test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solo Builds?

geedubzgeedubz Posts: 6 Arc User
edited April 2022 in Power Discussion
I know that's a vague question, but I'm returning after a long time out and am looking to ease back in. Basically I'm interested in pets or dots, or a Superman/Omniman character. I'm not asking for one character with all of that, just some suggestions for solo builds in any one of those play styles, if possible. I just spent about a hour searching here and google for something like that, but a lot of guides are either severely outdated or don't quite fit what I'm after. Anyhow, sorry if this is the wrong category to have posted this.

Also, are builds from 2015 and up still somewhat valid? I know mmos change (builds that may have been able to solo once, may not be able to anymore), so I've been trying narrow my research to around 2019 and up. Is it okay to look into older builds?
Tagged:

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    Yea, in the future, a topic that's primarily concerning a build should go in the Builds and Roles sub-forum:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/categories/builds-and-roles

Anyways, you can make a solo build from practically any powerset now. There are certain things that can make it a bit easier (like having a wide and/or mobile AoE for trash), but it'd help to narrow it down a bit more. Of the three (pets, DoTs, Might-type build) which would you want to try the most atm? Also, it may help to specify what type of solo content you want to do.
    Also, are builds from 2015 and up still somewhat valid?
    If a build is from 2015 then that means it's likely pretty outdated, but the extent will somewhat depend on the build in question and what sort of powers are in it (since different sets & powers have been revamped at various points in time).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    I have a healing tank that does dps. Soloed Nightmare Invasion at level 26. Maybe if I wasn't afraid of getting nerfed I'd share it. That's a pitch the rest Is for you to figure out.
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,425 Arc User
    If you only plan to do solo content, something like this (a dual passive build) could do the trick. If you were going to show up to cosmics or other endgame content, something else would be better because one can't easily be both really good as a tank and really good as a dps without some serious investment in different sets of gear depending on the role (tank or dps). For solo content you'd go mostly for dex and take enough con to be as tough as you feel you need to be. Running in tank role you should be able to solo the QWZ. If you want to generate more aggro you could take Unleashed Rage (Commanding Presence) instead of Dimensional Collapse.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Gunslinger (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Ego: 8, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 12: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 1: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Soul Vortex (Soul Drain, Fear Machine, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Shadow Blast (Psychotic Break, Devoid, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia, Challenge!)
    Level 26: Mental Precision
    Level 29: Shadow Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Dimensional Collapse (Lingering Darkness)
    Level 35: Endorphin Rush
    Level 38: Fiery Embrace
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Displacement Superspeed
    Level 35: Stoic Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices
    Slot 1: Primus Spark Shield
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • geedubzgeedubz Posts: 6 Arc User
    Alright, thanks for the advice, Flowcyto. If I had to put those three possibilities in order of what I like most, it would have to be Pets, DoTs, then Superman type. I want to do as much solo PvE as possible. I don't mind working in groups, but I just don't want a build that relies on others to do dailies, farm currency, and solo the occasional legendary (if possible).

Thanks for the build, jaazaniah. I'm about to purchase a FF slot and wanted to make sure solo builds were still around.
    I have a healing tank that does dps. Soloed Nightmare Invasion at level 26. Maybe if I wasn't afraid of getting nerfed I'd share it. That's a pitch the rest Is for you to figure out.

Yeah that really doesn't help because I don't have enough experience to make builds on my own, but having seen many fun builds get burned for being fun (in other games, of course) I do understand your reasoning. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to devise a build like yours.
    If all you are going to do is dailies (assuming you mean Alerts) and farm events, almost any decent level 40 build should be able to do that (main exception I can think of are the Undead heroes during Tako time; the right build can solo them, but they take forever). If you mean the Ladyhawke missions you will need to be a little tougher. Lairs are slowly being updated to make them impossible to solo. Legendaries (assuming you mean Qwjibo, Kigatilik and Teliosaurus) also can not be soloed.

The devs believe that meaningful endgame content should be team oriented except for the QWZ, which is something they made, so it's okay to solo that.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    edited April 2022
    Yea, a lot of solo-able content is generally easy enough to be done by any type of build. Pet builds are a good bit different than normal builds in CO, though. Pets can take up many power slots, their own scaling isn't as clear-cut as for normal powers, their AI has to be worked around, and you may want to be in the Support role w/ a Aura passive (+Presence) to optimize them (assuming you have many of them). Also, pets don't tend to jive well w/ most high-end group content, so I'd keep such a build away from things like Cosmics.

DoTs are scattered around different powersets, but Telepathy is the one set that features them the most. However, Telepathy is a set that's not as good for solo/personal dps, and generally works better for teams w/ all of its CC, support, and debuff options. It can still work in solo just fine, but it wouldn't be quite as straightforward as other types of builds.

A Might/Brick build (ala Supes, but w/o eye beams) is def the most 'standard' of the three you listed, and would prob be an easier starting point if you're still learning stuff. But I guess you can tackle it some other time if you like the other two concepts more.

Anyways, I should've asked earlier, but what other theme do you want for your pet build? Pets are scattered around different powersets w/ many different themes, and you'd still have your own attacks to consider as well. You can also skim the Petco guide in my signature if you want to learn a bit more about pets in CO overall.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    I wouldn't mind a sorcerer theme in terms of pets (traditional zombie or shadow fiend stuff). The only reason I picked might/brick last was because I don't usually do well with melee builds in mmo's, but I love it when they work. If you have a suggestion that's straightforward and easy to pull off in terms of rotation, I'll give it a try.
    edited April 2022
    Well, I'll give you both a pet build and a Might build for now. Mine as well, since the Might build is pretty easy anyways-

Here's the Pet build first, using Sorcery for your main attacks:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Support)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 18: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Conjuring
    Level 8: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Trance)
    Level 11: Compassion
    Level 14: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide, Cursed)
    Level 20: Soul Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Tyrannon's Familiar (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Void Horror (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: March of the Dead (Forced March)
    Level 35: Ritual of Ebon Summoning (Unbound Ritual)
    Level 38: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (2/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (1/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Commander: Evasive Action (1/2)
    Commander: Rapid Response (2/2)
    Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
    Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
    Commander: Durable (1/3)
    Commander: Savage (1/3)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

It's not an early leveling build (you can train in something like Eldritch Blast early on and re-train out of it later when you unlock powers like Soul Beam).

I went w/ AoPM as the slotted passive since it's the most versatile aura passive, but you could pick one of the other auras instead if you want a different focus (like AoED for pure dps, or AoRP for pure defense). The build's core attacks are pretty simple: just keep the Wisp up on your targets in general, use Soul Beam as your main single-target attack, and Skarn's Bane as your main AoE. Ofc you'll want to have your pets out too, and if one happens to die then you can always just re-summon it (you'll have to sometimes re-summon the zombies from March of the Dead anyways, since they're temporary). Resurgence can be a big heal for you, and Arcane Vit can be a basic heal for you or allies and pets. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Int and Con.

--

For the Might build, I'll give you a sturdy hybrid-dps to start out with. It won't do as much dmg as a committed dps build, but it'll have much better defenses. You can always change the slotted passive and role if you want to change the focus (like switching to the melee dps role and using an offensive passive like Unstoppable for more of a dps focus):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Hybrid)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 21: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Pummel)
    Level 6: Enrage
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Pulverizer
    Level 14: Demolish (Rank 2, Below the Belt)
    Level 20: Shockwave (Rank 2, Power Shift)
    Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Retaliation (Rank 2)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2)
    Adv. Points: 31/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (1/3)
    Strength: Overpower (2/3)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

The open power slots can be used for w/e ya want.

Shockwave can be used as a wide-ranging AoE that can group up enemies in a large area front of you (w/ its pull-in adv, Power Shift), and Defensive Combo can also be thrown in as an up-close AoE (and it can also be spammed if you want to play defensive w/ its innate dmg shield). For single-targets, you'll want to charge Demolish to apply & refresh its debuff, and otherwise use charged Haymaker as your main damaging attack. Also, if you don't want to knock trash mobs far out w/ Haymaker, then you can always use knocks from other attacks like Demolish, Shockwave, and Defensive Combo to build up knock immunity first (when the knock resist debuff hits 3 stacks). Regardless, Endorphin Rush and Resurgence (and Rush of Battle) can help heal you, while the Ultimate (UR) can add a bit of burst dmg. Gears mostly for Str, w/ some Rec and Con.
    I can't wait to try all of these builds! Many thanks!
    edited April 2022
    Sure thing. I guess we'll also get the TP/DoT build out of the way, to hopefully cover all of your current requests:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Witch (Con: 10, Int: 8, Pre: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Diplomatic (Int: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 9: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Negotiator (Int: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 21: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Psi Lash
    Level 1: Ego Blast (Rank 2, Mind Opener)
    Level 6: Telepathic Reverberation
    Level 8: Ego Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Mental Leech (Mental Weakness)
    Level 14: Shadow Manifestation
    Level 17: Ego Sleep (Plagued by Nightmares)
    Level 20: Mental Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Ego Sprites (Rank 2, Slave Mentality)
    Level 29: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)
    Level 32: Telekinetic Maelstrom (Rank 2, Expansive Intellect)
    Level 35: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 32/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Dominion (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (2/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (1/2)
    Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (2/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Sentinel: Genesis (1/2)
    Overseer: Administer (3/3)
    Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
    Overseer: Impact (2/2)
    Overseer: Trapped (3/3)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

The last power can be w/e ya want.

In general, you'll want to keep Mental Leech, Mental Storm, and Ego Sleep on cd, while filling time w/ Ego Blast. You can also throw in 2x Ego Sprites for some extra AoE DoT dmg (Sprites are a pbAoE, so you'll have to be close to your enemies to apply them). You can either tap or charge MStrom and Sleep depending on whether you want to quickly put up their debuffs (for dps) or focus more on their AoE CC aspects. Although it's a TK power, I also threw TK Maelstrom in there cause it's a nice large pbAoE w/ an AoE stun. The build can be a bit convoluted overall, and doesn't have as strong single-target dps as other dps builds, but can also be pretty capable and fun if you get the hang of it. You'll also be quite good in small-group content w/ this build (due to the large dmg boost some of your debuffs will give others, as well as the CC and background healing effects), even if it's not your main focus. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and Int.
    Awesome, thanks again. I'll definitely be purchasing some more FF slots if some decent sales ever roll around. Yeah, you mentioned the AI issue with those pets but I had no idea until I went to the training room with the minion build. The pets didn't even attack the mobs. When I pressed the attack button they go to the mobs and just stand there. Could you recommend any of the pets from your Petco write up that don't have those bugs (assuming they are decent for dps)?

I found also this one in a search. It doesn't really have the sorcerer theme but I'll get over it if it works.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1216791/gadgeteering-pet-solo-support-build

March of the Dead zombies are so slow!

You can also pick up devices to add some more pets.

Psionc Accelerator is a nice device for a telepathy build.
    JwLmWoa.png
    edited April 2022
    Well, March of the Dead's zombies at least have a ranged attack they can use.
    Yeah, you mentioned the AI issue with those pets but I had no idea until I went to the training room with the minion build. The pets didn't even attack the mobs. When I pressed the attack button they go to the mobs and just stand there.
    If you want, you can trying swapping one of the pet powers for Summon Nightmares (prob w/ R2 + Night Terror) in Telepathy. Using them on a target in combat can potentially kick the other pets into action, if they are having issues.
    Post edited by flowcyto on