test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reimagining the Death Dragon (New 22)

locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 332 Arc User
edited February 2022 in Costumes and Concepts
I decided to reimagine the Death Dragon and give him a decidedly more dark, evil and ominous aesthetic, as well a more martial artist type of vibe. I worked from a Tenebrous theme for the color scheme.

51891210211_d07f8ab7d5_o.png
51890249722_b705b6776b_o.png51891548314_c196ea810e_o.png

The shoulders of his robe did not poke through his shoulder armor in the heroic stance. The shoulder armor could be changed.

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    The Death Dragon as depicted in CO could certainly use some help -- what you see in-game could only be its minor avatar. The real DD is far larger, and styled like an Oriental dragon, long and sinuous and wingless. But CO doesn't have a character model for that.

You might find some inspiration in the Death Dragon's color scheme, as presented in the book, Watchers of the Dragon: "The Death Dragon... is an immensely long, black, spectral dragon. At the center of its breast is its heart, an area so dark and full of evil that it makes the rest of its body pale by comparison. Its fangs and certain other features are set off by a vile greenish glow."

Mind you, the Death Dragon is itself only one aspect of THE Dragon, source of the profoundest evil in the human psyche. The forms it can take are almost always draconian/ophidian, but their appearance and strength depend on what type of body its worshipers can craft for it to possess, and how much of its limitless power they can contain.
  • Options
    dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    So is the giant Asian styled dragon that appears in the Hi Pan Alert the real Death Dragon?

8504828bb09d5c4877744cd4740625b11580941015.jpg

This one in "Red Banner Ruin"
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Only if Cryptic is playing fast and loose with the lore again. The Death Dragon is imprisoned by ancient spells it can only try to escape once every sixty years, which is why the Tournament of the Dragon is held at that time to find the greatest fighter in the world to battle it. If the fighter wins the DD is bound for another sixty years. If he/she loses the Death Dragon is free to spread suffering over the world until the next Tournament.

I would guess the dragon in the alert is a real Oriental dragon, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 332 Arc User
    Indeed. My design was meant to be a retake on the avatar seen and fought by the PC in one of the early-stage Westside missions.

I actually like the serpentine Chinese dragon depiction here, even though as Bulgarex stated above, he can manifest into whatever shape his worshippers end up conjuring.