effects: a very short float-up of the object or enemy, as the character performs the “pick-up” part of the animation. That conveys your seizing and control of the object, before it is launched when the character extends their arm in the target’s direction. I suggest a subtle, soft energy aura/glow outlining/enveloping the object (think legacy IDF) and some TK dots/particle work. As for the throw and impact, what we currently have on Live looks pretty good, with the usual dots/particle aura trailing behind the object. I’d maybe add a minor aura/emanation effect to the character’s hand, combined with a soft wave-pulse upon release for a sense of grasp, movement and direction:
    TKBW.gif

Animation-wise, I’d suggest a slight touch-up on the “throw/release” motion of the arm: have the character push their arm and hand out directly forward; preferably facing the target, too.
    TKM.gif
    ((Played slower for better visualization.))

2)- TK "Bolt": as per the concept, the damage in this case is done directly onto the enemy (something like a Force Snap, for illustration’s sake). However: I do believe a projectile effect might be more appropriate here, keeping with the theme of control, movement and fluidity of the power. So, I’d strongly recommend using Psionic Surge's VFX. It just looks the part, 1000% percent, and you can *really* see it: <3

TKBPS.gif
    ((This is what it’d look like at Telekinesis Rank 3; visuals scaled down at lower ranks.))

That’s all I've got (I think?).
    Don’t forget to comment, like and subscribe!
    :grimace:
    Spordelia.

clapping-icegif-11.gif
    Once again a very well presented and thought out suggestion! Its always nice to see your suggestions for making CO better on forums!!!

/Signed (obviously :3)

We used to have a version of Telekinesis that did exactly that animation style.

https://youtu.be/NTebbCNM6qU

It was a bit slow but I'd love to see it return tbh, but much faster.

Thanks!!! :smiley:

Honestly, I kinda liked it too. The power felt more interactive and fun – though it was obviously flawed in other ways and especially as the game became faster-paced. I’m proposing this brief float-up of the object before being flung, which, with the right animation and VFX, I think would convey a similar feel, and the TKer’s grip and manipulation of that object or person.

Old Telekinesis (in its fully baked and actualized form), I have to imagine would look something like this, more like what we see here on these gifs, than the current version on Live. The plot was lost, there.:(
    edited April 2023
    New year, new lair, new lockbox... how about another look into #Telekinesis? :innocent:

TKCar.gif
    Ego as Strength

Anything new on this? :confused: