test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help with a Heavy Weapon Tank build concept

renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
edited December 2022 in Builds and Roles
I eventually want to be able to main tank cosmics and other content. Here's what I have so far, but I'll be honest, I run out of energy so fast. I feels like the Energy Unlock isn't doing much to help. Maybe I'm spoiled from being a support and just have to get used to using the energy builder all the time?

Right now the character is level 38, but I'm still not sure what to pick for the other powers. Anything would work really, I was thinking about a self rez and/or ally rez to help lessen the work load of healers (being primarily a healer, it helps sometimes when things are dicey). But maybe there's something else that's worth taking.

The theme is a heavy hitting Samurai, the Heavy Weapon attacks are perfect for what I'm after which is why I'm not using the single blade nor dual blade. The only hard limit for the build is Heavy Weapon. Any other powers work for the theme, like magic, tech, elemental, all of it could work with this concept.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
v3.45:38

Super Stats
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 12: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 18: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
Level 21: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Bludgeon
Level 1: Cleave (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
Level 6: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Decimate (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 11: Guard (Rank 2)
Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire, Challenge!)
Level 17: Enrage
Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Resurgence (Unchained)
Level 29: Pulverizer
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Chain Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Swift Skating (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
Strength: Swole (3/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Brutality (1/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    Well, tanking stuff like Cosmics can entail lots of blocking, and that can provide you w/ much energy as is. It can be a very different energy scenario compared to just normal combat before max level, where you aren't really doing that. Some cost discount rating on gear could also help a bit, as could having more Rec.

Rezes are iffy for tanks in CO. Ally rezes require you to not take dmg while channeling (save for Celestial's Ult, iirc, which is on a long cd), and that can be problematic if you're tanking. Using a self-rez means that you've lost all threat by dying, and you can't quickly take threat back in CO.

The build itself is less of an issue vs. knowing how to tackle each fight, and that'll just take some practice and guidance from other vet cosmic tanks (can't help you much there myself). That said, you prob still want to have Annihilate (+ Vind's Focused Strikes) in there for higher boss threat/dmg (and it still attempts to knock on tap or short charge). I'd prob also use Eruption w/ adv instead of Cleave to quickly put up CFlames and more reliably proc Enrage/Pulv (and CFlames can boost Annihilate's dmg further via it's special adv). You'll also prob want a R3 block, and if you need more free adv points then you could un-rank the lesser-used travel power. I'd also prob get Elusive in Warden (instead of Slaughter, esp if replacing Cleave) as well as Str Mastery. I may also trade a point in Swole for 2/2 in Brutality for Str PSS.

Oh yea, and you could also replace the lunge w/ Vicious Descent and its Bold Entrance adv, if using all HW attacks.

Good luck on your tanking journey, either way.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    Thanks, I appreciate your help as always.

I couldn't think of what else to get so I just went with a self rez. And you're right, after thinking about how long it takes to pop off an ally rez, as a tank I'll be getting hit too much for that. but I figure a self rez wouldn't hurt for alerts or when off tanking maybe.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Bludgeon
    Level 1: Eruption (Magma Burst, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Decimate (Nailed to the Ground, Challenge!)
    Level 11: Guard (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Enrage
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Unchained)
    Level 29: Pulverizer
    Level 32: Annihilate (Scorching Blade, To The Heavens, Challenge!)
    Level 35: Thundering Return
    Level 38: Devastating Strike (Commanding Presence)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Chain Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Swift Skating

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (1/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (1/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Devices
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    Yea, you could still potentially make use of a self-rez in some other contexts, and at least you don't have to rank it, so you can keep one if you really want (maybe make it the last power/adv trained if you decide to replace it down the line). Also, Devastating Strike is a decent Ult, since it also has the threat adv, but if it's too costly or slow then you could just get Unleashed Rage (w/ its threat adv) instead. I may also just get R2 in Annihilate over its KD adv (if you don't want to KB trash w/ it, then you can build up knock immunity w/ Eruptions and Arc of Ruins first), and you can take out the Challenge adv on the lunge to give you the extra point for it.

There could be other tweaks you could make to your own preferences, but overall the build looks like a decent foundation. Hope it works out, either way.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll try those out. This build is taking some getting used to. I guess It'll play better once it's at 40 and has decent gear
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,434 Arc User
    Probably you only need Conviction or Endorphin Rush. If you are doing end game stuff you should have healers to keep you topped up. You might find it more useful to sub one of those out for Brimstone which has various useful advantages. Vicious Descent would be better than Decimate since it has that nice Reckless buff.

For my tanks I usually have a non-Defender's Glove secondary and a couple pieces of Merc gear (Off w/out any challenge mods and Def) that I load with mods for whatever Form I am using when I am at cosmics so that I can run in Hybrid and contribute more damage without risking drawing aggro. Also gives you more energy for soloing stuff like QWZ.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!