test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

revamp scoreboard code (manipulation)

omnius#0640 omnius Posts: 204 Arc User
edited March 2023 in Suggestions Box
Posting as a suggestion rather than in bugs section because I'm not sure whether this classifies as a bug (possibly exploit?) or a loophole in the code that's being manipulated. During my observations using Advanced Combat Tracker to parse Cosmic open missions (Kiga, Qwyjibo, Telio) I've noticed a trend where some players have discovered that utilizing an array of mismatched powers/devices etc deliberately in a manner which they know will manipulate the scoreboard into giving them consistent top placings. However, when their characters are parsed against others not doing this, the results show quite differently. Just to be perfectly clear, these are not themed builds, nor are they in any way more helpful to teammates, they're a deliberate manipulation of code.

Why is this a problem? Because your job as a DPS player is to DPS. Higher DPS = shorter encounter = faster rewards = less opportunity for mistakes that could compromise the success of that encounter. An individual reached out to me in the game when I pointed it out and asked me not to talk about this yesterday which I found rather suspect so apologies for any ruffled feathers, but I feel obligated to bring this out into the light so that these encounters can be completed in a more efficient way that benefits everyone, rather than a selfish few. And of course you can see how this problem can worsen to the detriment of everyone in the community at large as those who engage in this practice pass it along to others of similar mentality.
Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris

Comments

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Even better would be if you posted a list of the tecninues/tactics being used. If everyone knows what they are and also starts doing them, then (and probably only then) will the devs pay attention and change things. As long as it is a secret known only to a few the devs will not deal with it.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    And where does scoreboard actually affects on? Rewards? Size of ones epeen? Royal titles?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    The 2nd would be my guess ;)
    Unholy Consult | Pantheon | Lazarus Frost | Sword Saint | Gammatron | Blackguard | Imperator | Sardaukar | Risen Osiris
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    Since I think my question more aptly fits here, at least by the title of the thread, I'll ask it here.

Why do the player's scores FULLY reset to Zero when Kigatilik does a wipe of the group (he fully resets)?

Qwyjibo and Teleiosaur do NOT reset the player's scores upon a wipe/reset.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 138 Arc User
    you noticed a trend yet its a discovery, a discovery that for some reason you're not talking about in detail

also you call it a manipulation of code but once again fail to give any evidence on that part so.... what're you trying to even say here

also weren't you the guy who didn't care about score at cosmics why are you still posting about scoreboards if you don't care
  • Options
    deviskrahdeviskrah Posts: 8 Arc User
    It's a scoreboard, not a damage meter, it tracks actions used in the encounter, Damage gets a very large affinity of the score, but other things, such as taking damage, and healing damage factor in to that. If people are using abilities on a dps that do things other then dps, and it is giving them a higher score it's because what they are doing is still proccing activity for the OM. You can't take that away, or diminish it any more then it already is without pushing out tanks, and supports from receiving rewards, but I digress, the answer is to remove scoreboards, that way five people can just spam links to their parse after every OM instead.
  • Options
    areeeareee Posts: 834 Arc User
    Remove scoreboard. Would be nice to have a character who's skills don't score high get full rewards. Rather than modify their build just to get above minimum score.
  • Options
    you noticed a trend yet its a discovery, a discovery that for some reason you're not talking about in detail

also you call it a manipulation of code but once again fail to give any evidence on that part so.... what're you trying to even say here

also weren't you the guy who didn't care about score at cosmics why are you still posting about scoreboards if you don't care

Aren't you the guy living up to the name I gave you in chat? "Sgt Cryhoff"? There's a difference between caring about scores and pointing out issues, which seems to escape you *WHOOOSH*. Not my circus or monkeys anymore anyway, I quit CO to play games newer than lol2009furryweebfest. I did what I came here to do which was to bring attention to it before I left. I'm also the reason why crushing damage debuff sources got switched from shared to individual =) yw
  • Options
    sergeantmahoff1sergeantmahoff1 Posts: 138 Arc User

Aren't you the guy living up to the name I gave you in chat? "Sgt Cryhoff"? There's a difference between caring about scores and pointing out issues, which seems to escape you *WHOOOSH*. Not my circus or monkeys anymore anyway, I quit CO to play games newer than lol2009furryweebfest. I did what I came here to do which was to bring attention to it before I left. I'm also the reason why crushing damage debuff sources got switched from shared to individual =) yw

cringe

• Options
    metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    I sort of noticed that while in minor situations. I figured it out uy realizing I was gaining argo just from doing my sets up well. I came to figure that's how the game register points. But who really care about a score board?... unless it increases my chance for a drop i wouldn't.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix