test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Inter-Galactic Law Enforcement or Bounty Hunter Organizations/Jurisdictions

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
edited January 2022 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
I was retconning a character today and got to wondering about this. Are there any organizations in CO lore that have galaxy-wide (or approximating that) jurisdiction to go after criminals, wherever they are? Not like Green Lanterns. Think beat cop/detective or bounty hunter. Are there any inter-galactic organziations that license and regulate bounty hunters? E.g. if an earth demon committed a crime in Qulaar space, then fled to Gadroon space, who would have the "legal" right to go after it?

The original character was a marshal in the old west, who, because of a curse, has continued his law career for over 150 years. I'm imagining that his record somehow got to the ears of an alien law enforcement organization (or perhaps a group of bounty hunters) that offered to hire him on and gave him some new super tech to aid him (hence the justification for the retcon). His new name is N.I.M.R.O.D. = Nano-Initiated Mobile Remoted Ordnance Dreadnought (at least until I come up with something better ;) ).
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    There's nothing exactly like you're describing. Planetary and interstellar polities interact with each other much like nations do on Earth. They may have treaties and cooperate in trade, defense, and/or intelligence, but legal authority and law enforcement rarely extends across borders. The Star*Guard (CU Green Lantern Corps analogue) is welcomed by some alien governments as adjuncts to their own law enforcement, but others reject them (mostly those with their own unethical practices). The Malvans frequently hire bounty hunters to bring them aliens to compete in their gladiatorial games, but of course that has little to do with law or justice.

Now, I do have an alternative suggestion that's a little more off the wall. In the CU the Galaxars are a class of immortal alien beings with vast cosmic power, similar to Marvel Comics' Elders of the Universe in that they devote themselves to a particular activity and/or area of study. The Galaxar called the Lawbringer (fully written up in Champions Beyond) is obsessed with law and justice. Sometimes this is just an interest in how different civilizations define those concepts, but the Lawbringer is more infamous for passing judgement on individuals, nations, whole planets and races, and enacting punishment up to and including annihilation. In the official future CU time line he will destroy the home world of the Qularr.

Although there's no mention of this tactic in the lore, I could see the Lawbringer noticing your character and deciding he would make a fine "deputy" dealing with those criminals Lawbringer doesn't have the time to handle personally. He'd be more than able to provide NIMROD with any weapons or powers you'd like him to have. AFAICT Lawbringer's authority isn't recognized by any extant civilization, but since very few beings or races in the galaxy are powerful enough to stop him, that wouldn't concern him.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If that wouldn't work for you, another possibility might be the alien race called the Se'ecra, for whom there's a capsule description on The Alien Thread. Se'ecra are known to meddle in the affairs of other races (with the best of intentions), and I could imagine a rationale for them sponsoring an agent with useful skills from another species. Again, as per the Lawbringer, they have no acknowledged intra-galactic legal authority. Again, that's not necessarily a concern for them. ;)
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Thanks for the tips. The latter sounds closer to what I have in mind. The first sounds a bit like the Galactus-Silver Surfer relationship and this guy isn't supposed to be so cosmic. More the kind of guy who kicks in the door at a gang bar and goes in guns a blazing.

The original character is a mutant electricity build, so I might go with him recovering the armor/space suit of a dying Se'ecra explorer, and after investigating it discovers that his mutant power super charges the armor while he wears it, making it even more powerful than before. The Se'ecra decide to let him keep the suit since he uses it for a beneficial service.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    Sounds reasonable.

FWIW for my own PnP use of the Lawbringer, I had him appoint various deputies, called Magistrates, who shared his principles, to do what he did but on a smaller scale. He gave them powers and artifacts to support that mission, although they weren't quite on Silver Surfer level.