test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Create a Side Kick

Okay before you say no hear me out.
This system would use the same as the Nemesis system only you would create a loyal side kick.
On launch each account would get one token to create a loyal side kick if they wish another it would only be able to be gotten in the zen store with a token called create a side kick.
Now as Loyal side kicks in the zen cost 1500 zen create a side kick would cost 2000 zen.
So what do you think?, could it work.

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    People have asked for customizable sidekicks over the years. Not happened yet. Not likely to ever happen.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • zemos23#7964 zemos23 Posts: 6 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    People have asked for customizable sidekicks over the years. Not happened yet. Not likely to ever happen.

That is because more than likely they were asking in a non-profitable way, the way I've proposed could actually turn a big profit.
    Because like I said on launch each account would get one "Create a Side Kick" Token and it would be on one character so after that if they want more they have to buy it on the zen store.
    Well, if you use the forum search function and search for sidekicks you will find score upon score of old discussions on this topic. Why not take some time and have a look? People also wanted customizable vehicles (before they were nerfed to just functioning as travel devices) and the extent of "customization" provided was a few mods (half useless) and weapons (half useless). Bascially, the devs don't seem to want players to have much in the way of powers/abilities that don't reisde in the actual hero.

Personally, I would't buy sidekicks and hope to get much use out of them. The AI that controls them is braindead stupid (something the devs also know, and also don't want to tackle, or it would have been done by now).

Quite often players will claim that their ideas for a change to the game will result in amazing infusions of cash, but this argument doesn't seem to work on the devs. Now, if a player offered to directly pay a dev cold hard cash for something they want to see in the game ... ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User

That is because more than likely they were asking in a non-profitable way, the way I've proposed could actually turn a big profit.
    Because like I said on launch each account would get one "Create a Side Kick" Token and it would be on one character so after that if they want more they have to buy it on the zen store.

I'm not against the suggestion but I do think it would devalue all of the device sidekicks that are already available. I'm not sure the Devs would want to work on something that would diminish the work already done. Plus there's the copyright issue. I'm not sure if they'd have to monitor sidekicks, like they do players, to make sure there's no copyright clones (Robin sidekicks, etc..).
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    I would like a Middle Ground

Being able to edit the costumes of Existing HUMANOID sidekicks so it won't devalue old sidekicks

for Example I like the POWERS of Loyal Sidekick: Zettabyte but I absolutely hate his Costume and I would prefer if he fit my Characters' theme better

This applies to a lot of sidekicks, some are ugly and some are just mannequins for the Lockbox costume sets!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!

I'm not against the suggestion but I do think it would devalue all of the device sidekicks that are already available. I'm not sure the Devs would want to work on something that would diminish the work already done. Plus there's the copyright issue. I'm not sure if they'd have to monitor sidekicks, like they do players, to make sure there's no copyright clones (Robin sidekicks, etc..).

Well about copyrights they are not liable for anything a player dose other than ingame harassment.
    Other wise DCUO would have been sued a million times over for all the people running around with Marvel Comics character look a likes and names.
    But I understand why they wouldn't even want the hassle, because characters like the Phantom, the Shadow are actually open use but that gets confusing as it all goes into copyright limits and such.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    It could work.
    But when you actually realize, what it would take to have a even semiworking feature like this.
    You just get a second computer, make a second account, create a character, make some keybinds, put a second keyboard next to the one you use, set the sidekick to follow you and start playing.
    *balletdances away*
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rojan1987rojan1987 Posts: 37 Arc User
    I would like to see a eagle or a hawk as a sidekick
    avianos wrote: »

Being able to edit the costumes of Existing HUMANOID sidekicks so it won't devalue old sidekicks

for Example I like the POWERS of Loyal Sidekick: Zettabyte but I absolutely hate his Costume and I would prefer if he fit my Characters' theme better

This applies to a lot of sidekicks, some are ugly and some are just mannequins for the Lockbox costume sets!

Yeah I agree with you on all of that, what they should do at the very least is make a token that allows you to edit the sidekicks costume.
    Also what they could do to make my suggestion work and not devalue the existing sidekicks is only allow you to chose two attacks for your created side kick as the loyal sidekicks use three different attacks.
    Thus making the loyal sidekicks better only difference is you would get to pick two attacks chose how they look and their name.
  • renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
    At the very least it'd be nice to edit the colors on the current side kicks we can use so they can match our characters a little better
    renegade0 wrote: »
    At the very least it'd be nice to edit the colors on the current side kicks we can use so they can match our characters a little better

Not going to happen because of the same reasons we can't recolor vehicles to match our costumes.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    (omit) I have a more serious implementation idea.
    Post edited by metalheart#4270 on
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
    Since Musk is too busy with Twitter that ain't happening.
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited November 2022
    Since Musk is too busy with Twitter that ain't happening.

Not if we slow fall a bus of a bridge. Then enter an icy space x to convince him Twitter comes second to CO.

Selfishly I only need my main as a sidekick really. That's his thing as the support force ghost character who carries asf.

Maybe

My vision is a in-game/limited version of the same system the devs use to implement sidekicks. A little do-it-yourself program so to speak.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    avianos wrote: »

This seems like a good idea to me.

Keep the powers. Keep the name. Let the players pay for a costume change.

Looking at fire-type sidekicks (my "main" is fire, so I am going to go there) I have two choices: Rex and Blaise.

Let me change Blaise's costume to fit my hero better. And then they can make a male fire-using sidekick with a different power assortment later on. Blaise would be the "female fire sidekick", this other guy would be the "male fire sidekick", and people could change the costumes to fit their heroes.

The there would be the third type, and possibly others. This is where Rex would be.

I wouldn't argue that Rex should be able to become a "normal" super-sidekick", so that creates a category for animals.

So that makes for three types of sidekick (male, female, animal) for every basic power set (that is, that applies effects that are useful to a set of powers).

In addition to that there could be some "combo sidekicks" that could work with multiple types. A heavy weapons sidekick that mixes some fire in, a spellcasting sidekick that mixes in some single-blade attacks, an archer that has some martial arts attacks, etc.
    Those could be used for procs in multiple power sets (stuns and clinging flames for the HW/Fire guy, for example), and, of course, any sidekick could be selected by people that want to deal damage types outside of what their hero uses for perks.

Anyway, point being, there would still be a great many potential sidekicks to put in lockboxes or offer as rewards for some event or another while allowing players more freedom in design to get their sidekicks the look that they want.

And it can even be monetized.
    100 Zen for a token that allows you to make a single sidekick costume change, or maybe 500 Zen that just opens up costume changes for a specific sidekick forever after. All at the normal resource cost for costume changes, of course.
    I guess, given how bad the sidekick AI is, I don't understand the attraction of sidekicks. They usually aren't all that useful in combat. Is it just that players want more dress up/costuming options? Is it a hope that if they can wheedle the devs into giving them sidekick costume options now that sometime, 10 years out, they'll tackle the more pressing AI issue?
    JwLmWoa.png
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    I guess, given how bad the sidekick AI is, I don't understand the attraction of sidekicks. They usually aren't all that useful in combat. Is it just that players want more dress up/costuming options? Is it a hope that if they can wheedle the devs into giving them sidekick costume options now that sometime, 10 years out, they'll tackle the more pressing AI issue?

I am not a min-maxer. Maybe I am missing some super-ultra-amazing device that would send my DPS through the roof.
    Maybe I should replace X with Y and A with B and I would top the charts and single-handedly save Dino fights that would otherwise fail the DPS checks.

Maybe. But I doubt it.

But for the most part? A sidekick is a boost in combat, and I figure they can be a big boost to young up-and-coming tanks and healers.

They are also, as I mentioned in my previous post, a way to get certain perks, or certainly get them a little faster than a character might otherwise.

And for people that are more into character backgrounds, a sidekick, for whatever flaws, is still a sidekick and can be incorporated into the character's story; The hero of light tied to the hero of darkness (a celestial character or sidekick with a darkness sidekick or character). An alien "sheriff" and their "deputy" here to enforce galactic law on Earth. A super-sorcerer and their apprentice. That sort of thing.

And sure, I can think of how such a thing might make more costume pieces more useful to more players, encouraging people to want to unlock them even if they do not see them as useful to their actual heroes.

I guess. The only time I find them at all useful is to take heat of an not fully geared lvl 40 healer. The rest of the time it feels like they are more in the way than anything else. The cause problems or die quickly at cosmics and wander off and attack things in the QWZ that I don't want attacked.
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited November 2022
    Let me refine my suggestion on implementing this and help explain this suggestion.

I would suggest a PLAYER SIDEKICK CREATOR and STORE That allows players to do as such to be sold at 2000 zen price. The player can design and save as many sidekicks as they like but the still have to purchase any created devices saved.

How we go about doing this?

1. Enter sidekick creator vender (Like the Nemesis system but a little different)
    2. Design costume
    3. Choose a pre made powerset based on available.
    4. Save the file and Upload to store
    5. (Your device is waiting in Store) Click open the the store in other flap
    6. Purchase at zen cost
    7. Put the device in tray and use it.

Will it be a messy store?

No. All created sidekicks would be private to the player that created them. All the generated profits would go towards the game. The player still has to buy each at the zen price. They can delete the saved file at anytime.

What about call backs?

Redesign Tokens

The Store has 3 sections.

1. Created Sidekick - cost - 2000 zen
    2. Redesign Token - cost - 500 zen
    3. New Issues - cost - Redesign Token and (Created Sidekick Device/ Default Created Sidekick Device)

New Issues

New Issues Store is a copy of Created Sidekick store but instead the price is contents of your inventory.

It consumes the old Sidekick device plus the Redesign Token. That is ONLY when you decide to purchase your edited device.

What about No Nos?

This is part of the reason for the existence of New Issues. Any sidekick called back moderation after inspection for breaking ToS will be turned to a 'Default Created Sidekick Device' automatically while also receiving a Redesign Token in inventory. It comes along with a friendly warning that what particularly ToS has been breached.

The 'Default Created Sidekick Device' nor is the 'Created Sidekick Device' are normal sidekick devices. So only those should work in that particular store.

You will need these two items (Device and Token) in your inventory to buy from New Issues. A simple information box will simply tell the play to keep these two devices till they are ready to purchase.

Don't know how much more simpler I can explain this.
    Post edited by metalheart#4270 on
  • renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
    yeah i figured. Even glitched and missing costume pieces

I main healers, they are extremely useful. They give me more damage output during cosmics so i can focus on healing and keeping people who don't block alive. And when I have to do solo missions, it turns a 30 minute session into a 10-15 minute or less one.

Being able to do even a color change to them would be great.
  • areeeareee Posts: 827 Arc User
    I guess. The only time I find them at all useful is to take heat of an not fully geared lvl 40 healer. The rest of the time it feels like they are more in the way than anything else. The cause problems or die quickly at cosmics and wander off and attack things in the QWZ that I don't want attacked.

I tend to run support characters. Low DPS. Usually pet summoners. Sidekicks are my Captain level summon, who takes 5m coffee breaks every 15m, the lazy bum. Still, being able to make my own animal sidekick out of all the animals currently in game and added just for the system metalheart explained above would have my wallet flying open.
  • venarravenarra Posts: 8 Arc User
    Okay before you say no hear me out.
    This system would use the same as the Nemesis system only you would create a loyal side kick.
    On launch each account would get one token to create a loyal side kick if they wish another it would only be able to be gotten in the zen store with a token called create a side kick.
    Now as Loyal side kicks in the zen cost 1500 zen create a side kick would cost 2000 zen.
    So what do you think?, could it work.

I like it. Just call it "Freeform Sidekick"

Only thing needed is a "Support/Hybrid" option in the Sidekick Creation so DPS/Tank characters can call a healer for solo work. But that might be covered in the "Sorcery", "Darkness", and "Telepathy" builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dikawolfdikawolf Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2023
    The reason that CoH didn't do it was once explained by a Cryptic Dev at one point which likely applies to this game as well, in that it's a data issue. A customizable sidekick is to the servers another player character as far as the amount of data transferred is concerned. There is already a limit to how many players a zone can support, adding customizable sidekicks to that reduces that limit. That's why nemesis villains only appear in instances where the limit of players is low already. The only way customizable sidekicks could viably exist is in instances as well, which no player really would want.
    Be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!
    dikawolf wrote: »
    The reason that CoH didn't do it was once explained by a Cryptic Dev at one point which likely applies to this game as well, in that it's a data issue. A customizable sidekick is to the servers another player character as far as the amount of data transferred is concerned. There is already a limit to how many players a zone can support, adding customizable sidekicks to that reduces that limit. That's why nemesis villains only appear in instances where the limit of players is low already. The only way customizable sidekicks could viably exist is in instances as well, which no player really would want.

Hah! The answer is obvious. As the numbe of players drops eventually there will be enough zone room for the one remaining player and his army of pets and sidekicks.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    dikawolf wrote: »

I wonder about this, though. They have the BOFF's from STO, so i really wonder if they could just dumb down that system a little bit. Granted, CO has way more open world missions than instanced, so that might be an issue, but i think they might skirt the issue by making it a combat only thing, like the Champion Team-ups. Just have them drop down once you hit combat and hop out once you're cleared. Maybe make them more permanent in instances, but that's still asking a lot of an old and unloved game like champions.

I would absolutely love it if they managed to get a BOFF like setup for our characters in this game. It's such a nice thing there and would go a long way for players who don't like teaming with Rando's for missions outside of Alerts and such.
  • pallierpallier Posts: 79 Arc User
    unless the money you are willing to pay is to buy the company itself, its never going to happen. they put little effort into things like sidekicks and nemesis because the game and company only focus on 2 things. costumes and side events. that's it. if you have a custom suggestion you may see it in a future lockbox and events may have it as a reward, but you're never ever going to get them to make a customizable sidekick of any sort (not even change their costume colors) because its a major programming change and it would make the freeform character less valuable since you could make a sidekick to do the things you are missing like heals or certain types of dps. its also a nightmare for them when it comes to costume parts showing up right and the loading nightmare of everyone getting one and summoning them at the same time. the reason why the server caps at 50 players is because they can barely take 50 people with over the top costumes loading. back when the server limit was 99 the game would often crash.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!