test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Become Devices Character

h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
edited November 2021 in Builds and Roles
Thanks to the Black Friday sale today, I decided to upgrade my joke Become Devices Character into freeform, so I can have an appropriate toggle form ready for all of the devices. This character only fights using become devices, and will hopefully collect a good chunk of them. Some time ago, a ridiculous nerf put a 3 minute cooldown on celestial and doomlord, so this build's secondary focus is to cut down cooldown timer. This also helps with the initial short cooldown all other become devices have. I use my old reference on become device stats to help figure out which toggle forms to select.

Some things to note:
  1. Become devices do not have superstats. This is relevant for Inertial Damping Field, which scales off super stats. A R3 Inertial damping field on a become device is worth 1.6 (rounded to 2) damage, identical to a character with no superstats selected.
  2. Many become devices have poorly allocated stats. Become Celestial, the healer, for example has very low Recovery and Presence. It gets low benefits from Compassion, Smoldering, or Fear Consumption. I suspect this is an intentional nerf by devs.
  3. Enrage's Giant Growth advantage carries over. It is possible to have a bigger Werewolf, Frank or Gingerbread Man by doing this. However, Become Gladiator does not increase in size even though the stacking animation effect happens. This is probably unique to Gladiator because it is already so big.
  4. Energy and hp while switching to/from the become device is based on percentages. This means that a high energy equilibrium is desirable. It also means we can use become device powers to heal before switching out. Unfortunately, Vampire's R3 resurgence has a 10 sec initial cooldown due to some past nerf.
  5. R2 and R3 of toggle form do not provide additional initial stacks for the become device
  6. Although passives are scaled off superstats for players and tooltip display, they manage to somehow scale anyways. This is notable because Gingerbread Man's defiance shows 5% per stack (same as no superstat character), but laser testing let it build up to 90% actual damage reduction when combined with block. A 5% defiance would not get that high, so I speculate that internally the defiance may be scaling based off con. I think some of the passives used to scale off specific stats rather than superstats in general, and they might still be doing so for some of the become devices.

My thoughts on which toggles work best with which device:
  1. Black Talon - Aspect of the Machine, Concentration - He has high ego and low strength, but his melee powers are better than his ranged ones. If farming I'd go AotM, concentration for boss fights.
  2. Celestial - Compassion - The only reason to swap to this become is for healing. Despite the low rec and pre, a small bonus is better than nothing.
  3. Chaos Demon - Concentration - High ego and range attack based.
  4. Cybernetic Ninja - Form of the Tempest, Enrage - He has high str and dex and mostly melee attacks. While his str is higher, his stronger attacks also don't knock. So its a tradeoff between using enrage and mixing in the tether to stack form, or using fott and hoping for crits.
  5. Djinn - Aspect of the Machine, Concentration, Form of the Tempest - He has high ego, low strength and mixes both range and melee. AotM for farming, concentration for boss fights. His melee attacks seem slightly better, and he does have AoPM to help overall stats, so going form of the tempest isn't a bad idea either.
  6. Doomlord - Aspect of the Machine, Concentration, Compassion - He has high ego but mostly uses the melee devour essence ability. AotM is the way to go for farming, although Compassion for a small healing boost in longer fights is alright too. Concentration if mostly using shadow embrace. The problem with compassion in group content is that sometimes the team healer keeps you topped off, and it won't stack if it doesn't actually do any healing.
  7. Frank - Enrage - High str, melee attack, has knocks
  8. Ghost - Concentration - High ego, ranged attacks
  9. Gingerbread Man - Enrage - High str, melee attack, has knocks
  10. Gladiator - Enrage - already comes with it
  11. Lemurian Power Armor - Concentration - High int, ranged attacks
  12. Mummy - Concentration, Aspect of the Infernal - High ego, ranged attacks, most powers can poison
  13. Resistance Command Leader - Concentration - High ego, mostly ranged attacks. His one melee attack, Launcher, doesn't actually work as a knock despite the power's description.
  14. Samurai Robot - Form of the Swordsman, Form of the Tempest, Enrage - High dex and high crit so I think form of the tempest is best. However he does apply bleed on many powers, and cleave works well with enrage.
  15. Security Process - Concentration - All range powers, high ego
  16. Snowman - Concentration - I don't have one on hand but its highest offensive stat is int, and its ranged
  17. Toy Soldier - Concentration - High ego, all his powers are awful though. I mostly use him for the minigun so concentration seems ideal.
  18. Vampire - Concentration, Aspect of the Infernal, Aspect of the Bestial - High ego. In regular form, he is ranged and applies poison. In beast form he is melee and applies bleeds. Its really hard to keep up the beast form unless spamming energy builder or having someone else feed energy though.
  19. Werewolf - Enrage, Aspect of the Bestial - High str and melee based. He comes with aspect of the bestial, but going enrage makes it easier to spam massacre.
  20. Werewolf Arctic - Aspect of the Bestial - High str and melee based. Unfortunately he loses massacre for frost breath. Best to stay with the included aspect of the bestial in this case, though Aspect of the Machine might be alright for farming too.
  21. Workshop Elf - Concentration - High ego, all ranged attacks. He mostly wants to use the sniper rifle and the exploding present. Not sure why anyone would use grapple gun here as he has no strong melee attacks.

With this in mind, I think I can cover everything by taking Aspect of the Machine, Concentration, Compassion, Enrage, Form of the Tempest. I'll add in Chilled Form and Aspect of the Infernal anyway since this kind of build has a bunch of leftover power points. Nanobot swarm to help with cooldown and some rez stuff. Theres a lot of leftover adv points and both of the spec trees are basically useless. Gearing is stacking int and cooldown reduction. It is a 2 superstat build, the Pre was only selected due to having to take a third superstat, and it may as well benefit the aura a bit when teamed and out of device form.

Become Devices Test Character - Freeform (Hybrid)
v3.44:37

Super Stats
Level 6: Recovery (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: Arcanus (Int: 12, Pre: 12)
Level 6: Brilliant (Int: 8)
Level 9: Command Training (Int: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 3)
Level 12: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 15: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 18: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Power Bolts
Level 1: Concentration
Level 6: Aspect of the Machine
Level 8: Enrage (Giant Growth)
Level 11: Compassion
Level 14: Form of the Tempest
Level 17: Chilled Form
Level 20: Aspect of the Infernal
Level 23: Nanobot Swarm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Aura of Arcane Clarity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Resurrection Serum (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Thundering Return (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2, Unchained) - use case: when low hp on a become device without a self heal
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 24/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Rank 3, Versatility)
Level 35:

Specializations
Recovery: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Recovery: Withstand (2/2)
Recovery: Rapid Recovery (3/3)
Recovery: Second Wind (2/2)
Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
Protector: Resolute (2/3)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (2/3)
Sentry: Persevere (2/2)
Mastery: Recovery Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Comments

• Options
    metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    I will definitely try this out and give it a further read.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • Options
    Hah! Don't expect too much though. Even picking a matching toggle doesn't save most of the devices. I end up using doomlord with concentration most of the time.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Interesting info all around- thanks for looking into it. The build is niche, but it's premise does sound pretty fun.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    There are so many unused adv points, I think I'll eventually end up making it into an aoac gadgeteer with concentration, aspect of the machine, and enrage. Might as well put all that int and cooldown to use somehow. I did "Break The Walls Down" serial mission with this become devices character yesterday, and it was annoying to be knocked out of become device mode by the new shadows mobs. The cobra lords in the "Catching a Wave" mission do the same thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I updated with consideration to uncontrolled pets working with become devices, replacing some of the toggle forms. I think Summon Nightmare and March of the dead are some of the longer duration ones, and Hydra is just strong. Switching out of become to throw out some of these uncontrolled pets, and then switching back could help drop alert bosses quicker. Incinerate and Meteor Blaze are randomly there for some backup direct attack, in place of nanobot swarm and resurrect serum. I figured a pocket ulti would be nice with the high cooldown reduction, even if it won't hit hard with this kind of build and statting.

Become Devices w Pet Support - Freeform (Support)
    v3.44:37

Super Stats
    Level 6: Recovery (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: Sureshot (Dex: 12, Int: 12)
    Level 6: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Coordinated (Dex: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 18: Brilliant (Int: 8)
    Level 21: Agile (Dex: 8)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Aura of Arcane Clarity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Enrage (Giant Growth)
    Level 14: Summon Nightmare (Rank 2, Night Terror)
    Level 17: March of the Dead (Rank 2, Forced March)
    Level 20: Hydra (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
    Level 26: Meteor Blaze (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2, Unchained)
    Level 32: Fiery Embrace
    Level 35: Aspect of the Machine
    Level 38: Form of the Tempest
    Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Superspeed (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Recovery: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Recovery: Staying Power (2/2)
    Recovery: Super Charged (3/3)
    Recovery: Second Wind (2/2)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (1/3)
    Avenger: Surprise Attack (2/2)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Recovery Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    Slot 1: Become Devices

Additional Notes:
    stack int
  • Options
    peripeteiaperipeteia Posts: 39 Arc User
    I thought these devices were either good low level, fun mid level and for out levelled stuff high level. On occasion maybe a change for heal or res other to expand on utilities or maybe good for a role. Cybernetic Ninja being the worst and least viable for anything other than gimmick/posing.
  • Options
    ragadolfragadolf Posts: 95 Arc User
    Well, it IS Halloween. Time for a thread resurrection! ;P

So I love this concept. But have only played around with a couple of become items so far on different toons. (Thx for the link to the useful chart!)
    But among my many unbuilt toons (At least not yet) is a shapeshifter I have a yearning to call,... CopyCat. :)

As far as I can tell, while using a Become item, your gear means nothing, No stat bonuses, no Off/Def bonuses, no cooldown reduction, nada. Correct? Your stats when you become the device are the stats you are stuck with. Period.

While using a Become item, your old Form stays active unless you replace it with the Device Form. (Entire premise of thread, I follow that much!) ;P

So My questions are:
    >Does ANYTHING (other than old active form) have any effect when you are using a Become device? Any Pri Sstat trees? Any other trees? (if you are using Become Frank, and you have a Brawler tree, do any of the selections on it help your Become in any way? If you have the Str Stat tree, does it help your Frankenform?)
    >Does the thread idea of building to reduce cooldowns work on the devices powers? (Or only on the cooldown for any of the devices themselves?)

My guess is if NOTHING (other than your old, active Form) helps your Become device in any way, then all I have to do is build a basic toon of any kind I want, with any stats, and substitute 3-5 of the usual powers for Forms to help with the various Becomes, (yes? no?) ANd then BECOME any of the devices that I feel like playing with/as.

Am I correct? Close?
    (Or does none of this in-depth theorycraft matter, as devices supposedly all stink?) ;P

I welcome any opinions and all advice.
    Thank you,
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    The cooldowns are only for the devices. I've heard some people claim that there are ways to make advantages work on become devices, but I don't think its intended and I've not been able to replicate it. I've seen spec tree advantages occasionally work on OV devices, which are similar to but not exactly the same as the normal become devices.

Honestly though, become devices overall are pretty bad except for doomlord. This character has long since been retconned to a more normal build focusing on low cooldowns, who only brings out become devices for fun occasionally. I only kept concentration as a toggle since it covers the widest range of become devices.

EDIT: feel free to message me ingame for some further details on become devices
    Post edited by h4forums on
  • Options
    ragadolfragadolf Posts: 95 Arc User
    Thx for the response. :)
    Yeah I know that devices are not 'All That', but they ARE fun to play with. And at lower levels using them is actually quite helpful I think. (especially if you have a weaker low-lvl toon that has not yet come into his super-heroic glory!) ;)
    Interesting about the maybe being able to get adv or spec trees to work with OV or devices.

My concepts (other than the afore-mentioned and yet to be made 'Copy Cat',) is to make specific themed device users, I have made a 'Spirit of Halloween' who will use the Halloween themed devices, (the limiteds until he can afford to buy the real ones) And maybe Doom lord (THAT might take me a while) But instead of focusing on cooldowns I am creating 'normal' toons (Darkness DPS for "Spirit of Halloween) just not picking up all the extra powers that make it 'top notch' to save a few slots for Forms.
    I have picked up a ghost and mummy temp devices from the goodie bags, and it is working pretty well so far. (COnsidering I need to rearrange my build, I have no forms so far. Only lvl 12)

Thanks for the chat invite. I will happily take you up on that when work allows.:)

~