test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stretching Content with Low Droprates

I've noticed this long-term trend intensifying lately.

Been spending a good chunk of time grinding alerts of various kinds, and failing to get any payoff. Feelsbadman. What was that anniversary bug boss like? No clue. Skull Cane drop... so few drops happened that I can't even buy one.

it kinda feels like I don't get to play the game unless I roll a 1 on a d100... and I keep rolling, but I'm honestly getting a bit tired of wasting so much time without result.

Might want to rethink this strategy for player retention reasons... cuz ngl my interest is starting to drift. I might be the only one, but I might not be.

Comments

• rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 102 Arc User
    I would like to jump in real quick and say that this is not only becoming a trend, but a common practice judging from the direction of the game.

This is something that was discussed before in a CO discord server where it seems like the direction of the game is solely on grinding instead of reworking the story content or adding more content. Granted, this is a very old game, and it's hard to just rework the story content to make it all better.

There has been a couple of other statements thrown around haphazardly to try and prove a point that this is the best decision, and there has been some blind support for some of these decisions.

Like the Therakiel Store and the Eidolon Store.

People think that Eidolon's prices should be cut in half and not Therakiel's, even though more people grind Eidolon than they do Therakiel's Temple. People are still convinced that because Eidolon has 'a chance to fail', that there is no chance to 'fail Therakiel's Temple', therefore if the special currency price was cut in half, it just simply wouldn't make sense for Therakiel's Store but Eidolon's? That makes perfect sense.

And I can only say, "Well why not both?"

Back to the topic, I bring those two things up because they're painted as this 'chance to get a free item due to lack of luck'. I ran Therakiel's Temple moooore times than I'd bother to count, and you're telling me I have to grind for 100 total days to get 100 feathers just to get a mod/device? That's close to a third of a year, and that's not severely grindy?

The term "pity store" was thrown around multiple times without much meaning, turning into yet another list of words/phrases that are CO's 'Bazinga'.

That's pretty much all I have to say.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I don't do TT since they ruined it.

I did a fair number of Eido runs until I got the few things I wanted from it. Now I don't, mainly because it is boring trying for an hour to get enough people to show up in the QWZ and it still not happening. Maybe if drop rates were better more people would feel more inclined to do it?

I just prefer solo to group content anyway.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Low drop rates are somewhat tolerable for persistent in-game stuff like Eido or Therakiel, especially now that we have strores to mitigate bad luck a bit. I do agree that the store prices are double what they should be, especially considering that most of it is bind on pickup. Bind on pickup is a terrible idea for Eido, because it encourages players to bring potentially sub-optimal characters to a fight that already has a pretty good chance to fail. But, I'm getting off-track here. So many bad decisions to criticize, so little time.

Tiny droprates to stretch out limited time content is just not ok. Grind this miserable alert 100 times in a week to get the prize.. that's a big crackerjack box to dig through! And there is no guarantee you will get a prize. So, people (like me) end up grinding this stuff until it makes you want to vomit, and get nothing. Maybe this sort of setup could work if we had a bigger population where no-lifer grinders could sell the extras they get. But, there just isn't enough of em here for these tiny droprates. But, even a big population wouldn't help with stuff like the anniversary bug boss perk and such.

I get that we don't have enough dev energy to actually make much new content. But, stretching it out like this just makes me hate the content itself.. and that really doesn't seem like a win for anyone, especially in the long-term.

• mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    There is an "Eidolon Store"?

Where are these stores?

I have not done TT since they reworked everything. A couple of jerks soured me on the temple way back when and I just haven't went back.

But the QWZ I have done a few times here and there when I have come back to play, so maybe I have some of that currency and would like to look at the store, at least.
    See what is there, see how much, see what I have earned, etc.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    Imperium is the store, but you only see it if you have succeeded on Eido once.

Don't get you hopes up though. It's really more of a pity store than anything else (the devs decided you should expect get get what you want from drops, not from currency). Everything costs 500 scr + 250 gct + 100 or 50 QE currency. Yes, you have to have completed 50 Eido runs before you can buy anything from the store. To say that most players were very unhappy with this pricing would be an understatement.

I'm not sure how often people run Eido anymore. Haven't heard of any during Halloween at the times I am on.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
    Yeah. The grind is absurd I just stopped playing as much and only just started playing again recently to do the halloween stuff to see if there was anything worth getting as a healer or costumes-wise.

The Eido fight just isn't that fun with how easy it is to fail and just never getting anything out of it didn't help either, so I just never do it. I always wonder, what's the point? Get the better gear for what exactly? I just do alerts and then sometimes events. I don't need better gear for that since I have the Cosmic gear already.

So now I'm playing the game less and looking to other stuff to get my healer fix.
  • h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    I like to imagine some dev read this thread, and thats why we suddenly have a flood of tako thrones from bloodmoon.
  • rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 102 Arc User
    vonqball wrote: »
    Tiny droprates to stretch out limited time content is just not ok. Grind this miserable alert 100 times in a week to get the prize.. that's a big crackerjack box to dig through! And there is no guarantee you will get a prize. So, people (like me) end up grinding this stuff until it makes you want to vomit, and get nothing. Maybe this sort of setup could work if we had a bigger population where no-lifer grinders could sell the extras they get. But, there just isn't enough of em here for these tiny droprates. But, even a big population wouldn't help with stuff like the anniversary bug boss perk and such.

I wanna touch on this real quick because this basically reminded me of Forum Malvanum, which has essentially the same drop-rate as DUC, while very much being harder than Harmon Labs. Which is very much not good considering the level of grinding gymnastics you have to go through in order to complete and continue farming Forum Malvanum. If they doubled, or tripled the drop rate of DUC in FM, maybe it'd be better.
  • nabatau24#1531 nabatau24 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    The intent is to keep people active for much longer stretches of time by keep the rewards spread out.

Of course that only has an effect when they are hooked enough to stay active throughout that period rather than abandoning the game entirely.

They need to make people want to play the game or enjoy the grind before employing that sort of thing and hoping to get the intended effect.
    https://routerlogin.ltd/
    https://pikashow.ltd/
    Post edited by nabatau24#1531 on
  • cheeseagent69cheeseagent69 Posts: 35 Arc User
    low drop rates has been a thing for all MMOs and even grindy games. CO just doesnt have alot of good payoffs imo and the amount of content and now even more lower playerbase doesnt justify it anymore.

Low drop rates/long grinds are just MMO methods to get players to pay more (works mostly on P2P games. Doesnt seem worth it in F2P games to buy to speed up process but w.e) to keep the game up.
  • > @cheeseagent69 said:
    > low drop rates has been a thing for all MMOs and even grindy games. CO just doesnt have alot of good payoffs imo and the amount of content and now even more lower playerbase doesnt justify it anymore.
    >
    > Low drop rates/long grinds are just MMO methods to get players to pay more (works mostly on P2P games. Doesnt seem worth it in F2P games to buy to speed up process but w.e) to keep the game up.

A drop rate of 0.01% in a game with 100k daily players means that on a rough average (without considering other factors like amount of repetition per day each player does to grind for the item drop or how many players actually grind for it) the market is getting a supply of 1k new items per day.

That same drop rate but in a playerbase that struggles to hit 200 unique logins per day means that in the absolute best case scenario you'll be looking at 2 supplies of said item per day.

You simply can't use the same exact drop rates other games use without taking playerbase size into consideration.