test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reimagining Ravenspeaker (New 22)

locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 330 Arc User
edited May 2022 in Costumes and Concepts
Billy Edenshaw has had a rough go over the years, amassing a cult following of costume critics that seems to extend beyond even Champions itself. His very tribal aesthetic is often seen as in poor taste, and I have to somewhat agree, personally. I decided to do a reimagining of him as part of my routine costume exercise activity.

I like this modernized version so much that I'm going to adapt it into my KigaVerse as his 2nd edition, updated costume. I tried not to betray his heritage, backstory, or costume theme and color scheme whilst bringing a fresh, modern vibe to his appearance.
52063205897_976e49245b_o.png52064737595_347bf6c5e9_o.png
52064737550_efe7d447e7_o.png

The raven beak mask was something I did try to remodel and include, but it wasn't working, and isn't needed at all. I did, however, strive to give him Raven eyes, in-keeping with his powers.
Post edited by locochoco#7652 on

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Ravenspeaker from the books has a pretty atypical personality for a superhero, being an avatar for the Haida trickster-god Raven. TBH running around half-naked is something he'd probably do sometimes just to stir up controversy. ;) Cryptic didn't go with his book-accurate clothing aside from the raven mask, though. (Usually a Haida shaman's robes, sometimes a standard dress suit with an added Haida art accessory.) If you were to give him a more typical super-hero costume, this one looks like a fine rendition.

But carved masks, particularly the Raven mask, are an important element in Haida spiritual iconography, and Ravenspeaker is essentially a powerful Haida shaman. I'm definitely not saying your costume has to have it, but "isn't needed at all" is kind of an outsider perspective.
  • locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    bulgarex wrote: »
    But carved masks, particularly the Raven mask, are an important element in Haida spiritual iconography, and Ravenspeaker is essentially a powerful Haida shaman. I'm definitely not saying your costume has to have it, but "isn't needed at all" is kind of an outsider perspective.

Very fair, and I sincerely apologize to Haida culture. That was a moment of ignorance. I can definitely take a second look at his mask. The helmet portion Cryptic designers used (because it fits best) was my main obstacle. I don't find it matches. Particularly the round discs above the ears. I will try again, never-the-less given this new information. My designs never intend to compromise anything about the source material of the character.

This needs to be addressed.
    The Haida mask actually brought everything together. I should have guessed a much.

52065886765_edcdba3eb0_o.png

Very fair, and I sincerely apologize to Haida culture. That was a moment of ignorance. I can definitely take a second look at his mask. The helmet portion Cryptic designers used (because it fits best) was my main obstacle. I don't find it matches. Particularly the round discs above the ears. I will try again, never-the-less given this new information. My designs never intend to compromise anything about the source material of the character.

No apologies necessary. You've been hella more respectful to the character than Cryptic developers.

And this new design is gorgeous. Superheroic, practical, and culturally relevant. I'm confident Ravenspeaker's creator, Scott Bennie, would have approved.

IMHO Cryptic should ask your permission to use this design for all Ravenspeaker's appearances.

No apologies necessary. You've been hella more respectful to the character than Cryptic developers.

And this new design is gorgeous. Superheroic, practical, and culturally relevant. I'm confident Ravenspeaker's creator, Scott Bennie, would have approved.

IMHO Cryptic should ask your permission to use this design for all Ravenspeaker's appearances.

Thanks so much. A lot of care went into this one for obvious reasons. So it means a lot to hear.

• Amazing work! It's costume like these that inspires me to create an indigenous hero! : )
    [ @Skaargoroth in-game / @summerfields on the Forums ]
    Current character roaster: The Iconica, Lady Mythica, Black Jackal, Omni-Woman, Fantomask
    Currently waiting for: Moar comics! And maybe City of Titans, too. Hopefully!
    Amazing work! It's costume like these that inspires me to create an indigenous hero! : )

Thanks so much!

First Nations peoples are something that, while may not seem underrepresented in mainstream superhero content, still is in some ways. To look at Marvel or DC, you could count the number of big name, prestigious First Nations heroes on one hand.

Ravenspeaker is a defiant exception to what seems like a rule.
  • Amazing work! It's costume like these that inspires me to create an indigenous hero! : )

Thanks so much!

First Nations peoples are something that, while may not seem underrepresented in mainstream superhero content, still is in some ways. To look at Marvel or DC, you could count the number of big name, prestigious First Nations heroes on one hand.

Ravenspeaker is a defiant exception to what seems like a rule.

You're very welcome!

And oh, absolutely! 110%! All of my characters are based on what I would love to see, be it POCs, First Nations, and LGBTQIA folks. Personally, I find creating First Nation characters to be a bit difficult than your standard "Gadget Hero #22281". That said, I always push myself to create something new and exciting. : )
    [ @Skaargoroth in-game / @summerfields on the Forums ]
    Current character roaster: The Iconica, Lady Mythica, Black Jackal, Omni-Woman, Fantomask
    Currently waiting for: Moar comics! And maybe City of Titans, too. Hopefully!
    edited June 2022
    To the best of my recollection, Ravenspeaker is the only First Nations superhero mentioned in the current official Champions Universe. There was another for a previous incarnation of the CU, the superstrong Polar Bear, who interestingly had a standard superhero "radiation accent" mutative event origin, rather than deriving from aboriginal spiritual traditions.

The creators of the official CU made a concerted effort to be not only ethnically inclusive, but to spread superhumans across the globe, not to just concentrate on the United States; and to make them genuinely representative of their native countries and cultures. In that regard they've gone farther than either Marvel or DC.
    edited June 2022
    Polar Bear sound very interesting. I often wish CO made efforts to port in new properties for new content.
    EDIT: (I'm sure at one point they have, but I mean, I wish it was a continued effort to expend the the COEU without pulling a Runescape and losing control of scale and organization. You know, paced, focused growth that takes as long as it takes to work well.)

I went a touch further on this Ravenspeaker design since last checking in. I removed the tight cowl from his neck, removing the obstructions over his tights pattern near the logo as the linework is rather complimentary of the logo. Then to tie it together in similar way again, I applied the Cover head layer, which connects the helm to the neck using the same shade of red, and trim off nicely at his chin with the curved mouth accessories of his Haida mask. Deploying the cover meant removing the darkness from around his eye. Although I felt they lent a raven feather fuzz sort of aesthetic, it warmed up his natural character appeal as a hero from beneath the mask.

I've held onto this -Design- and still showcase it frequently. Billy will be hanging around M. City most of Red Winter, as well. :)
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    That is the kinda Costume Contests they should be hosting. To remake these outdated NPCs. But the don't really take advice so there you go. Instead we get mascot or some goofy unimportant rubbish.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix