test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Public Event Chain: Bad Batch

ziggy#5693 ziggy Posts: 32 Arc User
edited April 2022 in Fan Base Alpha
Hey all! Ziggy here.

So I've been DMing in Champions for about 5 years now, and I've had a lot of time to consider what would be a good way to give back to the roleplay community. Initially I plotted things such as SG alliances, nabbing players for impromptu events and just trying to build up on my own SG. However with the introduction of new servers and new networking options within the CO community, I have opted for a public event that players can opt into and attend each week. With this being said, I'd like to introduce you all to the Bad Batch story!

This story will revolve around a drug ring that has been spreading the latest of enhancement drugs throughout the city, causing new heroes to rise, then come crashing down in horrific fashion. Heroes will take part in investigations and busts of this superpowered gang of miscreants as they discover just how far down the chain it all goes! Players who attend will be recorded and shown in future posts so that the community can see and acknowledge the actions of the characters in the story.

Players can sign up by sending a mail to Ziggy@gilbourne5 ingame or by messaging Cagi#9427 on Discord. Please provide the following information:

Character name
@ handle
Character age (This is more to keep unnecessary themes at bay at the appropriate times)
Powers
A small snippet of their backstory if you so wish

This will be a freeform event chain, meaning no third-party rolling or PvE/PvP, just good old-fashioned storytelling and in-channel emoting. All posts will take place in a privately-hosted channel where attendees will be removed after the arc's completion. To join the channel, right-click your CHAT tab on the top-left corner of your chat window and go to CHANNELS. An invite for the Public RP Event channel should be there by the time the event is ready to start once your information is sent.

A few small rules:

1. The usual business of no harassment or inappropriate comments. This may possibly have 18+ themes but please don't take that as an excuse to describe the squishiness of your gibbly bits, engage in erotic conduct or take it as an excuse to toss about derogatory words.
2. At the present, nobody has a blacklisting or any form of 'charge' against them, so I will not be discriminating on who attends. Please don't be dissuaded or mistreat another who might have a bad rep in your eyes. If they truly are so evil, they won't last long.
3. Power is expected with heroes, but don't use that as a reason to godmode or powergame. Being an almighty all-powerful being, this event chain might not be for one who's of a cosmic scale, so a bit more of a scaled-down character may be more your ball park for both story justification and enjoyment!
4. Please be patient. Not all events will be combat-based, and thus trying to force a fight may only lead to negative consequences IC, and possibly OOC if it's found to be intentionally derailing of the story.

With that being said, look to the following post for the prompt and information!
Post edited by ziggy#5693 on

Comments

• ziggy#5693 ziggy Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    Event 1: Tragedy at Ravenswood
    Event date: Saturday 9th April 20:00 GMT-0 (12pm server time)

An obituary for a young hero by the name of Elena C. Paulius has appeared in the newspaper. As a student of Ravenswood Academy, she had a sudden surge in her grades, and was a worthy candidate for the Champions, or even UNTIL as she was later discovered to have had powers during this period of time. She was holding off on a hero name to reveal it at her major debut, where she would publicly unveil a mutation that allowed her to channel and manipulate fire. Her cause of death was found to be overdose of an unknown, new kind of enhancing drug.

Now, as mournful heroes, students and family members gather, an open ceremony has attracted officers, teachers and uncomfortable classmates to the scene, who may have information on what's been going on at Ravenswood Academy.
    Event 1 Synopsis:

At the funeral service, five would-be heroes gathered to investigate the situation. These were Blue Vulcan, Selena V'nami, Polymath, Molly Arefu, and Nightjar.
    What they gathered was that prior to her death, Elena had a best friend called Azad Falk, a close companion of the Paulius family until one year ago. Elena became distant with her friend, and began spending time alone, as a hero, albeit with a strong social media background. Over time, her hair grew more and more white as her heroic abilities developed. Her body was found to be gaunt and emaciated, as if the very tissue from her body was consumed inside herself.
    The only person Elena met in the past year a bookish boy in the cafeteria called Gisel Serafin, a student with high grades and a gangly figure.
    Serafin is known to converse only in the cafeteria and strangely goes on visits to Carl's Gym every Saturday.
    The police are investigating a drug called Hype, which they believe to be in connection with Elena's overdose, and the possibility of a drug ring in connection with Ravenswood's student body.

Paulius' body is presently being kept by the MCPD, although none are allowed to see the body without clearance from up high.
    Event 2: Get Hyped for Hype
    Event date: Saturday 16th April 20:00 GMT-0 (12pm server time)

The hunt is on for the source of the drug known as Hype, and heroes are able to make their own initiatives across the city to see their justice done!
    Event 2 Synopsis:

Blue Vulcan and Nightjar chased up Gisel Serafin who makes a drop-off at Carl's Gym in the locker room. As the spindly student was placing money in a locker underneath a rotten towel, Nightjar intercepted and picked him up. A large man, built like a literal gorilla stepped forth to stop Vulcan from taking his payment from the locker. A battle ensued that resulted in the dismissal of Titus Ajax, aka "Gorilla" through the wall. His gang watched in fear and awe as the heroic duo kept the brute at bay. In a moment of desperation, he aimed to guzzle down his bag of Hype, revealing himself to be the supplier. His batch was however, ejected forcefully from his gut, and then destroyed, causing the locker room to explode, killing Serafin in the process.
    Panicked, Gorilla surrendered, and revealed that he picked the drugs up from a woman called Hulder, the second-hand of the developer known as Dr Hype. His reason for surrender was that he was also on Hype, and needed more in order to survive.

As the heroes gathered at the sight of the pick-up, being a nearby basketball court, they found no trace, and even worse, they were under assault from VIPER, who aimed to capture Gorilla. Whatever their agenda, they seemed to be aggressive towards Dr Hype's forces. After VIPER was defeated, police arrived on scene, where Nightjar vanished with Gorilla, only to leave him for questioning later. Vulcan and Nightjar were initially suspects for manslaughter, however a mysterious benefactor supported the situation, stating that the cause of the explosion was in fact Gorilla, who later passed away in a cell from an inability to maintain his energy reserves without Hype. His body was shrivelled and disfigured, further accentuating the horrors of the Hype drug.

Now, our heroes are left without leads and without a way to reach Dr Hype, whose presence seems to have all but vanished, save for the nefarious involvement of VIPER, which has all parties in shock.
    Event 3: Snake Charmer
    Event date: Sunday 1st May 20:00 GMT-0 (12pm server time)

Following VIPER's incursion, their presence is once again shining out as citizens and local authorities wander the streets of Downtown Millennium City, praising VIPER and assaulting innocents.
    Event 3 synopsis:

A mass of brainwashed civilians gathered at the Cryptic building, chanting "PRAISE VIPER" while assaulting citizens and law enforcement alike with deadly force. Heroes Nightjar and Blue Vulcan intercepted, finding the source of the brainwashing to be a pheromone-based substance. After developing a counter-agent to the pheromones, witness testimony led to a VIPER base not far away. There, a bunker full of various arms and men was infiltrated while they were mid-evacuation upon learning the pheromone power was countered. While in a convoy, a supervillain by the name of Snake Charmer was trapped in her transport and taken away by Nightjar's vehicles, while Vulcan stole away with a number of VIPER servers. Both were delivered to UNTIL HQ for detainment and containment.

Data from the servers and interrogation uprooted something deeper into the case, revealing that Snake Charmer was considered a "prototype" of Dr Hype's research, now being used for VIPER's purposes to create a new line of tailor-made super soldiers. The research is being conducted at a remote base in Canada...
    Event 4: Live Up to the Hype!
    Event date: Saturday 4th June 20:00 GMT-0 (1pm server time) (9pm British)

The assault on the Hype production facility is raring to go, with UNTIL forces at the ready! The time to shut down the production of Hype and VIPER's super soldier project is nigh!
    An UNTIL raid took place on a VIPER base in the north-western Canadian mountain range, where one Dr Heinrich Penn (also known as Dr Hype) was being held captive for his research on the Hype drug. Leading the charges were the heroes Nightjar and Blue Vulcan. Following a destabilisation of the base's defenses, UNTIL were able to make a complete surrounding of the base, only to be held at figurative gunpoint by VIPER. There, they found a biological weapon sealed within a tower. The weapon was a mass of flesh infused with Hype, aiming to use its need to consume energy and unleash it en masse, devouring every source of energy until starved.

Vulcan held attentions long enough for Nightjar to ascend the tower and inject the weapon with a counteragent, resulting in significant harm to her health. With the weapon disabled, UNTIL arrested the VIPER agents and seized Heinrich Penn, who was maintained under mind control using a previous Hype-infused agent using his own wife's genes, being the Snake Charmer. Upon awakening from his daze, he looked on with horror.

Penn was tried for numerous crimes and felonies, to which he plead guilty on all charges, making the following statement:

"Hype was never intended to be a tool for destruction. I wished to usher in a new age of heroes, using those very same heroes that walk among us. My work needed refinement, and time I was not granted by my peers, and resorted to extreme measures. Never did I imagine that all of this would come about from my work. I wish to mourn my wife, and consign myself to the mercy of the justice system."

As for how VIPER located Dr Hype in the first place? A roaming ominous statement is all that is said with no context or methods of interrogation or mind-reading able to pertain its meaning:
    "A serpent slithers among Eden, hidden amongst white feathers."
    That marks the end of the Bad Batch arc! Thanks all to those who attended, and some time later we'll look at a different day/time for other timezones and interested players!