test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Connection issues

Starting August 4th after the update I started having connection trouble (Prior to that it was fine). -- Can't connect to account server/can't connenct to verification server -- started to pop up about 50% of the time when logging in. About 90% of the time when I change maps for any reason I get the server not responding time out. If I manage to log in again the map usually change properly,

Once on a map the game plays normally without issue, but it's making it hard to do Alerts and similar events with it like this.

I've checked my connection and everything seems OK. Other games and my cell phone seem to be working fine.

Any advice or work arounds?

Thanks

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Run traceroute.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tariser12tariser12 Posts: 43 Arc User
    OK, I ran trace route but don't understand the results (I'm not that good with computers). Other then connecting to my service provider's server I mostly got "timed out" replies
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Uncheck 'On-demand patching' from launcher the options.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Uncheck 'On-demand patching' from launcher the options.

That has been turned off for years, LOL. I did try turning it on and back off again just in case, but it didn't help.

My friend has started having the same issues on both Star Trek and Champions. We both have Verizon DSL, but other things run fine so unless the service is having issues with the Cryptic servers I don't know what's going on.

The interuptions are very consistent. For instance, when change maps if the progress bar is slowly approaching the "L" in loading After 1/4 of the bar is filled it will disconnect once the bar is Half way through the "L". I always happens at that piont. On the other hand if the bar jumps passed the "L" suddenly or the Quijbo screen pops up (without the progess bar)
    and disappears the map will always load properly.
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    Are you running the game from the Steam launcher or directly from the Champions Online.exe? It's been a long time but, I think folks used to recommend running it directly from the Champions Online.exe to avoid some problems. You could also try checking off Force verify in the launcher options. Also, could try power cycling your home equipment.
    edited August 2022
    Are you running the game from the Steam launcher or directly from the Champions Online.exe? It's been a long time but, I think folks used to recommend running it directly from the Champions Online.exe to avoid some problems. You could also try checking off Force verify in the launcher options. Also, could try power cycling your home equipment.

Mostly used the direct link to the champions launcher but did try steam and Arc just in case when this started (didn't help so went back to the direct link to launcher).

Forced verify was also tried when it first started, but problems can start before the force verify option is available. doesn't solve it but does seem to help a little. but after acouple of map transfers the problem is back full force.

I checked the STO forum and seems a lot of people with different service providers are having the same issue. Not sure about Neverwinter, checked the forum. still couldnt tell (LOL)

I normally use the cryptic lancher directly, but i did check bot arc and steam to see if they helped when it started (they didn't).

The problem can come up before Froced verify is an option. But I did try it when this came uo and again after you suggested it. It seems to help a little but after a few map transfers the propblem is back full force. Normally one transfer is lucky.

I checked the STO forum and it seems more people have reported the same issues there. Not all of them were verizon customers. I hope this gets fixed soon, but it doesn't seem to be on my end.

Still any more Ideas are welcome since something might work.
    OK, it's been almost a month since the problem started with the Aug. 4th update. I've run a trace route twice a week apart and got basically the same result both times. Here's the part that started the time outs.

4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms 0.ae2.BR2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [140.222.229.93]
    8 27 ms 26 ms 26 ms verizon-com.customer.alter.net [152.179.120.230]

9 27 ms 28 ms 27 ms if-be-2-2.ecore1.n75-newyork.as6453.net [66.110.
    96.62]
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms po110.bs-a.sech-lga.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.97
    .243]
    12 27 ms 28 ms 28 ms a72-52-1-159.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.co
    m [72.52.1.159]
    13 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms ae120.access-a.sech-lga.netarch.akamai.com [23.5
    7.97.249]
    14 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms 93.191.172.149
    15 33 ms 34 ms 33 ms 209.200.171.102
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]

Trace complete.

I've read that Akamai isn't the culprit, so what is? What changed in the August 4th update that made it basically impossible to play if you need to acess the account, patch, or login server? Well at least for some STO and Champions players anyway.
    Why does it work sometimes and not others? It's so consistant that I can tell if it will load or not just by what happens on the load screen.

Is Cryptic looking into this issue? Is it something with the service provider or it's interaction with the cryptic servers?
    Champions is troubling but STO has become basically unplayable for my friend since map changes are more required there.

Any answers would be great
    thanks
    Still nothing? no improvement with any of the games I've dealt with if anything it's getting worse
    The issue is still the same of not worse as it was at the beginning of August
  • rileymarks1rileymarks1 Posts: 48 Arc User
    I have been having connection issues the past few days. Sometimes I can get on only to crash hard to desktop. Other times the game crashes before I even get to character select screen. It goes straight to desktop.
    edited November 2022
    I have been having connection issues the past few days. Sometimes I can get on only to crash hard to desktop. Other times the game crashes before I even get to character select screen. It goes straight to desktop.

I suspect that was related to the Blood moon event. I started getting that in the second week of Blood moon when the crypts stage and Deathlords became active. I'll see how it goes now that blood moon is over
    Still no improvement I am however getting a different result on the trace route now

2 21 ms 20 ms 21 ms 10.29.37.1
    3 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms G0-0-5-2.SCTNPA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
    94.178]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 29 ms 28 ms 28 ms if-be-2-2.ecore1.n75-newyork.as6453.net [66.110.
    96.62]
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 28 ms 29 ms 29 ms po110.bs-a.sech-lga.netarch.akamai.com [23.57.97
    .243]
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms 93.191.172.152
    15 35 ms 35 ms 34 ms a23-58-138-122.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.
    com [23.58.138.122]
    16 42 ms 38 ms 39 ms 198.49.243.237
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.