test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Freedom Flight: The Creation of a Hero (A Blog by Crusader6628)

locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 331 Arc User
edited January 2022 in Fan Base Alpha
FREEDOM FLIGHT
The Creation of a Hero

(A Blog by Crusader@6628)

Hello, and thank you for joining me. With this blog I aim to chronicle the process of developing my new toon and RPC, Freedom Flight, as closely as I can with as much detail as possible for those who can benefit from or even enjoy the process. This toon is not my first attempt at an All-American CO Original, but it is my first viable one, and since his very early development has proven to be so meaty, I've decided to blog that process for fun.

What we know about Freedom Flight already is that he is introduced through the Northwatch stories via one of North's villains, Toy maker. The currently available details on that plotline and background are available on North's PRIMUS page. Freedom Flight was among one of the twelve heroes and villains Toy Maker imprisoned as living action figures. These missing heroes were dubbed by the press as the Maker's Dozen, as they were believed to have been captured by the prolific super villain when he was captured in 1996.

For nineteen agonizing years, all twelve men and women remained stuck in their action figure packages and the grip of plastic immortality. They are freed by Northwatch when he is added to the collection by a now free, but relapsing Toy Maker. Since North's powers are fed to him by Akna, an Inuit deity, his powers are able to breach the dampening packages they've been trapped in, and he breaks his plastic face shield, falling to the concrete floor as the others ignite with a ruckus of rekindled hope.

Upon freeing themselves as a team, using all their combined strengths and skills, they regain their human forms with the exception of Killswitch, who mutilated his action figure form using is own pinky fingers to the point it could no longer sustain him. Each of the dozen undergo enormous struggle trying to merge into the 21st century, but Freedom Flight's struggle is particularly stated.

When he was captured in 1995, he had a baby son who grew up to be a super hero 19 years later. This is one of Flight's worst fears. Their relationship is difficult and awkward at first, with Flight not even knowing his son is into heroics until media exposure leads to him recognizing his own son in costume. But over and above this, when Flight is finally released, his wife, Liberty Kid's mother, has remarried twelve years ago.

This is all we know now.

First step was his suit. After 3 drafts, I got a nice 90s All-American look that wasn't too heavy or gimmicky in my humble opinion.

This is the master Character Sheet I use for my CO originals to summarize them for OOC peer consumption. As the blog progresses, all development and work will be added to this sheet.

51828316301_a0de6936fa_o.png

51781146974_9dba533ae0_o.png

Name: WIP

Alias: Freedom Flight

Press Moniker: WIP

Species: Human

Birth: WIP

Death: WIP

Resides: WIP

Affiliations: Watchdogs, Maker's Dozen, WIP

Color Scheme: Navy, Red, White

Powers:
  • TBD: -
  • Flight: the ability to maintain flight

Skills: WIP

Equipment: WIP

Allies: TBD, Northwatch

Enemies: WIP

Motives:

Personality:

Background:

Spouse: TBD

Offspring: WIP (Liberty Kid)

Thanks for joining me on this quest to create a hero. More to come soon.
Post edited by locochoco#7652 on

Comments

• locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    The Name is Everything

When creating a hero, usually the name is the last thing I settle on, with it being informed by whatever development surrounds the character. This was a special case where I knew I'd get the job done anyway, and had Liberty Kid in development as portion of White Talon's continuity pending his own portion. Using the story arc of the Maker's Dozen, with them remerging into life after nineteen years, never having aged a day, I thought it would make a great story and give a bit of background motive to Liberty Kid.

I settled on Freedom Flight because it's different, and it has a wonderful ring to it. But now I need to put thought into the name, and justify it. You could say, "But North, just give him a new one later if you need to," but I've been down the All-American Patriot road, hahaha. It's a hard niche to work within so far as alter ego names go. I like Freedom Flight, and I had had this fleeting notion of an origin for the name.

When it comes to alter ego handles and nicknames, I have three favored traditional methods.
    1. Press Dubbed: When media exposure leads to a nickname being given to them for headline bait, resulting in the character adopting or amalgamating parts of it to pull an alter ego out for themselves.
    2. Given: When another character suggests or gives the hero or villain their name. Whether it's a suggestion, something taken from a statement, a formal bestowing of a Champion, or a mantle handed down.
    3. Chosen: When a hero gives themselves a name based on some significance or meaning.

With Flight I'm leaning toward Press Dubbed, because it's so wordy and off-beat.

The idea I had was that he performs some sort of heroic act pre-costume, pre-vigilante career. He is reported simply as the stranger who saved everyone, and flew away. When asked by the dangerous gang members why he would risk his life and cross the gangs of M. City, he makes some sort of sincere, yet patriotic remark about it being America where honest hard working people shouldn't have to look over their shoulder at night.

That's the sort of angle I'll work from when coming up with an origin for his later ego name. He is supposed to be the boy scout-type hero, and an average guy who is just about doing what's right because he has more capability to act than most.

More to come soon.

Went over to Cooltext and drafted some title art for the character.

Went over to Cooltext and drafted some title art for the character.

Jesus christ... That has to be changed. lmao