test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thundrax has fallen.

bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
It is with great sadness that I must tell the Champions Online community that Scott Bennie, teacher, novelist, game writer, and veteran of CO, known to many of you as his Player Character, Thundrax, has passed away.

Scott had been an active participant in Champions Online since its earliest presence on the Internet, and contributed greatly to player interactions both in-game and here on the forums. But he was also one of the most prolific writers for the Champions tabletop RPG that CO is based on, as well as writer and designer for other games. If you have had any adventures in CO's version of northern Canada, or battled VIPER, then you've played with a fraction of Scott's contribution to Champions. Thundrax was also his PC or Game Master-controlled NPC in the many Champions PnP campaigns Scott played in or GM'd since the early 1980s.

Scott has suffered from health problems at least since early adulthood, which struggles he kept private from most people. His most recent serious bout which led to his hospitalization was a little over a year ago, which was announced here at the time. Contact information to his hospital was also shared both here and on the forums of Hero Games, publishers of Champions PnP. Reportedly the outpouring of well-wishes he received was moving and comforting to him. I for one am glad he got to know how much he is remembered, loved and respected.

No supervillain could lay the mighty Thundrax low, but sadly, mortality comes to all of us in the end. But we who are left behind can at least remember and honor him.

Comments

• miorummiorum Posts: 42 Arc User
    I'll paste my reply to the Tweet from the official CO account - I don't think I can really say more:

It was a pleasure and an honor to read Scott's work; to fight crime alongside Thundrax. An exceptional and pleasant man whose imagination sparked creativity in many a person. My heart goes out to his family, friends and others who feels this loss. Thank you, Scott. You're missed.
    In-game, I'm The_Kef -- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "That's really it for Champs."
  • diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User

Rest in peace kind soul.
  • reloadx101reloadx101 Posts: 4 Arc User
    @BrandonNB here. Lots of people has been coming up with a lot of great ideas. Like a memorial in Canada at Steelhead, A statue. But Personally, the best one I like is a NPC in front of the Powerhouse of him waving and saluting to players as they come and go. Some even suggested Him as a quest giver also. I thought perhaps waving and saluting players using emotes as a daily quest for new characters to get a bit of starting XP. Everyone had such amazing ideas. Thundrax was a true friend to many people including myself. I first met him as a new player, he even showed me around and gave me some globals for better gear. He was an awesome friend and will sorely be missed. So an NPC would keep him truely alive to many people.
  • lobodirus#5314 lobodirus Posts: 1 Arc User
    Thundrax was and is a legend. He has been with us since the beginning and nearly every player has met, spoken to or at least been waved at or saluted by him. We have him to thank for so much and he is the perfect example of what a Champion should be. He will truly be missed, but in the words of George Eliot a man is only truly dead when he has been forgotten. In that respect Thundrax will always be with us!

I love the idea of him being immortalized in the game. I think many players would love to continue to see him. I think a statue in Canada would be great, but I love the idea of an NPC that salutes and waves at players.
  • lup1slup1s Posts: 3 Arc User
    Rest in Peace hero...Fly High!!!
  • awesome#2511 awesome Posts: 1 Arc User
    rest in peace scott you were one of the best fly high ...
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    reloadx101 wrote: »
    @BrandonNB here. Lots of people has been coming up with a lot of great ideas. Like a memorial in Canada at Steelhead, A statue. But Personally, the best one I like is a NPC in front of the Powerhouse of him waving and saluting to players as they come and go. Some even suggested Him as a quest giver also. I thought perhaps waving and saluting players using emotes as a daily quest for new characters to get a bit of starting XP. Everyone had such amazing ideas. Thundrax was a true friend to many people including myself. I first met him as a new player, he even showed me around and gave me some globals for better gear. He was an awesome friend and will sorely be missed. So an NPC would keep him truely alive to many people.

Personally, I like the idea of making him a Sidekick, so he can continue to adventure with us and protect us
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    36mrmc8497c7.jpg

Did You Know: Scott was also an instrumental part of the Fallout franchise of video games? He was at Interplay at the time and I think one of his major contributions was the creation of the canine companion, Dogmeat, who (or his descendants) have been in almost every game since the original. The last time I think I spoke with him in-game was like, "Dude! You were an original designer of Fallout? I've known you since forever and I only just found out." And in typical fashion he was superhumble about it and gave credit to others.

So it was thanks to Sapphie (who posted the below quote in another thread) that I realized Scott's humble character, meaning both Thundrax and his actual, real-life personality, wouldn't have wanted a big statue of him (I was suggesting it, too, but having the night to think about it, Sapphie's right.)

On Memorials: "I once looked into a city in a parallel dimension where they built giant statues of dozens of superheroes. Gaudiest things I'd ever seen, and the city was littered with them. I'm sure they were honorable men and women, however, I was appalled at the thought that someone might do the same for me when I'm gone. If someone does, I hope VIPER blows the damn thing up."

Source: http://primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Thundrax#Personal_Philosophies

However, something like Thundrax as a NPC in or around the Powerhouse in Ren Cen where he spent a lot of his time in friendly PvP, or in Canada standing at the gates of the Steelhead base (which explains why the Hunter-Patriots don't rush in,) or patrolling the skies above the Canada Zone might be ideas he would have appreciated. If you wanted to give him dialogue options, the above link are actual samples of exactly what he would say.

Or perhaps all this is just because is just because I'm not ready to let him go yet, I don't know. Rest In Power, sempai.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Rest in peace, Champion. 🙏
  • ghost#7389 ghost Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I spoke with Thundrax here and there and there was always the salute/bow emote when we saw each other at alerts or in Ren Cen.
    I believe, no.. I KNOW, that there is not one player in CO who had a bad experience with the Ultimate Hero of CO.
    Fly High Champion, we will miss you badly.
    Characters: Cybrax - DJ of SinAmatic Entertainment Radio - http://my.powerstream.live:8800/
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    So, so many alerts with Thundrax over the years. I felt like I was his sidekick! I miss his presence.

I do hope the devs do something to memorialize him. It needs to be something obvious, grandiose or not. If it's just something like his logo somewhere players with no experience with the PnP game, or who didn't know him in this game, will be clueless about what is being represented. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Thudrax replace the rather colorless The Constable or Celestar in Canada as a mission giver.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • reloadx101reloadx101 Posts: 4 Arc User
    dialamx wrote: »
    reloadx101 wrote: »

Personally, I like the idea of making him a Sidekick, so he can continue to adventure with us and protect us

Yes I actually love that idea as well, Him being a Sidekick would be amazing.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I'd seen Thundrax about in game, played many missions with him, so I'm very sad to hear about Scott's death - clearly this was someone who meant a great deal to many in the Community.

I definitely agree that he, and his character, should be made a permanent fixture in the game. I really like the idea of him being a questgiver in Steelhead/Canada and I like the idea of a quest (or perk?) giving access to a Summon Device to allow Thundrax to continue to participate in the game whenever there is need.
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    I'm so sorry to hear of Scott's passing. I'd always enjoyed seeing and interacting with Thundrax in-game. He was a kind and iconic presence. I'd only learned last year of both his health issues and his offline contributions to the Champions universe.

I'll miss seeing him. We are all poorer for his loss.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    I do hope the devs do something to memorialize him. It needs to be something obvious, grandiose or not. If it's just something like his logo somewhere players with no experience with the PnP game, or who didn't know him in this game, will be clueless about what is being represented.

Considering that his logo is just a part of the Canadian flag, that would indeed be rather confusing. ;)

• phasestarphasestar Posts: 116 Arc User
    Rest in Peace Scott/Thundrax. Always friendly, always nice in-game. He will be remembered.
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    Scott's online obituary page was launched today, if people are inclined to leave messages of condolence.

https://www.myalternatives.ca/abbotsford/obituaries/2022-bennie-robert-scott?fbclid=IwAR1OvJ7ZsOhtjz_bUkUq3vc9YwFylm0cE7jbk2rh91nJ6aaK7HyUgSBxbjg
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    epelesker wrote: »
    Scott's online obituary page was launched today, if people are inclined to leave messages of condolence.

https://www.myalternatives.ca/abbotsford/obituaries/2022-bennie-robert-scott?fbclid=IwAR1OvJ7ZsOhtjz_bUkUq3vc9YwFylm0cE7jbk2rh91nJ6aaK7HyUgSBxbjg

Thank you for the link. In fact, thank you for all of your efforts and contributions around this unfortunate passing.
  • slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    wow, so sad. I'm not a very social person or close to many in CO, but Thundrax always dropped me a hello when I saw him in game. It's going to be weird not seeing him around rencentre.

- Starlance
    Today is the day of Scott's funeral service.

I can't promise anything of note related to this, but I wanted to at least let you know that I will be attending with the aim of representing those in the CO community who cannot be there to pay their final respects-- as much as it is for me, who had the privilege of getting the chance to know him in person.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/473738492263006208/969861567489380382/SPOILER_20220430_002124.jpg

All your kind thoughts are very appreciated, even if I feel like I hardly deserve the praise for it.
    I have a lot of regrets for not doing more, even if some of it really can't be helped.
    ----
    Thanks for going and representing the community who values and appreciates Scott's many contributions over the decades.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    I managed to take a couple pictures of the display at the reception following the service, which I'll share below.

xoqpxgzhckji.jpg
    xa4wpn0rjow9.jpg
    llikjq3x9glp.jpg
    j07iml6pqn10.jpg

One thing of note that happened that I did manage to connect with another of Scott's gaming friends, Steve Sloane-- credited in Champions of the North with the creation of Necrull, and part of the original SUNDER tabletop campaign as Avenger. So, for what it's worth, I was not the only Champion paying respects!

That said, I did my best to express the well-wishes of the community in a brief eulogy, though all the preparation in the world could not help my fumbling through the words a few times. I was a little more comfortable in the moments afterwards, when a few members of his family approached me to chat about some of his gaming related works.

So, there you have it. A hero laid to rest, a burden unshouldered.
    Thank you for all your encouragement.
    ----
    Love the Thundrax figurine (since Scott did not want any statues in his honor ;) )
    JwLmWoa.png
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Your being a conduit for this community to Scott over the past year-plus has been deeply appreciated, Epel.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    @epelesker Thank you so much for everything you did for the Champions Community, I couldn't make this trip but thank you for doing it for us and paying the last respects for all of us. It means a lot to me and my friends.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    dang...
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    I came back to check out Champions Online after being away a few years. I was mainly updating Star Trek Online and intended to play that for awhile. But I figured - what the heck. Let's peek in to CO and see what's up.
    Not a lot. But I had some fun familiarizing myself with what characters I could. Hanging out in Rencen while waiting on Alerts to pop, I started seeing some familiar faces here and there.

But one was significant by his absence. Every time previous I had made forays into CO - he was there. Thundrax - created and run by Scott Bennie of Hero Games. Smiling and waving in the central plaza to passing characters who emoted a wave at him. Chatting publicly and privately. Sometimes he'd be off somewhere with his supergroup. But if I spent enough time in the plaza in Rencen, eventually I'd see him about.

And I was beginning to wonder about him. Because I wasn't seeing him about. So I called out at random to ask when was the last time Thundrax had been in-game.

"Thundrax is gone, man. He passed away."
    "WHAT?"
    "You didn't know?"
    "I haven't been in this game for a couple of years now. Maybe up to 3-4!"
    "Oh man... the player passed back in March. There was a memorial and everything."

Okay... damn. That hit HARD. Harder than I thought it might.

For context - I'm a collector of Hero Games pen and paper books. Have been since 1991 or so. I don't have them all. But Scott Bennie was a familiar name to me due to his contributions to Hero Games sourcebooks. I was also aware of some of his computer game credits.

I can't say I KNEW the guy personally. But there's HISTORY there. The man's life was significant. (Though he being the humble sort - would've denied that.)

I play City of Heroes on Homecoming rogue server. I know some of the "Neo-Devs" there (I made some small contributions to efforts to keep the game alive and bring it back). And I made a request - that Thundrax be given some place on the rogue servers of Homecoming such as we've done for others like Ascendant and a very small handful of others.

I knew it was a long shot, given that to the best of my knowledge Scott never played in COH at all. He was Champions through and through to the end. But I thought some recognition of the history of his contributions - which ultimately did lead to COH even being made in the first place, might be appropriate. (Some of the original Developer's "Signature" characters were "file numbers knocked off" versions of Champions Pen and Paper campaign characters that they played before getting the idea to make City of Heroes.)

Ultimately it was reasoned that my argument for the request was a bit thin - he was never part of the community over there. Either back in the "Live" days or on the revived COH rogue servers. And I agreed that it was pretty thin. I knew my request was a long shot in the first place. So this has not and will not happen. It would possibly set a precedent that might be taken advantage of in the future. ( Though I still think a veiled reference to Stan Lee as a character should still be put in and I occasionally still suggest it. )

I hope the idea of putting Thundrax in Steelhead station in Canada as a mission giver or informational character works out. And perhaps it's better this way.

However - I did make something. The following is a version of Thundrax that I came up with using the COH engine. I used it while I was making my case and comparing it to CO screenshots and artwork from the Primus Database page on Thundrax.

di45kFz.png

Rest well, Scott Bennie,
    Fly high, Thundrax.
    Today, July 1, is Canada Day. Wouldn't it have been fitting and nice if the Devs had rolled outsomething to honor Soctt/Thundrax for the current event? Missed opportunity :(
    JwLmWoa.png
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    I saw a blond hair and for a short second during rendering thought it was Thundrax. I almost saluted then saw it was a Homelander cosplay. Then I remembered. Just bummed me out.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
    > @jaazaniah1 said:
    > Today, July 1, is Canada Day. Wouldn't it have been fitting and nice if the Devs had rolled outsomething to honor Soctt/Thundrax for the current event? Missed opportunity :(

I doubt given all that what worked on this week.
    Well, he did pass away 3 months ago, so plenty of time to implement something relatively simple. E.g. they could have replaced Liberty Guard with Thundrax on the day when we have to light off fireworks in Canada.
    JwLmWoa.png
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    We do have something in the works, unfortunately we weren't able to finish it for this week. If all goes well, it'll roll out next week.​​
    That's great to hear! Looking forward to the unveiling :)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Love
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Good to hear.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    Okay - this is an excellent thing to see!

f788gH2.png

• rojan1987rojan1987 Posts: 37 Arc User
    I used to say hello to him when i saw him
  • Its taking some time for me to get back into the game with his loss I could not log in for awhile we used to talk a lot and Countless waves and salutes in my direction while playing the game Thundrax was the one who explained the game to me about 4 years ago and ever since then I would always send him a /tell telling him to have a good day.. he was a kind and generous person and the entire Champions online community will be different with him not logging in and saluting us from time to time.

I miss you thundrax - You have earned your wins among the angels in Heaven fly high my friend fly high ;;;