test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

newbie question about Glacier and Behemot in cosmics

vulkan#5365 vulkan Posts: 24 Arc User
edited June 2022 in Power Discussion
Hi folks, I have a question.
I'm starting to do Cosmics with my main, a Inferno, and I'm enjoying a lot. I stay a bit away from the big bad guy, I learned to block at the right times, and I'm not using AoE damage to avoid hitting the adds, this basic stuff.

Now I'm thinking on leveling my Glacier or my Behemot. They are Tanks. What would they do at Ape, for example? I wish to start with them and NOT ruin everyone's fun in the process (like using the wrong skill and making the big guy run to the wrong direction).
Thanks in advance.

| Vulkan, the fiery faun | Lionmaru, the himbo lion | Golden Kalf, the bull of heaven | Phorbas, the horned archer | Tiger Claw, the kung fu disco guy | Herakles, the... well, the Herakles | Winterwind, the god who came from the cold | Pogo, my werewolf fursona | Vulkann, Vulkan from another universe | Zardoz, the half demon mage | Urho, the telepath in leather | Moonshadow, the werewolf rocker |
Tagged:

Comments

• vulkan#5365 vulkan Posts: 24 Arc User
    (edited because typos)
    | Vulkan, the fiery faun | Lionmaru, the himbo lion | Golden Kalf, the bull of heaven | Phorbas, the horned archer | Tiger Claw, the kung fu disco guy | Herakles, the... well, the Herakles | Winterwind, the god who came from the cold | Pogo, my werewolf fursona | Vulkann, Vulkan from another universe | Zardoz, the half demon mage | Urho, the telepath in leather | Moonshadow, the werewolf rocker |
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2022
    Honestly, I've used a Behemoth before my (Main) Main Tank became FF, pretty much was different back then since a few powers were changed in the setup for the AT but this -should- be a viable setup for the Behemoth. Your rotation is really just: Haymaker as much as you can, Thunderclap here and there, Defensive Combo a few times if needed and well... just ask a fellow Tank player to help you out at Cosmics. Kiga is the easiest one to do since you'll just need to block his charge shot and his breath, Ape is just half charge Haymaker in between punches (and block his AoE) and Dino is pretty much the same as Ape but with her bites. Again, you can ask a fellow Tank player for assistance and I'm sure they'll be glad to help out :>

Build for Behemoth AT: https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=38&n=&d=D3170N3PQGMA063023J000J22MJE00JA03JI1FJF00JP0JJD03JC00JR1JJL03JO0i000000002Jea3T363T3B30000000000&e=
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    edited July 2022
    Honestly, I've used a Behemoth before my (Main) Main Tank became FF, pretty much was different back then since a few powers were changed in the setup for the AT but this -should- be a viable setup for the Behemoth. Your rotation is really just: Haymaker as much as you can, Thunderclap here and there, Defensive Combo a few times if needed and well... just ask a fellow Tank player to help you out at Cosmics. Kiga is the easiest one to do since you'll just need to block his charge shot and his breath, Ape is just half charge Haymaker in between punches (and block his AoE) and Dino is pretty much the same as Ape but with her bites. Again, you can ask a fellow Tank player for assistance and I'm sure they'll be glad to help out :>

Build for Behemoth AT: https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=38&n=&d=D3170N3PQGMA063023J000J22MJE00JA03JI1FJF00JP0JJD03JC00JR1JJL03JO0i000000002Jea3T363T3B30000000000&e=

Thank you so much for your tips and build. This starting was exactly what I was needing. :)

(edited because I deleted the quote)
    Post edited by vulkan#5365 on
  • zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    More gameplay related than build related, but as a new tank, I highly recommend soaking every chance you get, especially since you don't have GCR gear and OV defender gloves yet.

Block timing is #1 priority. The best gear in the game isn't going to save you from a missed block. The sooner you get the timing down, the sooner you can MT once you complete your endgame tanking set.

See you at cosmics!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Learning the "tells" to know when to block and when to attack are the great advice.

Learning by soaking is good, but difficult at Kiga since everyone yells at anyone trying to soak there. However, you can still learn the "tells" by attacking from the sides of Kiga. Breath and the right hand fist AoE attacks are the ones you need to learn about.

Speaking of the "Right hand, fist AoE" of Kiga that so many people misunderstand is: it is an AoE based around the target. Which means, the closer the tank is to the melee players, the better chance they will be hit by this attack, through no fault of their own. It is up to the tank to stand as far back on the top pedestal to prevent the melee players from being hit by this attack. Too many players keep telling the melee to stand back. NO! If they are being hit by this power, it is (usually) the Main Tank who is too close the melee players.

Also, this is the only attack of Kiga's that is soakable. Just as the fist pound of Ape and head bob (hungering maw) of Dino/Baby are the only soakable attacks these cosmics produce. And soakable means: the damage is split evenly among those hit. I believe the max target limit of all 3 attacks is three players.

Dino is strange in that, when main aggro seems to be lost, but she is Hungering Mawing someone, players on the SIDES can get hit. Just ask anyone trying to GET aggro from the sides. I'm not sure what the max number of targets is for this.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited July 2022
    More gameplay related than build related, but as a new tank, I highly recommend soaking every chance you get, especially since you don't have GCR gear and OV defender gloves yet.

Block timing is #1 priority. The best gear in the game isn't going to save you from a missed block. The sooner you get the timing down, the sooner you can MT once you complete your endgame tanking set.

See you at cosmics!

Thank you for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.

(edited because I didn't include the quote)

edited July 2022
    warcanch wrote: »
    Learning the "tells" to know when to block and when to attack are the great advice.

Learning by soaking is good, but difficult at Kiga since everyone yells at anyone trying to soak there. However, you can still learn the "tells" by attacking from the sides of Kiga. Breath and the right hand fist AoE attacks are the ones you need to learn about.

Speaking of the "Right hand, fist AoE" of Kiga that so many people misunderstand is: it is an AoE based around the target. Which means, the closer the tank is to the melee players, the better chance they will be hit by this attack, through no fault of their own. It is up to the tank to stand as far back on the top pedestal to prevent the melee players from being hit by this attack. Too many players keep telling the melee to stand back. NO! If they are being hit by this power, it is (usually) the Main Tank who is too close the melee players.

Also, this is the only attack of Kiga's that is soakable. Just as the fist pound of Ape and head bob (hungering maw) of Dino/Baby are the only soakable attacks these cosmics produce. And soakable means: the damage is split evenly among those hit. I believe the max target limit of all 3 attacks is three players.

Dino is strange in that, when main aggro seems to be lost, but she is Hungering Mawing someone, players on the SIDES can get hit. Just ask anyone trying to GET aggro from the sides. I'm not sure what the max number of targets is for this.​​

Dang, to be a tank is a bit more complicated than I thought.

(edited because I forgot to add the quote)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Once you have the tells and block timing down tanking is not so bad. I have to say that the most challenging role to play is healer since you never know when some tank or dps will miss a block and need your immediate help.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    Ape is one where I see many tanks blocking when the actual "danger" has passed and you should be attacking.

For instance, the roar that produces the stun. I see many tanks waiting well past the danger point before attacking. It's not quite intuitive, but you can stop blocking and start attacking approximately 1 second after he starts that "wind up".

Another one is, if you have some ranged attack or charged up ranged attack on your tank, AFTER the ground pound that knocks everyone back, use it. By that I mean the absolute INSTANT after the pound. Don't wait til you've finished getting knocked back.

You have about 2+ seconds before the lava patch appears. And, if you have full Defiance stacks, just ignore the lava patch damage. But, make sure you keep it back away from Ape, please. But always be ready to block again after that pound because often the fireball throw goes to the tanks. Unblocked, even a tank can die from that.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Once you have the tells and block timing down tanking is not so bad. I have to say that the most challenging role to play is healer since you never know when some tank or dps will miss a block and need your immediate help.

True, I cannot see myself as a healer.

warcanch wrote: »
    Ape is one where I see many tanks blocking when the actual "danger" has passed and you should be attacking.

For instance, the roar that produces the stun. I see many tanks waiting well past the danger point before attacking. It's not quite intuitive, but you can stop blocking and start attacking approximately 1 second after he starts that "wind up".

Another one is, if you have some ranged attack or charged up ranged attack on your tank, AFTER the ground pound that knocks everyone back, use it. By that I mean the absolute INSTANT after the pound. Don't wait til you've finished getting knocked back.

You have about 2+ seconds before the lava patch appears. And, if you have full Defiance stacks, just ignore the lava patch damage. But, make sure you keep it back away from Ape, please. But always be ready to block again after that pound because often the fireball throw goes to the tanks. Unblocked, even a tank can die from that.​​

Thanks, all these advices will be very useful.