test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Game's Most Useless Stat

I want you to imagine what could possibly be the game's worst, and most unreliable stat. Think of all the times you wanted to build your character and think of the amount of times that you -want- to try and stack this stat, or think about the times where you wish this stat had a more concrete, quantifiable measurement instead of highly raised percentages. We can all guess and point figures at a various number of stats, but today I am talking about Knock Resistance.

I have always given that stat the benefit of the doubt because usually there are ways to mitigate being thrown around, primarily, blocking early enough, but that's not always the case at all for a good portion of endgame or challenging enemies, especially when leveling a melee character that uses strength (unless you have unstoppable, but even then you're gonna get knocked). So I decided to test exactly how much knock resistance would be needed to get the most bang out of your buck when building said stat, and managed to get roughly between 800%-850% knock resistance. And the result?..

I'm still under threat of getting treated like a ping pong ball. I can get chain knocked over and over again until my stacks are up to 3, and even get pinned in awkward places and be subjected to death.

Now why would you build this stat anyways, what would lead you to want to get this stat? Well a good portion of us are tired of getting so easily knocked around all over the place, and some of us are tired of getting knocked so far away and falling a fair distance to take fall damage (Which takes a significant portion of your HP away), and some of us are aware that this is why Black Fang is quite a threat to players, get knocked, take a good bit of fall damage, and the mobs on top of the pillars will rain hell on you.

Strength gives us innate knock resistance, and there's a couple of spec trees that offer us knock resistance based on super stats, but why would you spend energy into getting knock resistance when it doesn't reliably work at all except for maybe solo content, but even then, said solo content would result in you getting knocked around like a ping pong ball regardless, so why does it matter?

There is an allegation where Knock Resistance has been ninja-nerfed which I cannot confirm yet, it's hard to quantify such, but I do have evidence of many moments where Knock Resistance did jack. I was running Teleios Ascendant (Normal Difficulty Epic Lair), and I decided to use Max's DPS role on a couple of bosses including Gravitar. Max's Knock Resistance was up to 783%, so there was almost no way he wouldn't get knocked right?... Right?

I was wrong, 3 seconds in, I get knocked, and then another 10 seconds, I get knocked. Even when I blocked, I got knocked a few times. And this isn't Max being repelled instead of being knocked after he blocked late, no, this was blocking early, and THEN getting knocked. Now I may be wrong on this and the game may have been lagging where it didn't register my blocks but it was pretty frustrating to say the least.

So now we get to this part. Am I wrong to think this way? Or is there something that I simply do not know, and is knock resistance meant to be entirely over the top, because as it stands right now, knock resistance has to be the most useless stat currently.

Comments

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Eh, I've been playing this game for so long that I just assume that some mook with a baseball bat can knock the Hulk/Superman across the room. Is it faithful to the genre? Absolutley not. It is the easiest way for the devs to add some level of difficulty (i.e frutration) to the player's experience of the game? Aboslutely. Would adding some more interesting mechanics to give players a more intersting challenge be possible? Probably, but since the devs have not put any effort into doing that in 13(!) years I doubt we will ever see it happen.

My advice, just roll with the knocks, accpet that it's part of this game, and understand that it will NEVER change.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    Knock resist actually does work, but mostly in terms of reducing the knock distance. My no-block character has lots of knock resist: +456% (strength stat), +125% (resilient in con tree), +129% (unstoppable). She barely moves back, maybe 5-6 feet while not blocking the ape slam. Sometimes she is not even knocked down. I guess it makes more sense to think of the stat as "weightiness" rather than "chance to resist a knock".

Edge case aside, I agree this stat is generally disappointing. Does anyone even use that +500% knock resist consumable in the tpb shop (density formula)?
  • Options
    h4forumsh4forums Posts: 268 Arc User
    stairs0 wrote: »
    ape's knock distance is based on block timing and position. Knock ditance is only affected by attacker's stats

damn i guess its been placebo effect all along. i tested this just now and confirmed i get knocked the same distance as everyone else. although it was interesting to see that its the same distance even though i didn't block, while the other players did.
  • Options
    rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 103 Arc User
    h4forums wrote: »
    stairs0 wrote: »
    ape's knock distance is based on block timing and position. Knock distance is only affected by attacker's stats

damn i guess its been placebo effect all along. i tested this just now and confirmed i get knocked the same distance as everyone else. although it was interesting to see that its the same distance even though i didn't block, while the other players did.

Yup. That's the whole point of me making the discussion, knock resistance is either a placebo/schrodinger's stat, the only thing it's worth doing, unless your timing with blocking is great (For the exception of some tells since some tells in the game will knock instead of repel regardless). It's portrayed as this -mythical- stat, so this leaves two things in mind:

1. Knock Resistance and Knock Strength are being reconfigured to actually reflect what is being said.

2. This is just another propaganda subject. (I'm leaning towards this)
  • Options
    areeeareee Posts: 830 Arc User
    This is one of the reasons I was really upset with Inertial Dampening Field being turned into a passive. Lowered the Soak and popped in Knock/Hold resist then say, "Look! It's better now."

No.
    It's not, because knock/hold resist is useless. They utterly nerfed it.

The knock effect and lack of true knock resist is why I stopped playing for a year, and stopped doing Vigilence.

Knock up, Knock down, Knock To.. I am fine with. Knockback just frustrates me all to hell. No matter if it is an enemy using it or a clueless ally.
  • Options
    miorummiorum Posts: 48 Arc User
    Weighing in on this: Some abilities are designed to be niche or downright terrible, some are ill explained and then there are the mystical "works but isn't worth it" things this game offers: like the Offense stat - except that Offense at least does show some semblance of being effective when stacked. Knock Resist is one of those in my book.

What's more, I firmly believe the Knock Resistance stacks you accrue through repeatedly being Knocked are false.
    If my enemy barely shifts backwards on 3 stacks from my meaty Annihilate ... why do I have to go through "oh god oh no I am flying I am doing the flying animation I'll tell Revenger on the moon I said hello Team Rocket's blasting off agaaaaaaaaain....." at 3 Knock Resistance stacks but a late Block?

Agreed. Trash stat.
    In-game, I'm The_Kef -- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "That's really it for Champs."
  • Options
    rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 103 Arc User
    miorum wrote: »
    Weighing in on this: Some abilities are designed to be niche or downright terrible, some are ill explained and then there are the mystical "works but isn't worth it" things this game offers: like the Offense stat - except that Offense at least does show some semblance of being effective when stacked. Knock Resist is one of those in my book.

What's more, I firmly believe the Knock Resistance stacks you accrue through repeatedly being Knocked are false.
    If my enemy barely shifts backwards on 3 stacks from my meaty Annihilate ... why do I have to go through "oh god oh no I am flying I am doing the flying animation I'll tell Revenger on the moon I said hello Team Rocket's blasting off agaaaaaaaaain....." at 3 Knock Resistance stacks but a late Block?

Agreed. Trash stat.

To add in on this, Offense is actually kind of useful for things like DoTs, not as significantly as say, passives buffing some forms of DoTs, Critical Chance or Critical Severity, which is what DoTs are mostly based on, DoT damage will actually go up if you stack up on Offense.

Then there are Wardicator/Guardicator spec'd builds, where if you use Coruscating Might, you offense, and thus defense, suddenly goes way up. Sure, Offense is basically being used as a means to boost your defense, but that does mean that Offense has some use.

So I did some more research into this Knock Resistance discussion:

1. There are more enemies/bosses that PIERCE Knock Resistance. Gravitar, Vladic Dracul, Black Fang, Valerian Scarlet, Therakiel, Roin'esh mobs, Nemesis Mobs with some forms of knocks, all cosmics and legendaries that knock, and the list continues.

2. There is a lack of transparency when it comes to the discussion of knock resistance no matter where you look.

I've tried to really test and see things with my character Mad Max, who at highest, can achieve 1438% knock resistance. This includes Feral Rage, and this doesn't include blocking.

He can still be treated as a ping pong ball

It is the most bizarre thing. I know Knock Immunity doesn't exist, but he gets knocked 20% of the time, and it's not a suppressed knock either, because I travel the same distance and take the same amount of damage, regardless if I had higher knock resistance or not.

I mean it'd be one thing if Knock Resistance actually affected distance and not just if you get knocked or not (even though I know that'd be a massive pain in the ****), but then Knock Resistance would actually have some form of credence to even build for. Except we DON'T
  • Options
    areeeareee Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2022
    miorum wrote: »

It is the most bizarre thing. I know Knock Immunity doesn't exist, but he gets knocked 20% of the time, and it's not a suppressed knock either, because I travel the same distance and take the same amount of damage, regardless if I had higher knock resistance or not.

Actually, it does exist. The Destroid Factory device does not move no matter what attack hits it, it just gets destroid when taking too much damage.