test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returnee - Elec\Force Shielding?

harkinharkin Posts: 8 Arc User
Hey, recently came back after a hiatus as i usually do and was gonna make an Electricty build.

First i was thinking Might or Wind, but i didnt like many of the Wind powers, and Might dont seem to mix well with Elec?

Then i noticed they have reworked Force, and i instantly liked the force bubbles and shielding, so now im wondering what role Force shields fall under, is it just dps with sideffect, or can you actually make a tank of some kind? I didnt see any way to heal with force or lightning (bar the short range aoe heal thing for NI) So im guessing Tanking might be the other option outside of dps? Is the Force ultimate that puts a dome down, actually viable for anything? Probably the coolest ult ive seen so far that isnt pure damage. (Shame about the long CD on it though)

Regardless i want to have Elecetricity powers in there, and mix it with some of the shield support stuff if possible. Preferebly long range stuff, not sure i liked the shortrange things, but that Force Lightning move (that has a literal unlimited power adv\) that spreads out was hella cool.

Excuse the long rant.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    What role do you primarily want to play in a group? Force and/or Elec powers can be utilized in any role (even if just as basic attacks), and Force does have some decent support potential (mostly w/ pre-shielding). Could also be nice to know what sort of content you plan on doing mostly. Also, if you do want to go w/ the Tank route, then prepare to not be able to stay at long-range as a tank in many cases, as most mobs will want to get up-close. Redirect Force (formerly a normal Force power, now retooled to be a new Ult) is okay for group support, if that's what you're after (though it kinda bucks the trend of most Ults being taken for their dmg and/or for Overpower, and it also puts any Active Offenses or Defenses on cd).

Also, the Force Lightning power you referenced is Electric Current, though I prob wouldn't get the Unlimited Power adv, as you prob don't need it (and it costs 3 adv points besdies). Its AoE stun adv can be okay, though, and yeah it's limited to 50ft max reach.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    Im not sure what role i had in mind to be honest, i dont mind Melee range if it means i can go tank i guess? I just liked the overall theme of the force shields and if its plausible to build around that and still sorta main Electricity? I guess id pick the short range ones if i wanted to stick with tanking?

As for content i wanna do, im not so sure, for starters id probably just wanna use it to level to max, and then i guess some group stuff? I havent been in the "endgame" scene for CO for a long time, and its not really a reason i come back to play, i just like doing different thematic super heroes and play with them i guess?

Thanks for the information, so i can still be viable for all roles despite playing Elec\Force? How would a healer look in that context, would it just use a bunch of non elec\force powers to fill the role? I'd prefer to stick with Elec\Force if i can, and if that means only dps, then thats fine. Force Shielding from the force side is what i wanna use though, but Force Cascade or Crushing Waves for some fun knockbacks would be fun if it fits.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Well, for a Force/Elec healer I'd prob use Force's shielding abilities and Elec Siphon, and that could cover most cases. You'd still want something like Iniquity as a dependable normal ally heal, a proper Support passive, and some rezes, but you don't necc need to outsource to other sets that much. Anyways, most content that's not endgame tends to be pretty easy in CO, so you could prob get by w/ any build and any role in most cases, though being a dps is def the most efficient way to level (while tanking and esp healing tend to be much slower).

Although you can't really be viable for all roles in CO at once (again unless it's really easy content anyways), a solid compromise you could get there is a dual-passive build that swaps between two different slotted passives (ex. offensive and defensive) and the Role (ex. Ranged DPS vs. Tank) to change your focus to be decent at one of two role options. However, that takes some setting up in the character sheet's 'Build' tab to work (and a willingness to swap in the first place). You could also just take the old Hybrid-AoPM route if you just want to be well-rounded w/o much extra effort, though Hybrid-AoPM builds won't be too welcome in high-end content that caters more to specializing (and Hybrid auras can interfere w/ stronger Support auras). Since you don't seem to care about the high-end, then Hybrid-AoPM may just be the way to go here. Here's an example build, though there's many different possibilities (and trust the edited exported text here over the link, since the recent Force revamp hasn't been updated in the HC Planner quite yet):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Hybrid)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Glacier (Dex: 8, Con: 10, Int: 10, End: 10)
    Level 6: Investigator (Int: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Coordinated (Dex: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Electric Bolt
    Level 1: Electrical Current (Rank 2, Bad Wiring)
    Level 6: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 14: Ball Lightning (Triplicity)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Field Inversion)
    Level 26: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Electrical Siphon (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Force Eruption (Field Expulsion)
    Level 35: Force Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

The self-rez at the end could be replaced w/ something else, if desired.

It has the main backbone of an Elec build: keeping Ball Lit up in general (for NI and Ionic Reverb), using Elec Current for AoE, and using LArc for single-target. It also has the option, though, of playing around w/ Force a bit, via some special advs. You can use Protection Field on yourself pre-pull to give FC some more burst dmg as a big AoE opener (though mind the large knockback), and/or expend your own Protection Field to shield nearby players (by fully-charging Force Eruption w/ your shield up). I also stuck Elec Siphon in there for an extra AoE/self-heal, though keep in mind that you have to be w/in 25ft of a target w/ NI to make it work (can get Conviction instead if you just want a normal self-heal that can be used w/o stipulations, and the Reverence adv can give it a small AoE component around you). Gears mostly for Int, w/ some Con.

-

Now, Force has recently been revamped pretty heavily, and if you really wanted to dive deeper into its newer mechanics then I'd prob just make a committed Force build for that (having to also have Elec powers and potentially tank or healing powers from other sets can interfere w/ that focus). A dps build is prob still the best from an efficiency standpoint in casual content, but you could go w/ Hybrid-AoPM for that sort of setup too.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Thanks, i guess ill check in on a full force build aswell then to take advantage of the force bubbles and stuff. I'll try the above for elec though. What would a force build look like to take advantage of its shielding the fullest? It still fills the dps role i take it?

Edit: Since Force is so new with the revamp, i guess there isnt much info\builds out there for it yet, also will more power sets get updates like this in the future or was force an outlier?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Powerset revamps have been happening for years, though not at a fast pace- Force was just the most recent one. Anyways, it all depends on what goals you have for a build. Using Force's mechanics 'to the fullest' could mean either using its main shield effects for burst dps purposes (mainly w/ FC's Field Inversion), or maximizing the shield amount for support- and they are pretty different approaches. If you wanted an example of a Force Support that can use shields defensively or offensively, then you can check out my build from an older thread on it here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1217464/force-support-healer

--

Here's a dps build as another example, since dps builds tend to be the most straightforward and have the most leeway w/ power slots (that, and it can be fun to see bigger numbers for a set like Force and FC):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 1: Force Blast (Demolishing Blast, Shield Generator)
    Level 6: Force Control
    Level 8: Kinetic Manipulation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Crushing Wave (Rank 2, Barrier_Rank 3, Disruptive Force)
    Level 14: Impact Force
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Force Cascade (Focus Point, Field Inversion)
    Level 23: Singularity Bomb (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Force Geyser (Entropy Field)
    Level 29: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Force Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: ??/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (2/3)
    Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

The open power slots can be w/e ya want (like a threat wipe, an Ult, and/or a self-rez, etc).

For single-targets, its basic rotation is: Force Geyser -> charged FBlast -> charged FC, repeat (Geyser puts up Power Shield on the foe, FBlast puts up Demolish and a shield on you, and FC can detonate both). For AoE, Singularity Bomb can help group up enemies, while Crushing Wave can be your main attack (can opt for either R3 for more dmg from it, or Barrier for a nice self-shield when using it). Gears mostly for End, w/ some Con and Ego_Rec.

-

Keep in mind that you could also make a Hybrid-AoPM build out of any of these examples (just change the role to Hybrid and the slotted passive to AoPM).

(and I don't want to have to keep giving builds here, esp since it's kind of a PITA to edit out a build for Force on the HC planner atm)
  • Options
    Thanks again for the help, ill check out that other thread aswell.