test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs, about Clarence's DoT AoE

Why haven't you removed the AoE's Anti-Pet/Sidekick code? That DoT will do about 5.4k damage, unblocked, on my low resistance character. However at level 40 my Sidekick: Tommy has over 15k health and got 1shot. The DoT didn't even get a chance to trigger and he didn't get a chance to self-heal. Just gone.

I can understand the summon pets not having enough health. However that is Clearly an Underhanded bit of cheating.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    areee wrote: »
    Why haven't you removed the AoE's Anti-Pet/Sidekick code? That DoT will do about 5.4k damage, unblocked, on my low resistance character. However at level 40 my Sidekick: Tommy has over 15k health and got 1shot. The DoT didn't even get a chance to trigger and he didn't get a chance to self-heal. Just gone.

I can understand the summon pets not having enough health. However that is Clearly an Underhanded bit of cheating.

Clarence's AOE is meant to be blocked since it deals HP damage initially and then deals a HP based Damage Over Time effect (punishment for not blocking).

The objective is basically like all other AoEs similar to it, a mechanics attention check. If you aren't blocking it you'll be punished for it.

Pets in general can be resummoned. I do think something like a Loyal Sidekick should probably get something to protect them however.

But that might entail a broad look at the Pet AI System, which would hopefully reduce the amount of pets a player can have so pets can get better.
  • Options
    areeeareee Posts: 841 Arc User
    That doesn't change the Fact a Sidekick with higher Resistance than my character takes 4-5x the damage I do if I don't block.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    That doesn't change the Fact a Sidekick with higher Resistance than my character takes 4-5x the damage I do if I don't block.

Well, it actually does explain why they take such high damage.

Nothing anyone says here will change it from being a fact however. Its a mechanic to dissuade Onslaught Supervillains and Pets and Sidekicks just happen to be cannon fodder that gets caught in the blast.

HP damage ignores resistance/shields/dodge+avoidance etc. It looks at the target's HP, and deals a set amount of damage based on a percentage of their max HP.

The only thing it checks for is Blocking.

Since Sidekicks can't block...that's where the high damage is coming from.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Nothing anyone says here will change it from being a fact however. Its a mechanic to dissuade Onslaught Supervillains and Pets and Sidekicks just happen to be cannon fodder that gets caught in the blast.

HP damage ignores resistance/shields/dodge+avoidance etc. It looks at the target's HP, and deals a set amount of damage based on a percentage of their max HP.

Nope. Did some checking. If you're using an OV it uses another ability on you.
    First image is me taking unblocked damage, as well as 2 of my pets.
    the second is me taking damage as an OV.
    Edit: Forgot to mention. AoRP gives me 61% resistance and my Gremlin and Agate 120% resistance. 50% resistance from Commander Spec.

The attack is Mecha Blast for players and pets. It's Unknown Ability for OV.

hli59ys83kah.jpg

z3c4k8gyxjtl.jpg

• Options

Nope. Did some checking. If you're using an OV it uses another ability on you.
    First image is me taking unblocked damage, as well as 2 of my pets.
    the second is me taking damage as an OV.
    Edit: Forgot to mention. AoRP gives me 61% resistance and my Gremlin and Agate 120% resistance. 50% resistance from Commander Spec.

The attack is Mecha Blast for players and pets. It's Unknown Ability for OV.

hli59ys83kah.jpg

z3c4k8gyxjtl.jpg

So it seems like I wasn't clear enough, and I apologise. (This should hopefully make my previous message make more sense)

The Mecha Blast, is a % HP attack near as I can tell. It will deal a SET % of your maximum HP as damage to you if the blast isn't blocked.

I believe this is reduced to 1% of your max HP if you block the attack.

This means that AoRP and everything else, does not matter for the purposes of the blast.

This also explains why you take such high damage as an OV as I previously mentioned.
  • Options
    Still doesn't mesh according to the numbers. It dealt less than half my max health with a Known power as a Player. Then it delt 2.1m of 2.5m of my full health as an OV. Then it deals Over 100% of pet health.

If it was a % as you say, then I should have been 1shot as an OV. Players and Pets get hit by Mecha Smash. OV's get hit by another attack in place of the Smash.

• Options
    Still doesn't mesh according to the numbers. It dealt less than half my max health with a Known power as a Player. Then it delt 2.1m of 2.5m of my full health as an OV. Then it deals Over 100% of pet health.

If it was a % as you say, then I should have been 1shot as an OV. Players and Pets get hit by Mecha Smash. OV's get hit by another attack in place of the Smash.

Could easily be that for players it hits a set percentage unblocked (you can work this out). For Pets and Summons its an autokill.

But for OV's it deals a much higher percentage. It is possible that it is set so that anything over 1 million HP will instantly get a much higher percentage.

It is possible that the same power shows up differently for OVs than it does for Players because it is called something else internally that isn't registering for the Combat Log.

Either way, I've always taken those sorts of attacks as cues to resummon whatever I have out. The exception and the problematic part of it is how it affects Loyal Sidekicks.

So I do think something specifically could be done for those, but for pets etc...unless pets gained hefty cooldowns...there's no compelling reason aside from convenience to have that attack affect them differently.
  • Options
    *sigh* Never played a summoner type I take it.

We'll just agree to disagree.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    *sigh* Never played a summoner type I take it.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Oh I have lol.

I've had a harem of pets before and I don't enjoy Pets with their current AI. You can force them to behave but that's about it.

When you play long enough you accept that Pets will just be something you resummon in larger/higher level content but are absolutely fine in most instanced content.

When I took my Petmaster to Cosmics, I just made sure I can actually contribute via my aura and/or healing and damage because I knew I would have to resummon pets every 10 or so seconds, wasn't a travesty.