test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thundrax is in peril!

2»

Comments

• xskulllopsxxskulllopsx Posts: 14 Arc User
    I hope he is well and that he will recover quickly. :)
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    I've got the positive news that Thundrax is once again back home-- and fingers crossed that this is the one for sure!
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    He was actually just on CO!
    Sadly I missed him but that's really great news
    I was able to talk to Thundrax today in game and his spirits seemed up, but I might have made him feel uncomfortable telling him how much we missed him and all that.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    Canada hasn't been the same without him!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited March 2022
    I had to erase the post, because... well.

Post edited by epelesker on
    ----
    Thank you for the update, I hadn't seen Thundrax online in quite a while and I was starting to get worried
  • numaman1990numaman1990 Posts: 205 Arc User
    Rest in Peace Thundrax.
    Hope to see you in heaven, happy to know you are no longer in pain.
    Take it easy big man, you are out to save the world in another grand adventure!
    Updated the previous post because he's gone.

I saw the news just after getting off an already stressful work shift so... processing. It's gonna be tough.

He won't see this, but all I want to say for now is thank you for everything.
    ----
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Aw, man. That's terrible. It seemed like he was turning the corner. Here's hoping that the devs can put up a monument to him somewhere. Someone who contributed so much to Champions deserves one.

How about a new Canada mission: Thundrax in Peril
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • tenebriswolftenebriswolf Posts: 54 Arc User
    Seconded. And as it often happens in comic book stories when a great hero falls, he now counts on us to take up the mantle and be the best heroes we can be, as he was for us.
    Mordykus on Dawn Radio
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I, too, support a monument in his honor in Champions Online, perhaps a statue in the park, to digitally represent what he has always been in real life: Thundrax, a stalwart fixture of the Champions setting/game/franchise.

Edit - thanks to Sapphie for pointing out that Scott personally wouldn't have wanted a memorial statue, I've thought about it and that's right. He's such a humble guy, he'd have been embarrassed about some gaudy monument to him. There are other ways to remember him, though, and I'm still thinking about that.

Thundrax As I Knew Him

I first met Thundrax outside of CO. I was trying to make game-related comics, shortly after it went Free-to-Play, and was posting my first one in the official Herogames website forum. I had made an edgy, extreme Blackredder, and even though 'Drax was more into classic 4 color heroes, he nonetheless gave me his honest support. His reply was like (not verbatim but close):

"It's not really my cup of tea...but good effort."

It was a great honor to be addressed by one of the original designers of the very setting I was trying to create content for...but at the time, I wondered if he was just calling me a tryhard. And, of course, after getting to know him, I realized that sentiment would've been alien to him. He was a very hardworking writer, like he would write an adventure for a bank robbery (in his sourcebook, Villainy Amok,) and one of the things he included was his research on how a large percentage of bank robbers were driven to it out of drug addiction.

What a mind he had to even think in those terms. Whereas I would only consider stopping some bank robbers, he was conceptualizing how to stop bank robberies, help those who would rob banks out of desperation before they would resort to crime...all the while he's writing a superhero adventure.

Best Thundrax Story I've Ever Heard

We all know how genuinely nice 'Drax was. My favorite story, however, was from someone who didn't even know who he was.

I had introduced a local friend to CO, helped him set up an account, since English is his second language. We sometimes played together, but other times he'd log on by himself. We met up one day in real life and he said to me in his native tongue:

"I saw a true hero in that superhero game."

He said that unironically, as in that language the word "hero" is used much more commonly. My friend went on to describe he was in the Canadian zone, doing the VIPER missions. Remember that one mission where you had to defeat a VIPER commander in the middle of their base? He flew there with his Jetpack Soldier Archetype, hovering, and there was a group hanging around there, presumably doing some roleplaying. He clicked on whom he presumed was the leader, and was preparing to send him a private message. Remember English is not his native language, so he must have struggled with the phrasing of his request.

So imagine my friend's relief when, even before he could type out his message, that 'Drax noticed him, anticipated his need to complete his mission, went off to one side...and told the group he was with to also make way for him. He was clearly grateful because he must have felt quite anxious as to relay the story to me afterwards. I asked him if he remembered this hero's name.

"It began with a 'T' and ended with an 'X," he replied. He might not have known the word "thunder," thus wouldn't have been able to relate it to "Thundrax."

But I had a pretty good idea of whom he spoke of, so I probed further, "Did he have red lightning bolts on his costume?"

My friend looked at me either in awe of my detective skills or in horror at how much I played CO to have accurately guessed at a random player in a MMO, "HOW DID YOU KNOW!?"

I told him how Thundrax was one of the original designers of the pencil & paper RPG CO is based on. His reaction was hilarious.

"WHAT, HE IS A SEMPAI!?"

He actually used our equivalent of the the Japanese word "sempai," meaning a more senior or high ranking member. To share the impact this information had on him, consider how in his culture seniority, whether in age or title, still meant a great deal to him. Like if he saw the game as a martial arts dojo, it was natural for junior students to stand aside and make way for senior students, because these older students are going to help them in their training. To him, Thundrax wasn't just a senior student, but the grandmaster and founder of that martial arts...thus, and this was semi-joking, but my friend thought he himself should have made way for Thundrax, not the other way around, like he had violated not just rules of decorum but those that governed the very fabric of space-time.

I let him ruminate on that for a bit, and he was so impressed with 'Drax's noble character, that he was impressed with himself for spotting it, "See...I told you, I saw a true hero," like this humble brag at his own skills of deduction.

I saw a true hero. Rest In Power, old friend.
    Post edited by tigerofcachtice on
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • metalheart#4270 metalheart Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Not only a really good character he was always super nice. Though I didn't know him as well. I leave not sorrow but honor. Stand proud for heroes never die. I share this song to remember. Heroes.
    https://youtu.be/AjZsGpTXb9U
    Bathory - Hammerheart
    "Now that the wind called my name
    And my star had faded now hardly a glimpse
    Up in the empty space
    And the wise one-eyed great father
    In the sky stilled my flame
    For the ones who stood me near
    And you few who were me dear
    I ask of thee to have no doubts and no fears
    For when the great clouds fills the air
    And the thunder roars from o, so
    Far away up in the sky
    Then for sure you will know that I have
    Reached the joyous hall up high
    With my bloodbrothers at side
    All sons of father with one eye
    We were all born in the land of the blood on ice
    And now you all who might hear my song
    Brought to you by the northern wind have no fear
    Though the night may seem so everlasting
    And forever dark
    There will come a golden dawn
    At ends of nights for all yee on whom
    Upon the northstar always shines
    The vast gates to hall up high
    Shall stand open wide and welcome you
    With all its within
    And Oden shall hail us bearers of a pounding
    Hammerheart"
    nJ54tmw.gifThis Is The Ghetto Gothix
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    The best way to remember this titan of our community is to remind ourselves of just how seriously he took the game, and his roleplaying. I am sad to have never had the chance to do more than give a few acknowledgements between my characters and his in the years I've been playing and roleplaying Champions Online.

Rest easy, venerable hero. You shined the way forward, so that we can advance and continue the good fight.

I would like to point this note out, found in the Personal Philosophies section of the vast PRIMUS Database:
    On Memorials: "I once looked into a city in a parallel dimension where they built giant statues of dozens of superheroes. Gaudiest things I'd ever seen, and the city was littered with them. I'm sure they were honorable men and women, however, I was appalled at the thought that someone might do the same for me when I'm gone. If someone does, I hope VIPER blows the damn thing up."
    So if Cryptic does intend for there to be a memorial, can I suggest that rather than a statue, maybe something more subtle, like a billboard, or posters on a few of the bus-stops?
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
    edited March 2022
    Maybe a Thundrax Sidekick, back up device or NPC as a memorial? All this talk of erecting statues makes me remember when I asked for my main to be a cosmic boss. Good times.
  • sapphiechusapphiechu Posts: 259 Arc User
    I think there's already a Thundrax AF. Might be in the Dev Vendor. Maybe push it out to the Questionite store instead so everyone can have their own little 'Drax to remember him by?
    3856039c53d222b47efa23bc56b3c976ccefd059.jpg
  • locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 320 Arc User
    He should have a statue at or near Force Station Steelhead. Somewhere important to who his character was, and where it can stand out as a Kingly figure of the north.

There's no one who's presence will be missed more in-world, or who's absence will leave such a void.
    They should have given us a Thundrax action figure while he was still alive
  • tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    He should have a statue at or near Force Station Steelhead. Somewhere important to who his character was, and where it can stand out as a Kingly figure of the north.

There's no one who's presence will be missed more in-world, or who's absence will leave such a void.

That's a great location for Thundrax, better than what I said about the park, thanks for bringing that up.

And perhaps instead of a person, just his symbol, a red thunderbolt against the white snow background. Edit - just removing my suggestion for a memorial, Sapphie's right to point out that's not what Scott would've wanted from what I know about him. I've had the night to think about it.
    Post edited by tigerofcachtice on
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • miorummiorum Posts: 42 Arc User
    sapphiechu wrote: »
    The best way to remember this titan of our community is to remind ourselves of just how seriously he took the game, and his roleplaying. I am sad to have never had the chance to do more than give a few acknowledgements between my characters and his in the years I've been playing and roleplaying Champions Online.

Rest easy, venerable hero. You shined the way forward, so that we can advance and continue the good fight.

I would like to point this note out, found in the Personal Philosophies section of the vast PRIMUS Database:
    On Memorials: "I once looked into a city in a parallel dimension where they built giant statues of dozens of superheroes. Gaudiest things I'd ever seen, and the city was littered with them. I'm sure they were honorable men and women, however, I was appalled at the thought that someone might do the same for me when I'm gone. If someone does, I hope VIPER blows the damn thing up."
    So if Cryptic does intend for there to be a memorial, can I suggest that rather than a statue, maybe something more subtle, like a billboard, or posters on a few of the bus-stops?

Quoting for emphasis.

If Thundrax were to get a statue - that essentially is "it" for the Big Guy, and I don't think that's right. Mr. Bennie's work is all over this game. Yes, I agree: a more subtle approach with references and remembrances is the way to go.
    In-game, I'm The_Kef -- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "That's really it for Champs."
    edited March 2022
    miorum wrote: »

Quoting for emphasis.

If Thundrax were to get a statue - that essentially is "it" for the Big Guy, and I don't think that's right. Mr. Bennie's work is all over this game. Yes, I agree: a more subtle approach with references and remembrances is the way to go.

Agreed.

Not to mention I think the character should be preserved as still alive and not fallen.

Please. Thundrax NPC in Canada giving quest. No depressing statues. Please.

edited March 2022
    miorum wrote: »
    sapphiechu wrote: »

Quoting for emphasis.

I see where you're coming from, but the gravity of that contribution needs to be celebrated. Alternatively I put a statue of Thundrax near the Cryptic building walking with a kid, holding their hand or something, perhaps in civilian garb to emphasize that it's Scott be celebrated.

The man's contribution needs to be honored. The character needs to be honored for all he has done, the character and the man.

Build him a statue.
    edited March 2022
    Something should be done. I don't feel like this can be downplayed in any way. So much of certain characters identities come from him or his work, mine included.

We can only benefit from a place where we can go to remember him, celebrate him, and teach other players about him and all he has done.
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    I would like to see Thundrax as a Sidekick, so we can always have him by our side, adventuring with us and protecting us
    It's on the Dev team to erect a statue of Scott himself, leaving Thundrax (just one of his many great characters) out of that portion.

But I feel like a Thundrax NPC with missions would mean new content. Since the Cryptic team is notoriously allergic to real workloads, this will likely never happen.

A sidekick is a clean, canonically correct way to honor him. Scott deserves a statue, but there's no money in it.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    And as Sapphiechu has repeatedly pointed out and been repeatedly quoted, Scott/Thundrax himself said he would not want a statue. If Scott didn't want a statue of his superheroic avatar, do you really think he'd want one of his real self?

Honoring his memory would be very appropriate, and several fine suggestions have been made on the forums already. But I would have trouble with calling something done against his wishes an honor.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    Should definitely NOT be a statue, that much is clear.

I don't have particularly warm feelings towards the idea of Thundrax being a Sidekick personally. Doesn't feel right to me. But that's just my opinion.

I'd prefer to see him as an active NPC in Force Station Steelhead.

- Could make him a mission giver and situate him near Celestar, The Constable and Ravenspeaker. Split the quests related to Tillingkoot between Celestar and Thundrax & Ravenspeaker.

My personal preference would be for all of the following:

1) Making Thundrax a patrolling NPC that has a flight pathway around Canada and rests in Force Station Steelhead in Canada for 5 mins. Thundrax would be tagged as immortal and occasionally can be seen engaging in aerial combat with some NPCs (preferably Canadian supervillains like Borealis or The Landsman). (would require a bit of work on the Dev side to intro Borealis or other Villains of the North)

2) During Patriot Events, Thundrax is a quest giver for Canada related missions and grants a Thundrax AF upon completion.

3) Thundrax is added to the UNITY 2 roster of Champions who are teamable in special assignments and given an appropriate build for it.
  • rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 102 Arc User

- Could make him a mission giver and situate him near Celestar, The Constable and Ravenspeaker. Split the quests related to Tillingkoot between Celestar and Thundrax & Ravenspeaker.

My personal preference would be:

1) Making Thundrax a patrolling NPC that has a flight pathway around Canada and rests in Force Station Steelhead in Canada. Is tagged as immortal and occasionally can be seen engaging in aerial combat with some NPCs (preferably Canadian supervillains like Borealis or The Landsman). (would require a bit of work on the Dev side to intro Borealis or other Villains of the North)

2) During Patriot Events, Thundrax is a quest giver for Canada related missions and grants a Thundrax AF upon completion.

3) Thundrax is added to the UNITY 2 roster of Champions who are teamable in special assignments and given an appropriate build for it.

I agree with this idea the most, it's definitely one that'd do him the most justice in my honest opinion
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    Another player (MountainHound) who is unable to post has requested I post his suggestion. Hound suggested the following with an accompanying image:

--

"With the recent passing of Scott Bennie, a man who fleshed out much of the games lore over many years of diligence, I think it would only be right to place a memorial overlooking the region that he inspired. While things like a statue of his most well known character, Thundrax, as well as other ideas have floated around, I think the following might be more appropriate for Scott himself. There is a ridge to the south of Steelhead, overlooking one of many of the creations that Scott was responsible for. A place where the majority of his more well known creations within the game reside. It is also adjacent to where players first entering the zone through the Canadian crisis find themselves.

I think it would be only right that a memorial plaque or grave be set up overlooking the complex. One that gives off the impression that not only is he still watching over the region, but something of a reminder to all those that pass through the Canada instance of the person who is responsible for much of what resides within it."

Image / mock up:

unknown.png

--
    Post edited by theravenforce on
    edited April 2022
    Hey much suggestions.

The median of suggestions pool...

*Thundrax NPC in Canada (Scott's name in Bio as one of is creations. He loved the game and contributed much. Etc.) The red and white would fit the Canada scene. If they want the NPC will salute people who enter Canada like defender in rencen
    *'Work for' Backup device in July

Statues, headstones, plaques be a infinite no.

Bim bam boom, nice simple subtle fair and not over the top.
    edited April 2022
    Should definitely NOT be a statue, that much is clear.

I don't have particularly warm feelings towards the idea of Thundrax being a Sidekick personally. Doesn't feel right to me. But that's just my opinion.

My personal preference would be for all of the following:

1) Making Thundrax a patrolling NPC that has a flight pathway around Canada and rests in Force Station Steelhead in Canada for 5 mins. Thundrax would be tagged as immortal and occasionally can be seen engaging in aerial combat with some NPCs (preferably Canadian supervillains like Borealis or The Landsman). (would require a bit of work on the Dev side to intro Borealis or other Villains of the North)

The only reason to not give Thundrax a statue is because the IP is not to be considered passed away. My thought was a memorial to Scott. Doesn't have to have likeness, just a memorial. A man who gives you so much of what you have to give, deserves celebration and recognition, if you care about anything but profit margins.

I've basically stopped playing until they do something.........anything to memorialize the man behind the only thing they have to offer outside of costuming.
    The only reason to not give Thundrax a statue is because Scott expressly said he didn't want one. Unless the feelings of the person you want to honor don't matter to you.

But I strongly doubt that Scott would want you to stop enjoying the game he loved because of him. If the devs are taking a little time to make sure they honor him in an appropriate way, I would suggest we allow them to take it. If it looks like they're just dragging their feet, then all of Scott's admirers should protest.
    bulgarex wrote: »
    But I strongly doubt that Scott would want you to stop enjoying the game he loved because of him. If the devs are taking a little time to make sure they honor him in an appropriate way, I would suggest we allow them to take it. If it looks like they're just dragging their feet, then all of Scott's admirers should protest.

I was headed down this road prior to hearing the news. This has just strengthened my resolve to either focus on using creative writing to do stuff with my IPs in the actual Champion format and try to make them worthy of a place in lore, or move on in life.

Cryptic did nothing about a lot of stuff on their own game that actually needed to be addressed/fixed/balanced in the interest of the game and business model...I'm holding zero hope for action or sentiment here.

Now that it's a Gearbox thing, I have even less faith. Neither company can see or has the capacity to do anything with the mountain of potential CO has in a time when super hero/villain stuff is more popular than it has ever, or will ever be again. In a time when everyone from small children to middle-aged women are obsessed to the core with super powered characters and storylines. Given that well documented fact, STO and other, newer games will continue to get all the attention whilst they keep CO on life support to collect what cash it draws in.

Nothing will be done. No one will protest. Nothing would be done if they did. This is why I stopped playing. When it shuts down, and that will be sooner than later, I want to be good and numb to it.
    It sounds like you have a lot of long-standing issues with Cryptic and its corporate owners, beyond the legacy of Thundrax. That's fair enough. But this topic is not an appropriate place to air them.
    bulgarex wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a lot of long-standing issues with Cryptic and its corporate owners, beyond the legacy of Thundrax. That's fair enough. But this topic is not an appropriate place to air them.

They were brought up in direct relation to this issue: What will Cryptic and Corporate owners to honor this man.

Sorry if you don't like what I'm saying, or how I'm saying it.