test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dumb Newb Type Questions :)

Hello, to those of you willing to read this and potentially help out. I hope you’re having a great day. Considering my questions, General seemed most appropriate for this as it touches on a lot of subjects.

I haven’t played since launch. Something like eight years ago. I am starting fresh (the old account info has been forgotten) and the game has changed so much that I find myself in need of help and advice.

1) Finding Friends to play with: Are people using voice chat or text chat predominantly now? I have a mic but haven’t plugged it in. It’s… quiet playing And its not exactly easy to communicate with others. Where and how to make some pals and play group content with for fun more than just farming?

2) Crafting: The system is completely different. How do I get materials and level my skill from one on up to what, three or four hundred? With a tank character, I am thinking arms is the way to go.

3) Zen Shop must haves: I picked up an archetype (Rockstar) after hating the Tenebrous. I also nabbed the big pack with character slots, power tinting, retcon tokens, and costume bits. Then I bought a hideout for the shared bank slots and other services. Anything else I should get?

4) Build advice: The forum here is seemingly years out of date and a popular content creator deleted all their material from seemingly everywhere recently leaving me at a loss.

First, do tanks and healers still matter in this game? DPS took over Star Trek Online for example to the point other roles aren't wanted.

Am I better off stacking the primary stat with only minor attention to the secondary ones with talents? Or do I need to spread the stat points around more evenly. I can already see I might need a bit of recovery.

How much challenge should I take in power advantages? With a Rockstar is anything essential for the group role? I was thinking of focusing on knock more than fire.

Comments

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,437 Arc User
    If you post requests for feedback on builds in the BUILDS AND ROLES sub-forum people will generally respond with suggestions.

Tanks and healers only really matter in end game content. If you don't plan to do that, you can be pretty much any mish-mash of powers you want to have. The game is very forgiving once you have a sense of it. The same will largely hold true with stats. Generally though, having more points in your primary state (i.e. the one that is linked to your toggle form) is a good idea, with some in an energy management stat and amybe some con (though glass cannons do work). Much will depend on the quality of your gear and the mods you slot.

I'll let others respond to other aspects of your questions.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    Hello Jaazaniah1. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to at least try to answer “something.”

Sadly, I am already looking at changing archetype again. :) I am one of those people that gets a name, a costume rocking, and tries to fit the right game play to it so I re-role until it’s perfect for me. I am still wallowing through trying to figure the new game out or find a few compatible souls to game with.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    1) Finding Friends to play with: Are people using voice chat or text chat predominantly now? I have a mic but haven’t plugged it in. It’s… quiet playing And its not exactly easy to communicate with others. Where and how to make some pals and play group content with for fun more than just farming?
    Zone chat, custom channels and Discord seem to be the primary ways people communicate outside the forum. If you're looking for an active SG, you could try checking the dedicated SG forum here.
    2) Crafting: The system is completely different. How do I get materials and level my skill from one on up to what, three or four hundred? With a tank character, I am thinking arms is the way to go.
    "Crafting" is now fusing mods to rank them up and sticking them into gear. Only fusing mods use the skill. To level the skill you can fuse mods, open skill appropriate nodes or the +10 skill packs from lootboxes. Those packs are sometimes sold on the AH or through one of the various trade channels.

Edit: Which skill you get is mostly irrelevant. It only determines which nodes you can use, not what you can get from them (at least not on a noticeable level) or what mods you can fuse.
    3) Zen Shop must haves: I picked up an archetype (Rockstar) after hating the Tenebrous. I also nabbed the big pack with character slots, power tinting, retcon tokens, and costume bits. Then I bought a hideout for the shared bank slots and other services. Anything else I should get?
    I can't personally think of anything beyond the big pack and a Hideout that I would say is a "must get". Depending on your personal preferences Costumes, Travel Powers, Sidekicks, and Vehicles might help you make the character(s) you envision, but they're more or less entirely optional and probably not worth the money unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Freeform slots are great for making the "perfect" character, but they're also expensive so I would not recommend picking one up until you're certain you'll stick with the game for the long haul.
  • Options
    doug85#9472 doug85 Posts: 1 New User
    I just started playing on pc and cant figure out how to get to my extra inventory bag slots. Im probly just over looking it but if anyone could help that would be great.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    I just started playing on pc and cant figure out how to get to my extra inventory bag slots. Im probly just over looking it but if anyone could help that would be great.
    To unlock them as a F2P player: Z-Store -> Account -> Storage.

They cost 250 Zen each.