test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yes Another PA Rework

vonqballvonqball Posts: 933 Arc User
I know you PA users are dreading the day that the PA set receives another loving caress from on high... but screw you guys, this birdie is gonna sing!

My issue with PA is pretty simple... it doesn't play nice with the other sets. To me this is unacceptable in a game about making custom heroes.

So, my goal here is to make PA work with the rest of reality, while not changing the playstyle too much. I mean, some people might say that PA does too much damage for a full-mobility 100' range AoE set. But I never would! I mean the energy cost totally offsets all of those concerns making it totally balanced!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm gonna leave number tweaks out of this and just focus on the mechanical changes I think would work.

1) Hand slots become maintains. All hand slots just switch to becoming normal maintains. ez

2) Chest slots become maintains, but have access to the "chest slot" advantage that allows them to persist based on how long they have been maintained. We have powers like this already. The extra stipulation is that using non-PA powers, and other "chest slot" powers will cancel them immediately. Fire all weapons will get the "chest slot" tag by default.

3) Head/Shoulder slots remain toggles. These toggles increase the cost of PA power by a %, and increase the cost of non-PA powers by an additional %

With the right numbers tweaks, I think this can keep the existing flavor of PA while allowing it to work with other powersets.

Superman w eyebeams? Yes we can!

Cyber soldier w Minigun and Gatling? Yes yes yes!

Guy that just wants to fire a plasma beam and not have lasers shooting out of his butt to feel like he can participate? I got you bro!

Thanks for reading, if you like or hate this idea please feel free to comment.

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,522 Arc User
    No problem with looking at PA after Earth, Celestial, Force and Wind all get their long over due revamps. Once those are done they can nerf adjust PA as much as they want.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,106 Arc User
    PA is fine.

Individually, the toggles are less dps than just about anything else. They shine when you do 3 toggles at once. But, the balance is just where it needs to be.

As Jaaz said, seek to adjust the other sets that have LONG LONG LONG needed a rework.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    No problem with looking at PA after Earth, Celestial, Force and Wind all get their long over due revamps. Once those are done they can nerf adjust PA as much as they want.

Like I stated. This isn't about the power level of PA. My issue is that most of the set can't be used with any other sets. The additional delay mechanic needed to "balance" PA is such an awkward solution. I just think we can do better.

Ofc other sets also need attention. However, my ideas on reworking those are less cohesive. Since the devs seem to lack ideas, I'd rather share the ones I have instead of hoping they come up with something. No one was expecting a HW rework after all.

• metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,090 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    I probably talk about new and melee PA powers a zillion. I would not like if they change the mechanism of some powers or how they work. Sonic arrow anyone?

New Power
    Mechanical Chariot
    Power Armor Lounge and headbutt
    Works while PA powers are active
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,090 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    vonqball wrote: »

Superman w eyebeams? Yes we can!
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1216181/optic-beam-power-suggestion

Is like the game doesn't even know it's a superhero game and fails to deliver many superhero essentials in high variety. I would say give eye beam a PA break free advantage but they can just make new powers. It's irritating me that I have to beg for this stuff so I can guest how the devs feel.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 668 Arc User
    I probably talk about new and melee PA powers a zillion. I would not like if they change the mechanism of some powers or how they work. Sonic arrow anyone?

New Power
    Mechanical Chariot
    Power Armor Lounge and headbutt
    Works while PA powers are active

This, add new powers to it, besides there are sorts of already some you can use outside toggles. Some new variants would be nice still, of course. But as Jaaz also said, some others need desperate attention first. At least PA works in itself, unlike Gadgeteering for example.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,522 Arc User
    vonqball wrote: »
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

Like I stated. This isn't about the power level of PA. My issue is that most of the set can't be used with any other sets. The additional delay mechanic needed to "balance" PA is such an awkward solution. I just think we can do better.

Ofc other sets also need attention. However, my ideas on reworking those are less cohesive. Since the devs seem to lack ideas, I'd rather share the ones I have instead of hoping they come up with something. No one was expecting a HW rework after all.

An important considertation is that when one attracts a dev's attention to something they may just nerf it, rather than do what you are hoping for. They may decide to further "balance" PA by nerfing it (rather than the more player desired effect of making other power sets more competitive)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 933 Arc User
    I'm not too worried about that. A PA nerf is almost inevitable at some point.